study habits- how did you guys do it??? (2 Viewers)

lala2

Banned
HSC
- Maths--do homework consistently
- Eng--practice essays (though I didn't do any, which is what cost me a band 6. But then again, I'm one of those people who like to just haev the stuff in their head and make up the essay on the spot in the exam)
- Bio and Chem--summaries--make them as you go along, so that by the time trials and/or HSC exams come around, you won't be rushing around looking for notes and whatever to revise--it's all handy there!
- Music2 --practiced every single day for at least 2 hours, and try and concentrate as hard as possible--don't let your thoughts float off the music otherwise it won't be constructive. That's what happened to me until cramming stress kicked in before every performance assessment.

UAI: 96.95. Not as good as elisabeth, but if you're looking for a UAI of 90+ or 95+, there it is. Well done elisabeth for your terrific UAI too!

hopeles5ly

Take Me Higher.
HSC
N/A
1/5kiwifruit said:
Thanks for the advise and good luck everyone.....i guess everyone has their own ways of studying and for me, i wouldn't be able to study like a night before the exams coz i would be way too stressed out and anyways i think its associated to an IQ thing although i have no proof yet, I think smart people generally dont need to spend so much time studying.
yeah same, i cant study the night before either. but i know people who can do that and get exceptionally good marks as they are really good at cramming lol.

Riviet

HSC
N/A
1/5kiwifruit said:
I think smart people generally dont need to spend so much time studying.
I would agree with you to an extent, because even the smartest students need to study. You can't just do nothing and expect to do well. You actually need to sit down and study.

hopeles5ly

Take Me Higher.
HSC
N/A
mazarina211 said:
wow, u guys make it sound so easy:
study the night before and get band 6
study 4 weeks before and get a 99.75
and study 5-6 hrs a day- geeez lol

im so lazy, i better get my act together (i wish i was intelligent)
haha yeah but his really smart anyways. him stuffing up in an exam is practically equivalent to the highest mark i get in exams ><* unless its like full marks which i dont think i ever achieved in an exam situation.

Last edited:

Hermzie

rarrrrrrrrr
HSC
The best advice I ever received from a class of 06-er (who received a UAI of 95+) was to have a balanced life. Rewarding yourself for studying helps, so for me, it's usually "once I finish summarising my information on the stimulus booklet text, I can watch John Safran".

I don't study for hours on end because then studying becomes a chore, instead I aim to do at least one thing every day, whether it be reading over additional material and doing activities related for it, or working on my major works, etc.

Oh, and my walls are covered with things like UAI cut-offs for courses I want and UAI related scholarships. They're great motivators:)

hyperbole

i LURRVE to exaggerate.
HSC
english: i did really little in this subject. i did my assessments. and before exams, i memorised assessments and key points and hoped i would get a really good question. but then again, i had a really really good teacher and enjoyed a lot of the texts we studied.

math 2/3u: i studied like crazy for this subject. for every assessment and for every exam. but i think i perhaps got a little too confident in the hsc so didn't go as well as i would have liked. i didn't rely on my ranks but they certainly pulled me through. just barely. i did heaps of questions and heaps of past papers. i think i worked from two textbooks and for the topics i struggled with, three textbooks!

economics: was my favourite subject. i didn't rely on teacher but on my classmates. used syllabus. wrote summaries for each of the dot points. and collected a lot of articles and kept up-to-date with a current affairs and stuff. i really liked economics so most of the content i already knew before my exams. just a little refreshing. but i still did a lot of work throughout the year.

business studies: loved this subject too. wrote summaries and notes. and revised them before exams. studied business studies the same way i studied economics. just a lot of summaries. by the time the hsc came around, i already studied each of the topics 3/4 times throughout the year so only refreshed on the content. but again, i worked really hard throughout the year.

chemistry: by far, my worst subject. wasn't very interested in it but it got better as the year progressed. really only studied for it during the holidays before my trials. that's when i did all my notes as well. and then studied for it the week before the chemistry exam. and that's about it. but i still got a band 4 which is what i was aiming for anyway.

and that's about it. i used the 'repitition' method for all my subjects. read over my notes heaps and heaps of time. but it won't work for everyone.

throughout my hsc year, i still went out and took breaks here and there. i certainly wasn't spending 6hours a night studying. most nights i just did my homework and summaries. probably about 2/3 hours a night unless i had assessments or was behind in my summaries and exams were approaching. i think i maintained a very good balance. during hsc period, i think i even lost 2kg because i spent my 'breaks' exercising and that really cleared my mind etc. i also watched a whole lot of tv during my hsc year.

anyway, that's all. i got a uai of 95.6 and that was purely because of the work and effort i put in.

good luck!

p.s. do something you like. had i done 'science' subjects because they scaled well etc..my uai would have been a whole lot lower.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)