Study Discussion (2 Viewers)

HSC
N/A
Re: What is next for the 09er's?

Doctor Jolly said:
For me it will be: implementing the internet ban (again) and probably do the regular 5 hours of study a night and go to less football matches (hence dropping my Sydney Swans membership for a year :()
dropping your Sydney Swans membership for a year! u still have to watch their games ok :uhhuh:

the-derivative

BCom/LLB (UNSW)
HSC

4theHSC said:
Internet ban is never a good choice... I actually have a new laptop that i will use to type my notes and who knows, the internet can be very benificial if you use it rightly. So no an internet ban will not work and you do need some refreshments from studying... You see people always think that they are determined enough to stay without sme of their leisures, but the truth of the matter is that you will just burn out much quicker and pretty much give up.
True - if I had an internet ban - I'd still let myself go on the internet for 1-2 hours a day after I've completed my study.

Doctor Jolly

. Per Aspera Ad Astra *
HSC

4theHSC said:
Internet ban is never a good choice... I actually have a new laptop that i will use to type my notes and who knows, the internet can be very benificial if you use it rightly. So no an internet ban will not work and you do need some refreshments from studying... You see people always think that they are determined enough to stay without sme of their leisures, but the truth of the matter is that you will just burn out much quicker and pretty much give up.
I know what you're saying, and that's why my internet ban comes with exceptions. When I say internet ban, I mean banning myself from gaming sites, facebook, BoS and all other things that do not help with my learning process. If for example, i needed help with a maths question, of course, I would allow myself to go onto the internet and ask it on BoS but I would not allow myself to go on the Prelim Section or whatever to chat so freely as I am doing right now.

As for the refreshments, refreshments in my opinion would be walking around the house for 5 minutes and talking to my sister or listening to music for about 1/2 hour before I go to sleep. Plus, with the internet ban, it only lasts for 1 week so that means I get to go on the interet every Friday and 'refresh' myself with that.

So I do in fact, implement, in my opinion, my internet ban efficiently.
barbecuedflava said:
dropping your Sydney Swans membership for a year! u still have to watch their games ok
Well, I'm not dropping it completely (I do want that 10 year loyalty pin in 2017!). I'm just going to be holding the $70 Standard Ticket Holder which does not include entry into 11 home games instead of the usual $150 Concession Ticket Holder which does include entry to 11 home games :)

Last edited:
HSC

Doctor Jolly said:
I know what you're saying, and that's why my internet ban comes with exceptions. When I say internet ban, I mean banning myself from gaming sites, facebook, BoS and all other things that do not help with my learning process. If for example, i needed help with a maths question, of course, I would allow myself to go onto the internet and ask it on BoS but I would not allow myself to go on the Prelim Section or whatever to chat so freely as I am doing right now.

wow, that's dedication. :eek: impressive

and a lot of self control too, congrats.

the-derivative

BCom/LLB (UNSW)
HSC
Re: study time

lyounamu said:
Yeah, it's more about studying effectively rather than studying more.

The workload that I have gone through this year is very similar to last year's but my results this year are more promising. I attribute this to my improved study method.
Yeah - I think I need to study smarter next term. I haven't been studying smart this year so far - but ah well.. never too late to change methods.

HSC

the-derivative said:
Yeah - I tried doing the same thing (stole the idea of her :p) and failed.
So it's not an easy thing to do.
I've tried, and failed on countless occasions too :(

i wonder how she does it...

