Study tips please!!! (1 Viewer)

Asianboy02

HSC
N/A
I've just started year 9 and want to study ahead. For math is it good if I study ahead all of year 9's content in a few months and then start on year 10. (I'm already in accelerated)? Science is the subject in which I have to write loads and loads of notes. I don't really know how to study for science tbh. Any tips? Lastly English is alright. I read books to improve vocabulary and practise comprehension grammar etc. if you have any advice drop a reply thanks.

HSC
Don't waste your time in Years 9 and 10. It's admirable that you want to study ahead but you run a real risk of burning out if you try too hard, too early. Only do as well as you need to; enough to get the prerequisites for your courses in senior school.

However, that being said, this is the time to hone your study technique. Other than typing your notes to save time, it looks like you're doing all the right things.

plane

HSC
N/A
Study Less Study Smart

Break your study time in chunks with breaks
― most students lose focus at 25 minutes
― it’s a mistake to keep going once you do, since you won’t actually learn anything and you’ll hate every minute of it
― so when you start losing focus take a 5 minute break
― do something nice like talking to someone or listening to music
― it’s something you practice so with time you’ll be able to work for more time without losing focus
― in the end of the study session have a big reward you look forward to

Create a study area
― environment highly affects the way you act. Bedrooms are for sleeping, kitchens for eating: you’ll feel sleepy in your bedroom and hungry in the kitchen. So if you have a study area, it’ll be easier to start studying and staying focused.
― study in a specific room like an office or school library if you can
― if you have to study in your bedroom use a specific object you only use for studying: a lamp/desk. Make it a no-distraction, away from your bed, blank walls area.

The more active the learning, the better
― 80% active learning 20% passive
― ask yourself: is it a concept or a fact?

learning a concept: understand/grasp/know it
― put it into your own words
― really think about the meaning of it
― relate it with something you already know
― teach somebody else. Recapitulate what you’ve learned. Talk out loud even if you don’t have anyone to teach - talk alone. Or at anyone that listens.​

― learning a fact: memorize it
― use mnemonics
― Acronyms (e.g. colours of the rainbow RoyGBiv – red orange yellow green blue indigo violet)
― Coined sayings - anything popular or sayings you’ve heard since you were a child.
― Interacting images – work even better if they’re weird. Creative associations make you never forget specific details. (e.g. 1 gram of fat has 9 calories: picture a fat cat – each cat has 9 lives)​

― any time 2 things are highly similar but not the same you will get maximal interference!! USE mnemonics!! (e.g. afferent vs efferent neurons: SAME - Sensory Afferent Motor Efferent)

Be a part of study groups
― surprisingly others can help further your study

Recognising VS Remembering
― never confuse the two
― while reviewing a chapter you may recognise concepts but not actually know them
― and when you get to the test you won’t be able to remember any of it
― so quiz yourself without looking at it
― or stop in a page of your notes/textbook and ask yourself what is the concept immediately after and before it

Get your Sleep
― get ~8 hours so you don’t undo your studying
― this is how your brain stores permanent memories
― without it you’re ability to remember seriously decreases
― most people don’t even begin to take the advice but it’s simple: sleep better. Do better.

There’s 162 hours in a week. There is time.
― reflect on what you are doing with your time and what activities you have to prioritize to succed as a student

Ask your questions to class mates and teachers.
― teachers want you to succeed and it’s more than ok to ask your question in the teacher’s office or in the next class

How to use a textbook: SQ3R technique
Survey Question Read Recite Review
― Survey: skim through the entire chapter in a couple of minutes.
― Raise questions: e.g. what is osmosis? What is this graphic about? What is a prototype?
― it causes you to look for answers and you’ll find the information better once you actually study it after. If you intend to find something you learn it better.​

Start studying for tests early.
― don’t undo yourself. You should only be reviewing the days before the test. don’t leave it till the last minute!

donkily

HSC
N/A
Maths: Do practice and practice. There is no other substitute for maths other than practice. Also focus on what you're weak at and work from there. Practice questions in which you make lots of silly errors and practice questions you'd otherwise struggle to understand at times. Remember to ask for help whenever you need it because that way you learn

