Study game: Germany (1 Viewer)

Gregor Samsa

That Guy
HSC
1.Popular pacifistic feeling.
2.A means of winning more time to re-militarise.

When did membership of the Hitler Jugend become mandatory?

s2ophie

HSC
1 december 1936

When were trade unions made illegal?

Gregor Samsa

That Guy
HSC
2nd May 1933.

Who was leader of the 'German Labour Front', and what was the name of the initative designed to create support by giving workers subsidised holidays and so-forth?

emily

Robert ley, Strength through Joy (and also there was Beauty of Work or something...)

When did operation Barbarossa start and why did it fail?

Chelle

June 22 1941

Hitlers troops were unprepared for the conditions they faced due to delays in the operation, failure to take Moscow when the chance arrived, constant changes in the plan, moving Army Group Centre to the south.

My Question..

What were the great achievements of Stresemann?

jgirl:).....

great achievements were *His great organsiational skills as foreign minister, his skill and ability
*Convincing German people to not be so hostlie towards signing League of Nations in 1926
*was one who really wanted to restore German pride and honour
During period from 1924-29 through strong leadership, he achieved many goals through careful diplomacy. He worked to restore Germany to a great European power through peaceful negotiation.
Seeked msotly do undo justice of TOV, be accepted in Treaty's. His role in Dawes and Young plan

Chat1

Stressman also:
* Balanced the budget, which resulted in a loss of 900,000 civil service jobs.
* Ceased Passive resistnace in the Ruhr, which meant France left
* Installed new currency to combat hyperinflation (cant remember what currency was called?)

*10#

For totalitarianism
- Hitler appeared to have secured absolute power
* Had the backing of the conservative and elites who eventually decided Hitler was the best solution to depression and was anti-marxist
* secured the support of the army and officer corps - night of long knives eliminates SA threat and army swear an oath of unconditional obedience to him
* referendum held in August 1934 ppl confident with Hitler as Fuhrer and Reich Chancellor
* one party state by July 1934 therfore no political opposition
- Hitler's foreign policy success and social achievements led to support for the regime (propaganda)
* strength through joy
* 'blood and soil' campaigns created unity
* the development of the alleged Volksgemeinshaft = ppls community loyal to nation + no class barriers
* Fuhrer myth - Hitler born leader and everyone else bron followers

- Totalitarian state because opposition totally repressed ( terror)
* Gestapo Law - immunity from courts ppl could be killed w/out trial
* Reichstag Fire Decree = enabled legal terror
*Jewish racial policy - Nuremburg Laws etc.
* all opponents regime locked up deported to concentration camps

Hitler demanded total power
- heil hitler salute
- nuremburg rallies and party parades - gave the appearance of fanatical support fo Hitler

- Evidence against the argument of totalitarianisn

* Hitler never had absolute power had to share it with army officer corps, conservatives, big business
* Volksgemeinschaft never a reality only a myth
* Gleichschaltung = coordination, the Nazi state was actually far from well ordered it was in a state of chaos. Heirachy intriguing for place in Hitler's inner circle working against one another to please their Fuhrer
* Hitler a weak and lazy leader not a dictator - oratorical performances gave him the appearance of greatness
* Despite terror campaigns opposition remained esp after the war started to turn against Germany - ppl outwardly conformed but privately condemned and ridiculed Nazi policy - many Germans hid Jews and other opponents of the regime
* Delaying total war till 1941 proved that the Nazis were not in complete control of civilian population otherwise would have had total war from beginning
* Germany appeared to be an effective totalitarain state but in reality it was chaotic and only superficially unified

My question after all that is: Explain the development of total war

Last edited:

Benno

HSC
Germany failed to reach a total war effort untill 1943 (when speer took over)
This was because Hitler did'nt want to put a strain on Germany

i think thats right

Gregor Samsa

That Guy
HSC
Originally posted by Benno
Germany failed to reach a total war effort untill 1943 (when speer took over)
This was because Hitler did'nt want to put a strain on Germany

i think thats right
Just to expand slightly, 'Total War' was originally deemed un-desirable by Hitler, concious of the feeling that similar policies had engendered in the First World War. In order to prevent discontent, consumer production was maintained throughout the early years of the war, and indeed, armaments production was reduced in 1941, in light of the belief that Barbarossa would be a resounding victory.

However, 'Total War' would develop following the end of large-scale blitzkrieg tactics, increases in armaments production and the great losses suffered in battles such as Stalingrad. Total War itself was proclaimed by Goebbels in February 1943. From this point, much consumer production was curtailed, with armament production as a portion of GNP expanding greatly (Reaching 115% in 1944).

'Total War' reached perhaps it's full extent in 1944-45, with arms production reaching a peak of 322 (Against a 1941 index of 98), the establishment of the Volksturm (All 'able' males aged 16-60 required to fight), and the development of wunderwaffen such as the V-2 and Me-262. 'Total War' was also a propaganda device, the entire German 'volk' being presented as working for the war effort. (Throughout 'Total War', genocidal killing of the Jews and other 'undesirables' continued unescalated..)

