Study Pattern or Coherent Study (1 Viewer)

david1337king

HSC
I got a few questions about Study patern and Coherent Study. A bit confused atm abnout what to do this year for my first year at uni.

I was just wondering, does more people do Study pattern or coherent study?

What are the advantages and disadvatages or these two types?

X

xeuyrawp

Blergh.

Basically they're all related terms which may or may not be relevant for you.

Which degree are you doing, and what do you want to achieve with it?

Last edited by a moderator:

Cyan_phoeniX

HSC
N/A
I think (and someone tell me if i'm wrong here) that the only real difference is that the units are pretty much all set out for you for one, while you have to do a lot more planning with the other in order to fill out more general requirements.

For example: Doing a psychology degree you need to do a bunch of cores units (units you MUST do). While you also get to do some elective psychology units, the pattern of units are pretty much set out and fairly structured.

I think in the other case, the degree is more open, and there are only more general requirements (a certain number of credit points need to be completed in first, second and third year units that relate to the general area).

The above may be very general (or even wrong). It may help us out a bit more if you tell us what degree you have enrolled in - and what areas you want to pursue.

david1337king

HSC
Im doing accounting.

I'll probably enroll in with a study pattern, ie Professional Accounting. and Majoring in Accounting. Everything is set out, so it will be much easier.

X

xeuyrawp

Cyan_phoeniX said:
I think (and someone tell me if i'm wrong here) that the only real difference is that the units are pretty much all set out for you for one, while you have to do a lot more planning with the other in order to fill out more general requirements.
Basically, every degree has a study pattern. When you go to the list of degrees and click on one, you see all the study patterns.

Within those degrees, there is a general degree requirement, and within those study patterns, there may be a explicit study pattern or a broad coherency. Things like this one have a coherency (along with most types of arts, science, etc etc broad degrees).

Ie, a coherency = the final units you need to complete, eg
At least 12 credit points which must include at least three units in the range ELEC310-ELEC390, with any remainder chosen from COMP330, COMP331, COMP333, COMP340, COMP342, COMP343, COMP345, COMP347, INFO310, ISYS346, OPTO300, OPTO321, MATH335, MPCE360, MPCE361, PHYS301, PHYS303, PHYS306, STAT378, STAT379

^ that is a coherency, because it just lists the final (300 level) units that you need to do.

Something like my degree, psych, business, media, etc etc, are more prescriptive. They can't just give you the coherency because they need specific requirements which appear as a kind of framework within your study pattern. They want you do specific 300 level units along with specific 200 level units and specific 100 level units; otherwise the students wouldn't be able to a) progress properly in their degree, and b) may not be qualified.

Here is the glossary, which outlines this, but like I said, it's confusing and just needs to be applied when necessary. Best thing to do is to look at your study pattern and to see if you have specific requirements.

X

xeuyrawp

david1337king said:
Im doing accounting.

I'll probably enroll in with a study pattern, ie Professional Accounting. and Majoring in Accounting. Everything is set out, so it will be much easier.
I assume you mean Commerce - accounting?

Anyway, check out the list here and find your degree: http://www.cal.mq.edu.au/degrees.php?edition=2008&level=ug

I think it's pretty prescriptive with what you can and can't do (ie someone here will be able to tell you). This all gets sorted out when you get enrolled, anyway.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)