Study Guides? (1 Viewer)

Dan895

HSC
Uni Grad
What is everyone's oppinion on study guides. Given the fact that the HSC is only 1 term away I want to get all my textbooks before it starts. After doing some research I have Conquering Chem for chem, Jacaranda for physics and Heineman for bio. For the prelim being fairly uneducated about the text books I bought the excell study guides, the overall oppinion of them of BOS seems to be fairly negative. However I used the Excell book for a Chemistry research task and managed to get 1st. So my question is do you guys think it is worth wile buying the study guides for the hsc and in terms of study guides is Excell the best or is Dot Point. Any oppinions on the matter would be cool. :)

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
Personally, I think for the sciences - the best study guides are ones that give you extra notes along the dot points of the syllabus. If nothing else, they give you extra info - plus they also form a structure to add stuff to.

qwerty44

HSC
What is everyone's oppinion on study guides. Given the fact that the HSC is only 1 term away I want to get all my textbooks before it starts. After doing some research I have Conquering Chem for chem, Jacaranda for physics and Heineman for bio. For the prelim being fairly uneducated about the text books I bought the excell study guides, the overall oppinion of them of BOS seems to be fairly negative. However I used the Excell book for a Chemistry research task and managed to get 1st. So my question is do you guys think it is worth wile buying the study guides for the hsc and in terms of study guides is Excell the best or is Dot Point. Any oppinions on the matter would be cool. :)
It depends on what you are looking for. Dot Point is mainly questions based on syllabus points while Excel is more of a summary with basic questions to test your knowledge.

nightweaver066

HSC
Learning from a textbook is good; learning from multiple textbooks is better.

I've never used a study guide before but i think they would be helpful in highlighting the main points you need to know.

Basically, to study the sciences, learn the theory then move on to past paper questions.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)