English: Always have the syllabus at the back of your head. When analysing texts it's important that you take the syllabus into account. When writing essays it's crucial that you use lots of descriptive words. Don't memorise essays but rather memorise all prepared essay paragraphs
when you walk into an exam room. For your creative, memorise it word for word and adapt. Practice essays and always get feedback from your teachers. Always take the marking criteria into account

Science: it's all about understanding. Focus primarily at what your weak at, if you are weak at memorising a large amount of content, make worksheets (and notes) and photocopy them and re-do them several times until it's indented into your head. If you have a conceptual weakness at a specific dotpoint it is crucial that you have either a) a super detailed paragraph with a diagram or b) watch youtube in order to actually visualise what's going on better. If exam technique is your weakness, practice exam questions and get feedback on whether or not you are addressing verbs in the right manner

Hope that helps

andrew12678

HSC
Some solid stuff above, just thought I'll expand on areas not addressed

Maths: Not sure if the same applies to you, but for me (a non accelerated maths student) maths classes at my school did not change for Yr11 and 12, so once you got into 'top'/'second'/''third'... etc class you got stuck with that for 2 years. Usually the head teacher/vice head teacher would take the first two classes so you were basically guaranteed a 'good' teacher-so if that's what you are looking for I would recommend putting some effect in Yr10 (yr 9 for you) to ensure you get what you want. I would also recommend learning 4U ahead and not waiting for school (if you are doing 4U that is) because at school they essentially leave you for dead (not really just a lot of practice on your own) at the pace they go at-so I believe early exposure does help (if you already understand you won't get left behind)

English: Yr7-10 is a whole world away from Yr11/12 English, so my personal recommendation for you is looking up proper HSC English essay structure and examination technique either on this forum or through a private tutor and applying it to the essays you write in yr9 and 10 (if the yr9 and 10 courses include essay writing they are basically baby 'warm-up' practice for yr12 where essays written by the cohort sound like movie reviews). So many people don't successfully transition from yr10 to yr11 English it's not funny (bad teaching doesn't help either) so there's never a bad time to start. You might also find that your yr9/10 marks skyrocket because your light years ahead of your peers in term of what the teacher is actually looking for when marking. Don't look past this early opportunity.

Science: Funnily enough I found yr9/10 science a lot harder than yr11 and 12 lmao, partly because I was on cruise mode and left to last minute study all the bio (I swear 90% of the yr9/10 syllabus), but I won't recommend that-instead I would suggest using these years to practice note taking and memorisation (you will need 100x more of this throughout HSC)-you can also considering going to an accelerated tutoring course for yr11 phys/chem/bio to see which subject is really for you (and to see if I was right about yr9 being harder)-just don't lock yourself into any long term contract with a large firm

Suu

HSC
N/A
Science-
Get the syllabus from the BOS website. All the things you need for gr 11-12 on there.
I recommend making detailed notes based around the dot points listed there, and doing practice tests.... well you know, for practicing.... for tests (and learning how to answer the questions).

pockysticks

HSC
N/A
I'm struggling in science, do you think getting a private tutor will help? I'm in year nine as well. Do you have any good practice workbook recommendations? Also with study note making do you have any tips for making notes in science class? thanks :)

donkily

HSC
N/A
I'm struggling in science, do you think getting a private tutor will help? I'm in year nine as well. Do you have any good practice workbook recommendations? Also with study note making do you have any tips for making notes in science class? thanks :)
http://community.boredofstudies.org...y-tips-guide-studying-faq-about-studying.html

when it comes to science weaknesses, its best to identify what sort of weakness you have i.e. do you have a weakness on practicals/scientific skills, do you have a conceptual weakness, do you have an exam technique weakness (i.e. not addressing verb properly, knowing your theory but getting 4/6 for a response of some sort), do you have a weakness in memorising a large amount of rote memorising content, etc

if you have a practical/scientific skills weakness, you should do heaps of practice questions on scientific skills and look over them thoroughly. also look at how they are applied to experiments done at school (and try looking at youtube videos of certain science experiments and apply your knowledge of scientific skills there)

for conceptual weaknesses what is best (imo) is this:

