Study game: Indochina (1 Viewer)

s2ophie

HSC
Originally posted by craz
Yea! I'm really stumped! name foreign policies that US presidents used relating to Vietnam.
I don't know if this was the answer you were after but:
Eisenhower - domino theory and containment
Kennedy - as above
LBJ - Esacalation
Nixon - Vietnamisation
Ford - Withdrawal

Edit/ i forgot a questionbut answer Chelle's

Last edited:

Benno

HSC
aus imput-

shit all :p lol.

Australia entered under the terms of the ANZUS Treaty and SEATO
Australia was very fearful of communism spreading into SE Asia especialy into Indonesia
Australia saw that by supporting the US in Vietnam we would gain favour
Aus got an "invitation" from south vietnam to send troops to help fight against VC
3 reasons aus sent troops
- Threat from China was real
-Aus was anti-commie and stronge beliver in domino theory, fighting in SV was a "forward defence policy"
-Need to show the US they were loyal allies

hmm this is more why we entered the war lol

but my question is What impact did the KR have on the peasents of Cambodia

K-Lo

Originally posted by TastesGoodBut

Quote a historian on.... the gulf of tonkin incident: [/B]
"the Tonkin Gulf Resolution reinforced the administrations inherited disdain for the public's sagicity" - Kolko

"like grandmothers night shirt; it covered everything" - LBJ (ok not really a historian but i like this one!)

*10#

ok i really need an answer to what impact the indochinese war had on vietnamese and cambodian villagers

does anyone know????

*10#

ok i really need an answer to what impact the indochinese war had on vietnamese and cambodian villagers

does anyone know????

Chelle

Off the top of my head...

Impact on Vietnamese villagers was a lot of modernisation, meaning that new technologies and things were introduced. TV for instance, created a closer communities.

Of course the bombings and homeless thing would come into it as well.

The massacre's and rapes and things like MY LAI would come into it for cambodian..

umm

thats all i got right now, but at least those are some pointers.

braindrainedAsh

Journalist
HSC
I'm just bumping this up for the 04s to play...

Since a question wasn't asked, here is one for you:

Name three ways Nixon tried to bring the war to an end

Supra

secksy beast
HSC
jan 15 1973-nixon announced suspension of offensive action
paris peace accords signed jan 27- official ending of us involvement
march 29- american soldiers forced to leave

whats the answer ash?

braindrainedAsh

Journalist
HSC
I would have said his carpet bombing campaign (e.g. cambodia), peace negotiations and troop withdrawal, but it was a broad question so your answers would have been fine. You forgot to ask a question for the next person though!

How about we try this:

Outline two ways in which the media impacted on the war in Vietnam

Sarah168

London Calling
HSC
- The media had an influence from as early as 1963, where the scenes of Buddhist martyrs affected Diem's image and the goals of the US in Sth Vietnam. It paved the way for a coup.

- TV showed the acts of the Tet offensive (E.g attacks on the US Embassy, Khe Sanh and Hue) and combined with published casualty lists, it reduced the support for the war overseas.

Name three factors which motivated Johnson to step up US involvement in Vietnam.

(btw, I havent revised over Indchina for about a week and this thread just refreshed alot of my memory :) )

Supra

secksy beast
HSC
tonkin gulf resolution- enabled him to commit more troops

personal factors=temperamental activism, faith in U.S. military power, and staunch anticommunism- he believed the US needed to be firm to prevent a loss of credibility

honour hte Eisenhower pledge not to let South succumb to communism. Kennedy had already sent advisers to the country.

Oo i forgot to post q...

Outline the significance of the Gulf of Tonkin crisis

Last edited:

Beaney

Signisficance of Gulf Of Tonkin Incident? Erm... it started the full escalation of the war, it turned it from merely avidsors to a full war. It possibly also added controversey as it was a stormy night, and Hanoi denies attacking the Maddox, therefore it could have just been the crew making stuff up to escalate the war. This could lead to the idea that the war was accidentally entered into, or was under false pretenses? Dunno, I think I"m getting off track.
Hope that's..erm.. helpful. Does anyone have more significance of the Gulf of Tonkin Incedent.

my q...
Significance of Kent State Uni shootings?

owoodley

Beaney said:
my q...
Significance of Kent State Uni shootings?
Made evident the impact of the war on people back home. Anti-war movements and protests were rapidly on the increase, with the US reacting pooring to public outcries and disagreement....

What types of chemical substances did the US use in Vietnam? - Discuss both defoliants and 'medications', such as suppliments and illegal drugs.

nickw...

HSC
N/A
agent orange was the main defoliant used by the US, which has resulted in much sickness, not only to the Vietnamese civilian population, but also to veterans of both sides of the conflict.
Marajuana was used extensively among us combat troops, as their moral was ridiculously low, and morphine was administered to quell pain in wounded troops.

Q: What was the effect of media, on the withdrawel of troops from vietnam?

mervvyn

Marshm'ello
Somewhere over the rainbow... yes, that rainbow.
HSC
The media accelerated the withdrawal of troops from Vietnam mainly by changing perceptions of the war on the home front, post-Tet. The graphic images of the war were compounded by commentaries that began to question the justification of US involvement and also questioned the success of that involvement. In short, large proportions of the media stopped toeing the government line, and this fuelled protest on the home front, combined with casualties (the body count and kill ratio methods of the US command also did not help to win over support) and inflation, which made it politically necessary for the next president after the 1968 election to begin bringing home US troops.

Ok, question...
Assess the success of the methods of triangulation and Vietnamisation in allowing the US to withdraw from the conflict in Indochina.

crazy_old_jwg

HSC
TastesGoodBut said:
influences on americas decision

Main one would have been non-poopular support at home
the fact the sholdiers had lost willpower due to the length of war

thats about all

Quote a historian on.... the gulf of tonkin incident:
This question is from a while ago but i think this is a good quote:

"the Administration had indeed lied to congress reguarding the Tonkin Affair, obscuring the political fact that the policy had been drawn up much earlier, and had predetermined responses. Above all, the White House claimed it had been provoked whn in reality it had been the provoker." Gabriel Kolko, 1987

The tonkin incident was especially important as it supposedly gave the US a good reason for declaring war. It was a stormy night and the US were inside North Vietnamese waters testing their resolve when it was claimed that they were fired upon by a north viet ship, however there was no evidence of this and it was thought to be either lies or faulty equipment. Basically the US were looking for a reason to enter war and they used a fictional incident as their provocation.

sorry, but i cant answer the last question...some ppl here are scaring me with their crazy level of knowledge...uh oh :|

Last edited:

the questions

Some historiographical conflicts from any of the key features....?!....... For, against and in between, :) lets get a chat happening!.........

Bare_Essentials

THE Bridget Jones
HSC
Thought we could get this thread going for the 2005 HSC group.

Assess the significance of the Domino Theory and Containment on American Policy in Vietnam from 1954 to 1968?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)