Outline German relations with the Roman Catholic Church. (Please.)

emily

to begin with the church was eager to connect itself with nazis and show support, as the nazis promised to help them and let them remain in control of the education system.
peace concordat (think thats it?!) signed with vatican in mid 1933
then in 1936 education was nazified - but by this point all to scared to really complain.
protested over two issues - T-4 euthanasia policy and the removal of crucifixes from classrooms.
despite Nazis trying to reduce church's influence church attendance in 1939 had only dropped slightly, was even stronger during the war.

did hitler always intend to go to war?

Chat1

Short answer: Yes, he did. This can be seen right from his induction as chancellor. He began testing the allies, for example re-occupying Rhineland, building up ariforce and enforcing conscription. His intentions can also be seen in the Hossbach Memrodaim (wrong spelling) in which he began to prepare his generals for war.

Someone may have to elebarate on this answer...

Question: How can militarism in German politics be seen from 1918-1933?

lazybum

HSC
N/A
This is an answer to the question about how did nazis use nationalism to gain and consolidate power . sorry i messed up the order!!!!

The Nazi's initially campaigned about teh failure of T of V. Said it was Weimar's fault for depression, failure of ww1 and Treaty of versailles. said weimar was the product of the allies such as USA France, Russia. Especially campaigned about Russia and Bolshevism, said they were the 'terrors of the earth.' Also with Bolshevism was the jews 'our misfortune.'

Therefore in order to get rid of Weimar, democracy, jews, bolsheviks, allies, etc etc hitler and his nazi pals disseminated propaganda stating the superiority and ethnocentrism of the German nation. The fuhrer myth was especially helpful in centralising theis call for nationalism (now the people had a leader - a messiah to focus on.)

This nationalism attracted many of the people dying from depression: farmers, and the unemployed such as the youth. Also attracted industrialists and the junker class who were sick of Weimar republican ethos and who wanted to return to a social heierachy where they could be superior to their fellow germans. the army especially hated weimar republic ( as seen in failed kapp putsch ) and although they were weary of hitler voted for him rather than the left.

Consequently in 32' Hitler posessed votes. After depression seats in Reichstag jumped form 12 to 107 showing the support he had. At this time he was very careful to gain votes legitimately . SS and Gestapo were doing things but behind the scenes, so it seemed that Hitler and his mates would takeover the German state for a thousand years.

Once he got into power things changed . Of course hitler stilll had to encourages suport of working class and peasansts , and he did this through emphasising their support to the race. ie 'blood and soil' and robert Ley's work schemes strength thru joy and 'beauty of labour.' Propaganda was vital for maintaining this support. Reichsfilmkammer headed by goebbels to take over all propaganda means, thus influencing nation. Other nationalistic ideals were emphasised thru propaganda ie lebensborn - giving a kid to the nation, Youth League and Hitlers;s german league of maidens.

The burning of Reichstag was the watershed which turned things on its head in NSDAP germany. Hitler then employed use of enabling Act to 'counteract' the 'terrorists' and 'communists' who burned the reichstag. This meant also a change of tactic: hitler could now do terror but through legit means. He had become ultimate dictator and the authority of power in Germany.

As ultimate dictator hitler could enforce nationalism. He had the propaganda and terror to do it . Of course, in the beginning he wasn't so mean , it is true that 6 million jobs were available that hadn't been in weimar period. Holiday packages, notion of volkswagon got people to vote for hitler, however in peoples's hearts and minds some ppl were terrified, but could do nothing about it, cause Gleichshaltung was firmly in place. This meant Hitler was supreme dictator , henchmen goebbels gorin and hess eg under, adn the entire nation looking up to them in a social hierachy.

Concludingly, Hitler used nationalism t ogain support of people but as soon as he came to power he manipulated them. He wasn;t doing what they wanted rather they were doing what he wanted thus Gleichsaltung. Hitler could rule the Reich for a thousand years.

Ok um Q: how was hiter committed to total war from the start? or was he? u decide !!!!!!!
hehehehehehe

Last edited:

Chat1

Ha ha, thats a nice little essay. But where did I say anything about Hitler coming to power? I said explain MILITARISM in politics from 1919-1933. Your eassy is good, u know ur stuff. But if you wrote that to the question i asked you would get like 5/20. I did a similar thing ( not answering question properly) and got a simlar mark in my trials.

emily

argh that militarism one was my evil trial question.

i just babbled about how the remilitarisation and focus the nazis put on importance of army etc meant that the army had more power in gov't etc. this can be seen as an argument against hitler having always intended to go to war etc.

*10#

yeah dat militarism one was scary i doubt we will get something that narrow on thursday maybe militarism 1918-1945 ( i wish )

anyways since no ones gunna answer dat one i will go another Q

- explain the role of women under nazism ?????

Chelle

Women under Nazism were expected to maintain a healthy lifestyle. Children Chuch and Kitchen.

In the League of German Maidens women learnt minor educational subjects like Math and Science but focussed more on Physical fitness and domestic abilities such as sewing and cooking. The idea was that the Women were to birth the new leaders for the third reich. They learnt how to become good wives and good mothers.

They were discouraged from becomming to thin, as they believed that would harm their abilities to have children. Sexual promiscuity was encouraged and especially if it was with a member of the SS. An award system was put in place to reward mother who had big families.. (i think when you hit 8 children it started from there.. not sure on that one tho..) Women were discouraged from the workforce (children church and Kitchen was all they were about) Women would also foster children from orphanage homes if they were racially pure..

umm not sure if i can think of much else..

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)