4theHSC

HSC

melanieeeetroll said:
I've tried, and failed on countless occasions too :(

i wonder how she does it...
I don't even bother, i use the internet at my leisure time in which i have been doing and will be doing all of the 2 weeks. The best thing is that you use it at your leisure time, I mean surely no one is going to start studying the HSC 6 hours from the start. As the work gets harder and more required the hours of study increase. Don't look at it as hours... think of it as how much work you need to do at that day. So yea

Doctor Jolly

. Per Aspera Ad Astra *
HSC

the-derivative said:
Yeah - I tried doing the same thing (stole the idea of her :p) and failed.
So it's not an easy thing to do.
Ahh.. the first week was hard. But then I got use to it and BAM! 2 months of the internet ban had passed :) I'm actually on a BoS ban right now ...

the-derivative said:
Yeah - I think I need to study smarter next term. I haven't been studying smart this year so far - but ah well.. never too late to change methods.
How do you study smarter? I've been doing the same thing since Year 7 so I don't really know how to study smarter :(

the-derivative

BCom/LLB (UNSW)
HSC

Doctor Jolly said:
Ahh.. the first week was hard. But then I got use to it and BAM! 2 months of the internet ban had passed :) I'm actually on a BoS ban right now ...

How do you study smarter? I've been doing the same thing since Year 7 so I don't really know how to study smarter :(
LOL

You can study smarter - mainly by basing all your study on the syllabus and only doing what is required - well that's my interpretation of studying smarter.

Doctor Jolly

. Per Aspera Ad Astra *
HSC

the-derivative said:
LOL

You can study smarter - mainly by basing all your study on the syllabus and only doing what is required - well that's my interpretation of studying smarter.
Yeah I already do that (well, maybe not for economics ... ). So that's studying smarter? Where's Namu? Enlighten us!

pwoh

O_O
HSC
Uni Grad
Doctor_Jolly said:

As for the refreshments, refreshments in my opinion would be walking around the house for 5 minutes and talking to my sister or listening to music for about 1/2 hour before I go to sleep. Plus, with the internet ban, it only lasts for 1 week so that means I get to go on the interet every Friday and 'refresh' myself with that.

I wish I could do that...the most productive day of my life was when I pulled out my modem and stuck a Post-it on it: "MUST NOT PROCRASTINATE".

Maybe I should do that more often.

Timothy.Siu

Prophet 9
HSC
hmm internet ban/computer ban sounds interesting. I mite try it out, but i also think i need a new work place instead of on my computer desk :)

the-derivative

BCom/LLB (UNSW)
HSC
Doctor Jolly said:
Thank you Without Wings!

LOL! My computer desk is too small to do any work in, so it's pretty good for my internet ban. But honestly, self control is all you need.
LOL - so that's your secret.
My computer desk outside is pretty big, so I can easily work on it, and I have a study desk next to the computer in my room - so it's harder for me :p

Timothy.Siu

Prophet 9
HSC
the-derivative said:
My computer desk outside is pretty big, so I can easily work on it, and I have a study desk next to the computer in my room - so it's harder for me :p
lol i think i hav a solution that may work for me, i mite go to the library after school everyday =)

Timothy.Siu

Prophet 9
HSC
the-derivative said:
LOL - that was what I was thinking of doing.
Pain in the ass getting home though.
lol well for me i cud walk home wich wud take 10-15mminutes or i cud always ask my parents to drive me home and they probably wud seeing that i was working sooooo hard in the library!:read:

Doctor Jolly

. Per Aspera Ad Astra *
HSC
the-derivative said:
Ouch. That does sound hard. Don't worry Nathan, just apply a little self control and you'll get there!

Timothy.Siu said:
lol i think i hav a solution that may work for me, i mite go to the library after school everyday =)
I honestly don't touch the library unless I want some of their books. I can't really work in a library because it's always so quiet and there's people walking around and they distract me. Also, in a library there's bound to be some kid crying because they can't find Wally in 'Where's Wally?' and that just really bugs me. The distance is also a problem.

the-derivative

BCom/LLB (UNSW)
HSC
Doctor Jolly said:
Ouch. That does sound hard. Don't worry Nathan, just apply a little self control and you'll get there!

I honestly don't touch the library unless I want some of their books. I can't really work in a library because it's always so quiet and there's people walking around and they distract me. Also, in a library there's bound to be some kid crying because they can't find Wally in 'Where's Wally?' and that just really bugs me. The distance is also a problem.
That's the opposite for me, at the library it's always noisy and I see people I know who come up to me and talk to me.... also there's a lot of things to do outside the library - so I get distracted.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)