Study Hours! (1 Viewer)

LoveHateSchool

Retired Sept '14
HSC
Uni Grad
Lol, yea I reckon i should consider others. If I got into UNSW i would be stoked because that would mean i passed the UMAT! :D haha
mmm i like the view from Syd uni's campus; my friend's bro goes there and we had to pick him up, let's just saw it was ammmaaazzing ! :)
Also, i think Syd uni is the only one that has RPA hospital as an option for residency. As I was born there and i love that hospital, my dream is to work there :D

i would also like Melbourne uni for Biomedicine...sounds really good...actually would choose it over sydney but it's in another state... :(
Heh, I'm going to go to UoM. I don't why it being in a different state is a barrier. There's no scary state boundary or anything :p It's a beautiful campus, unique course structure, beautiful colleges, good academic results...I thought I'd always go to uni in Syd till I went to UoM. But I suppose it's a lil different for me, considering I live closer to Melb than Syd.

Also Spi, I remember OE saying they were going to fail HSC and they got 98.45.

13abie

HSC
but I don't want to burn myself out.

Thoughts?
In my honest opinion, saying something like that is really just an excuse. The best kids study, study, study, and when they can't study anymore they study some more.

You also can't think of it in terms of hours, some kids can get away without doing much at all. I personally am not one of those kids, I have to work hard to get results (4hours+ a night). However my friend got away with about 45mins a night all through year 12 and he ended up with 99.9
So do as much as you need to do. Although given that you're in year 11 you really don't have to do anything. I'd just do your homework during the term (should be enough), and give it about 4-5 hours a night a few weeks before exams. You really don't need to be doing that much this early.

My mindset in year 11 was "it doesn't count so why bother" so I was near the bottom in all my subjects. I probably should have done some work, it would have helped a little bit, but 3 hours seems like too much to me in year 11.

Enjoy yourself while you can

Last edited:

mahli

HSC
it isnt an efficient method of study to think about how many hours you must put in. every day/night, make a list of things that you need to complete and cross them off as you go.
Make a massive list and cry every time you don't finish. Then roll in pant juice when you realise you were doing enough and land a massive atar.

Magical Kebab

HSC
Lol, yea I reckon i should consider others. If I got into UNSW i would be stoked because that would mean i passed the UMAT! :D haha
mmm i like the view from Syd uni's campus; my friend's bro goes there and we had to pick him up, let's just saw it was ammmaaazzing ! :)
Also, i think Syd uni is the only one that has RPA hospital as an option for residency. As I was born there and i love that hospital, my dream is to work there :D

i would also like Melbourne uni for Biomedicine...sounds really good...actually would choose it over sydney but it's in another state... :(
Yeah usyd does look good, but undergrad med is sorta impossible to get into. I have heard they accept only 30 or so a year, they don't consider UMAT but the ATAR cut-off is 99.95 and an interview is required.
Good luck haha! I say stick with UNSW.

SanjoyM

HSC
I think that's good, but as the year progresses you will inevatibly need to increase the hours due to certain factors, such as workload, assignments, assessment tasks etc..

My advice to you is that you should not spend more time on one subject and completely ignore the other. Distribute time equally and allocate the hours of the day you are comfortable studying in. + Extension English is a LOT of work and requires patience and perseverence, so you should spend a lot of time on this subject too!!
Chemistry - make sure you LISTEN in class, so that when you are reivising at home you are NOT re-learning all the concepts again, but just grasping a more competent and thorough knowledge of them.

English Advanced - PRACTICE writing - whatever it maybe- just write a simple short story and link it to an important concept, provocative issues which evoke strong emotions and debates! etc.. and READ WIDELY!!!! Success in English Advanced can only be achieved by READING and viewing sample essays to see how you can inculcate the band 6 writing style and concepts!!

Hope that helps! :)

delian

HSC
N/A
I think that's good, but as the year progresses you will inevatibly need to increase the hours due to certain factors, such as workload, assignments, assessment tasks etc..

My advice to you is that you should not spend more time on one subject and completely ignore the other. Distribute time equally and allocate the hours of the day you are comfortable studying in. + Extension English is a LOT of work and requires patience and perseverence, so you should spend a lot of time on this subject too!!
Chemistry - make sure you LISTEN in class, so that when you are reivising at home you are NOT re-learning all the concepts again, but just grasping a more competent and thorough knowledge of them.

English Advanced - PRACTICE writing - whatever it maybe- just write a simple short story and link it to an important concept, provocative issues which evoke strong emotions and debates! etc.. and READ WIDELY!!!! Success in English Advanced can only be achieved by READING and viewing sample essays to see how you can inculcate the band 6 writing style and concepts!!

Hope that helps! :)
Some good points.

HSC
N/A
if you must count hours then 3-4 hrs a night of efficient study is enough for 99 +, i can't speak for people who want to get super high 99s though that's a different story. also having a timetable is not essential i know a tonne of people getting 99+, 99.5+ who didn't have timetables. it's generally accepted that fb hurts your atar though lol

Eg155

HSC
Heh, I'm going to go to UoM. I don't why it being in a different state is a barrier. There's no scary state boundary or anything :p It's a beautiful campus, unique course structure, beautiful colleges, good academic results...I thought I'd always go to uni in Syd till I went to UoM. But I suppose it's a lil different for me, considering I live closer to Melb than Syd.

Yes, it sounds awesome and it's higher in world uni rankings than USYD! :O
You see I live only 45 minutes ish from Sydney so it'd be a bit difficult... for you, since you are neither in the region of each city, you can choose the one you like because you have to go to uni somewhere,right?
What about living expenses ? :L or does Hex cover that if you stayed on campus and then you repay it when you have a proper paying job as with uni fees?

wildchild666

HSC
Yes, it sounds awesome and it's higher in world uni rankings than USYD! :O
You see I live only 45 minutes ish from Sydney so it'd be a bit difficult... for you, since you are neither in the region of each city, you can choose the one you like because you have to go to uni somewhere,right?
What about living expenses ? :L or does Hex cover that if you stayed on campus and then you repay it when you have a proper paying job as with uni fees?
I don't think HECS covers living expenses...

Last edited:

Eg155

HSC
:eek: What universities have scholarships which assist with living expenses?
I'm pretty sure all, if not most, have them; however there are requirements that need to be met for a particular scholarship of course. E.g. you need to do a certain course or be from the area, over a certain ATAR etc etc.

wildchild666

HSC
I'm pretty sure all, if not most, have them; however there are requirements that need to be met for a particular scholarship of course. E.g. you need to do a certain course or be from the area, over a certain ATAR etc etc.
Awesome, I wasn't aware of that. Thank you!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)