1. read a textbook and see if it makes sense to you
2. read other textbooks and see if that makes sense to you
3. if not use google and use various sites (but remember to not get out of the syllabus)
4. if that still doesnt make sense then watch youtube videos (sometimes its difficult to understand some concepts without the help of youtube videos and the visualisation of how these scientific concepts actually work)
5. by now it should of had made sense to you (hopefully)
6. after that reread your textbook(s) and certain websites
7. close everything and make a super detailed paragraph with a diagram on how it works

for exam technique weaknesses, it's crucial to do sample practice exam questions. also if you have time constraints then practice doing the exam (a practice exam) under timed conditions. keep getting feedback on those exam questions from your teacher until you get full marks (if youre not getting full marks then do them again and again until you get them)

for memorising a large amount of rote learn information, you can make worksheets and fill it in several times a day until you have gotten all that information into your head. also there are other ways of memorising a large amount of rote learn content

here are some other methods to memorising content
Memory Tips and Techniques:
Know your personal learning style. The techniques which are appropriate for you will vary according to your learning style.

• Sensory or visual learners normally have a preference for practical approaches involving the use of images.
  • Active learners tend to prefer to learn by physical activity such as manipulating materials.
  • Reflective learners prefer theoretical and analytical approaches to derive meaning.
  • Verbal learners opt for word based tactics.
Creating lists: this is the most basic technique. Distill your notes into a series of headings. Ding this helps imprint the knowledge and the end result is an overview of the subject allowing you to place your knowledge in the right context. This is suited to verbal or read-write learners. Numbering your lists can be useful for memory.

Making timelines: You can use timelines to plot the progress of events, procedures, or developments. These can be drawn as vertical or horizontal. They are particularly useful if a lecture has referred to a set of events.

Sketching Mindmaps: These are extremely visual and rely on their colour and shape to produce a memorable and attractive image. Some people use these in lectures or classes. For revision, they should be quick, legible and coherent. Concept maps can be as useful as outlining answers.

Drawing Diagrams: Diagrams can be used to show hierarchies, processes, or relationships. They can be used to build an answer outline. Sometimes they can even form a part of your formal answer. They are extremely useful to visual learners. However, take care when they are personal and only have meaning to you because they may not add value to any content in exams.

Posters and Post it notes: This is good for people who like to subliminally absorb information. It suits kinesthetic learners. The idea is to create an area full of posters to help embed the information into your memory a a part of your normal everyday world.

Use nonsense words and mnemonics: I will always remember the colours of the visual spectrum through Richard Of York Gave Battle In Vain.

Use rhymes: We all know how memorable music is and how much it gets stuck in our heads. Use it. Create your own lyrics for a tune you know, or adapt rhymes that you’ve known since childhood. Nursery rhymes are really great for this.

Listing: Knowing how many points there are meant to be can hep you work out if you’ve forgotten something.

Practice: Keep going over the material.

Revisit your notes with memory techniques in mind.

Chunking: Chunk the information (break it up into smaller and more manageable pieces).

pockysticks

HSC
N/A
Is there any workbooks that you guys recommend for any subject? Like maybe the excel ones. And also how do you improve creative writing skills. I never seem to come up with a good story line.

pockysticks

HSC
N/A
Thanks for your answer. I'm trying really hard to read more but I always find hard to make time for writing. Also out of curiosity, is it considered plagiarising if you take certain plots/part of a storyline out of a published book and put it into your own narrative?

pockysticks

HSC
N/A
hmm. Thanks for your answer. Also just wondering what do you think of going to a tutoring college for science in yr nine? I hated going for science tutoring classes in yr 6 and 7 so I quit because most of the content we learnt were irrelevant to the ones we did at school. Do you think going to a science tutor class in year 9 is worth it?

Velocifire

Critical Hit
HSC
and now this person is at the forefront of paper one

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)