• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Study Timetable (1 Viewer)

frog1944

HSC
Hi,

When it comes to a study timetable, how should it be set out?
Do you do create a study timetable for the year, term, week, or day?
Do you have chunks of time dedicated to each subject (some for maths, english etc.) , or just time dedicated to studying?
Do you have it spread out or clumped in a big session?

Thanks

WrittenLoveLetters

배고파
HSC
Whilst planning is always great. A lot of people plan more than they actually implement.
I recommend just writing out a list of three priorities that MUST be done, either the night before or the morning of the day.

I make sure I have done some work for every subject throughout the week.

I also tend to have a mixture of both (reading clumped sessions of work) as of right now, I'm doing papers open book, so I'm more freelanced with the fact that I can happily stand up and stretch every 30 minutes or every hour and grab some food etc.

Reactions: D94

WrittenLoveLetters

배고파
HSC
Seeing that you're a 2017er, I recommend you experiment. Achieving lower (not terrible, lower) marks during your Preliminary year due to experimenting with study methods and balancing social/health/study is fine.

Good luck :)

Martin_SSEDU

HSC
I always get asked this question by my students and I strongly agree with all the suggestions above! Study plans are to your personal flavour and honestly one big trap a lot of students fall into is creating a plan they will never follow... they simply are satisfied with creating the plan and then stress even more when they realise they haven't even met any of their set out goals.

I find that creating the perfect study habit is a process, and it boils down to creating a routine that you will follow all the way to achieving any of your set out goals.

When I began studying (in year 9) I made it a point to simply say to myself that after school, just before dinner, I would complete all my homework that I had due for the day as much as I could, obviously focusing on the more easier ones. This made it a lot easier for me to get into some sort of routine as I began to jump straight to the books when I got home rather than relaxing in front of the TV. I then spent time after dinner actually studying, catching up on previous topics or getting ahead.

Then I started to take things more seriously in Year 10 and 11 and I began to actually say to myself that during Monday/Tuesday etc, I would focus on this particular subject and I started to really plan my time out to the dot, even allowing a lot of time for breaks and other commitments.

This trend continued for a while but by the time I was in year 12 I was really comfortable as to when I would study, and even in the earlier years I just needed to focus what I would study. It was in Year 12 that I just focused more heavily on goals and I was responsible enough to meet them, so I never felt pressured by time.

Take it as a step by step process frog :) but definitely start somewhere. If you want a more detailed breakdown of this, an article on my website has some nice tips alongside a downloadable study timetable you can portion your time out.

http://www.ssedu.com.au/the-4-fundamental-habits-of-a-band-6-student/

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)