Study Discussion (1 Viewer)

HSC
Re: Exams approaching too quickly...Advice required.

I guess the best advice I can give is to do your best in the first lot of assessments and exams.

At the start of year 12, I went through the effort of trying to get the highest marks I can in the first lot of assessment tasks and exams so I can get an early lead from the rest of the cohort.

So yeah...Just do your Best :)

Aplus

HSC
N/A
Re: Exams approaching too quickly...Advice required.

Constantly revise/study once a week for every subject. I mean, not studying a few weeks or month/s before the exam, but just consistently studying all the time and building it up.

Mountain Megz

HSC
Well unlike this year, next year will not be a burn out :burn: for me! I find that i am much more relaxed with my studies if I keep going to the gym, riding my horses and doing farm work than sitting on a chair studying every possible thing and gaining weight!

I am still doing well at school though and I still have time for study.
My rules for studying are;

- Do not study to early hours of morning! unless you have been lazy and need to get an assignment/homework in, don;t use it as punishment.
- Study by the syllabus of all subjects.
- During the week I like to go by this acronym
H = Homework
A = Assessments
S = Study
- When studying poetry in english, I like to annotate them with bright text boxes to make it easier to read when revising the poetry before an exam.
- Film - If studying a film in english, I like to watch it/listen to it while I am studying either English or maths. I find it helps me memorise quotes, and enhance my understranding of the film.
- I don;t have a strict study time table. I find it is easier not to as my life has too much variation. I like to study subjects that I found i didn't quiet understand that day or what I feel like doing. It is no good trying to study maths or something if you are sick of it.
- If I don;t feel like studying or I am too tired, I just browse this website, it is a form of study! providing you read!
- Make the most of each lesson - I never bludge, always write notes off the board, write down notes from your teacher's explanations. At the end of each lesson while everyone is packing up, read the board, read your notes, read questions or something! Ask questions! always ask your teacher - make them work.
- Don't set high expecatations that you can't meet. For example if you get 65% in a maths test and you aimed for 80% you will probaly just disapoint yourself. Based on your last exams, estimate your performance.

- Hand in drafts of all essays, assessments and speechs to get them verified by your teacher prior to the due date. This will allow your teacher to tell you if you are on the right track or not.

- Each Friday afternoon/ Saturday make sumaries of each weeks work for each subject.

- Have FOLDERS for each subject, loose leaf paper and a notebook. Loose leaf paper allows you to scribble and do study notes while your notebook is just for classwork.:headbang: :read:

kara42

HSC
Mountain Megz, thank you so much for that. It was so helpful.

pannie

HSC
can anyone advise a way of studying

omg lately its been so stressing. practically everything you do counts towards the HSC. i had the first HSC assessment for business and it wasnt so great. it was aboslutely terrible as a matter of fact. horrible. and its worth 25% i only have 10 units. my Adv. english teacher talks in riddle. the only good ting about him is that he did 4 unit maths but still completely hard to understand dont know what to do. ive been trying to study for my exams coming up and it just doesnt work. i remember it for the time being then after an hour. whoosh its gone. for christmas i want a brain ==". thanks! xoxo

Stoogey

HSC
Re: can anyone advise a way of studying

Get off the BoS forum

or

Disconnect internet

:)

HSC
Re: can anyone advise a way of studying

pannie said:
practically everything you do counts towards the HSC.
Yes, thats how it works
;)

pannie said:
. ive been trying to study for my exams coming up and it just doesnt work. i remember it for the time being then after an hour. whoosh its gone. for christmas i want a brain ==". thanks! xoxo
Perhaps critically look at the way that you are studying. It seems as though what you're doing at the moment is not working. Are you just reading the material? If so you need to be more active with your study, such as making notes or answering focus questions.

HSC
Re: Study advice for the holidays!

stellina91 said:
Hi everyone,

Yesterday was the last day of school for me so now I am on holidays for eight weeks. Is this the best time to prepare for next year? Should I finish my notes or read parts of textbooks so I will be ahead. As it is a long period I don't want to waste it, I want to make the most of it because I know next year the holidays will be super busy. Anyone got any tips or advice?

Thanks in advance.
I would make sure that I was on top of everything that you did this term. Half yearlies will be around before you know it, and this will make things much easier.

-maddie-

HSC
Re: study time

I have already been making summaries. With only doing an hour a night I am up to date with everything. Hopefully I can continue this throughout the entire HSC year.

fallingstar

HSC
in the holidays i'm planning on going over all of my syllabus dot point notes for science, do loads of questions for maths, learn quotes from as you like it and my related texts for english, and do heaps of prac work for art.

and practice essays and creative writing!

phew!

dp624

HSC
fallingstar said:
in the holidays i'm planning on going over all of my syllabus dot point notes for science, do loads of questions for maths, learn quotes from as you like it and my related texts for english, and do heaps of prac work for art.

and practice essays and creative writing!

phew!
Good Luck! I mean this sincerely! Cos that's a lot of work. =P

stellina91

HSC
Mindmaps for everything??

Hi guys,

Just interested in your opinion, I am considering using mind maps to do all my notes as I believe this is the way to go and if you do it well it can increase your marks. What do you think?

Sarah182

Herpes Member
HSC
Re: Mindmaps for everything??

Mind maps are great for summarising and can be very useful I agree, however using the syllabus as the core for all your notes is the way to go I have found.
Just use the syllabus dot-point as the heading and make a few notes, from there maybe you could make mind maps which further summarises your notes?

We all learn in different ways, do whatever suits you best :)

-may-cat-

Tired Member
HSC

They can be very helpful, but i would use other note taking forms as well, mind maps tend to be a bit to general at times.

TunaFish

HSC

No method of note taking and/or studying automatically guarantees that it will "increase your marks". What works for others may be ineffective and a waste of time for you. Or conversely, it may do wonders.

I have a friend who is topping most of her subjects and her notes (esp Ad English) are entirely organised using diagrams, tables and mindmaps.

Personally, I find mindmaps useless. The only time I would use them is to test myself on knowing the syllabus dotpoints.

Dyne

HSC

I did that tooooo!

If it works for you, STICK TO IT!

paperplanes

HSC

Each to their own. I personally can't stand mind maps, and find it impossible to study from them.

Dan2008

HSC

I've been told doing notes in as many formats as possible seriously boosts your marks!

I would do detailled notes under syllabus dot points, then maybe a summarised mind map. If you wanted you could instead create a shorter summary, some flash cards, mp3s, posters ...

The possibilities are endless, just dont do TOO much, the most important part is reviewing notes, not creating them :)

thommy

HSC
N/A
I got 73 for Eco overall...

and only studied by reading the summaries in the MacQuarie study guide. The MacQuarie book itself is only a brief summary book, and I was reading summaries of summaries lol. Don't knock those study guides! I know 73 isn't great, but it is good for Eco, for only looking at a line for each dot point.

moll.

Learn to science.
HSC
Re: I got 73 for Eco overall...

thommy said:
and only studied by reading the summaries in the MacQuarie study guide. The MacQuarie book itself is only a brief summary book, and I was reading summaries of summaries lol. Don't knock those study guides! I know 73 isn't great, but it is good for Eco, for only looking at a line for each dot point.
So what?
I got 87 with only four hours study. And none the day before, because i was preoccupied with Modern History and Maths Ext 2.
Studying for Economics is pointless, unless you're memorising definitions or formulas.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)