study tips (1 Viewer)

S

Sheehan :)

Casmira said:
Get a teacher to talk to you about the course

I used too despise chemistry, my chemistry teacher then sat down and talked to me for about 20min about how the way i interact in class, and she pointed out ways on how I work, and how im the type of person for chemistry

dont ask my why, this unlocked this little chemistry interest in me, and bang i just shot up in marks, ranking and my interest sky rocketed

you also have to have a nice teacher

i personally dont give a shit about the stuff we learn abotu in maths general, it will most probably never apply to me in real life, and if it ever did, im not retarded so ill figure it out, but i got the best maths teacher i could ask for

my other 2 subjects SDD/IT is simply my keen interest in computers, even with stupid teachers i achieve well because if youre into comptuers alot you'd know already whta most the teachers on about, or at least a basic understanding, or furthermore a keen interest to fuel what the teachers telling you

business studies i have close to no interest for, thus why im getting 63/171 for business studies, which is alright but not good, but recently im just asking questions about whats happening in class, visualise about what the teachers talking about and how it applys to real life, then it clicks in

finally, english, i cant stress how much of a up and down subject this is, you either despise it totally or love it, if youre the person who does not easily get captivated, prepare to go good in english, if youre the type that flows along with everything then you will have to stop the way you view everything
initally i got 50/200 for english, but now its dropped too 78/215
I also didnt beat the average of 60/100 as i got 57/100

now i went to SAM, and i calculated my yearly results too SAM, and found my UAI in the mid 60s, then i went and pumped up my eng result to a reasonble 70-80%, and bang my UAI shot up to 80

then when i put english back down, and ALL my other subjects up to 80%, they didnt get same as english

even CHEMISTRY!, that goes too show that it enraged me too put in my best for english

you need to have self motivation and encouragement, i recieved the first bits of encouragement after my sister telling stories of she doing her HSC 10 years ago, her T.E.R. was low 90s, (which in todays UAI is ALOT higher), and she layed down methods, stratergies, analysed me and that encouraged me too study

for my year 11 yearlies, i went from 1 hour a day study to what im used too, to 4 hours a day, i jumped that in 1 week study, i went up 30min a day increments in study time

i wish i was back in start of year 11, you guys reading this have a fresh start, study hard, because once it comes to year 12, the hard study you did wont seem like much where as those people who go "just study hard for year12" - fuck that, you wont be too used too studying hard in year 12, thats thinking short sighted, if you start NOW in year 11, you will have the ethics and hard study morals, so when you are presented with HSC and must study 5+ hours a day, and you do 4 hours a day for year 11, it doesnt seem much of a task compared to used to doing 0 hours a day then jump to 5

catch my drift ? :D

She said tips.......not a major work...lol

ahmad

HSC
N/A
Sheehan :) said:
seriously this works............give up drinking juice.soft drinks and anythin else and only drink water when ur thirsty.do this for like 10 days an ur concentration levels woll increase and ull have a lot more stamina
did u just hearit off someone or u have actually tried it?

belly_moo

burgur 'o5
HSC
try studying at the state library on the weekend. it's HEAPS good. i try studying at home in my room -does not work =\ it's a bit of a trek for anyone though, thats why i suggest going on the weekend! XD

one suggestion: don't try and "study" with your friends at the library -that also doesn't work. if you are going with friends though, go in a small group. by small i mean 3-4. no more or you get soo easily distracted.

ameh

dirty trick
HSC
N/A
ok what I do is leave off certain times of the day for studying say 9-10pm for math (btw its not working for me now, but will later when I have a math assessment the week before) and eliminate all distractions such as music (note u can listen to classical music) and food, juice etc (just a bottle of water) on the desk u can only have the subjects u r going to study that hour, none other. and heaps of paper to scribble notes on, u can only retain ur notes if u rewrite them over and over again, like some1 said b4 reading over it doesnt work, unless ur trying to gain a general understanding. oh and the memory pills like ginkgo biloba work sometimes, usually a placebo though meh. oh and take a rest after 1 hour and DO NOT reward urself with the NET bcos that so called reward will prob overlap on ur study time and u prob wouldnt be bothered to get back to studying

ameh

dirty trick
HSC
N/A
oh and what bellymoo said about studying with friends, if that friend is notorious for distractions and FUN, then save them for later dont go with them...i found out last time at the state library when my friend and I took camera photos the whole time while dozing in front of the LIAC centre ... so unproductive and yeah I take ginkgo biloba, it only works when it feels like working...unreliable....but when it DOES work then it gets ur circulation going even though the effects are unproven ( u have to have it daily, - which i dont =/ )
and dont think u can put off things until another day bcos there is no another day, esp when u have to work all F%$^weekened

sugar-high

HSC
what are "ginkgo biloba" pills? and where do you buy them from? supermarkets?

during my yrlies i used to buy lots of cans of energy drinks (red bull, V...) but i don't drink them now and so i get tired so easily! but they're not good for you either.

so these gingko biloba pills are like vitamin pills?

doodydo

HSC
N/A
maths study:

i found that this worked for me even though it got really boring by the end-

every time you have say a major assessment or exam, do each chapter thoroughly.

its the repetition in the end, even though the questions are simple in textbooks that allows you to do similar questions automatically.

i've been suprised how often these similar questions popped up in my assessments!

paganinio

HSC
bahodl said:
a guy who did the hsc last yr told us that the best way for him was to just set aside a certain time period every day or however frequently (but keep it strict) and study during that time
my method is to set a certain 1-hour or 1.5-hour period every WEEK just like the TV shows

ameh

dirty trick
HSC
N/A
yeah but it hasnt been proven effective as a supplement in smoothies, i dont think any of those powders in boost do anything =/

duggoh

Adam
HSC
Blurgh, Just poo-poo it... i was only making a point! and whether it works or doesnt, who cares... its not bad for u either way

lil_miz_gigglez

HSC
thorrnydevil said:
I find not studying helps boost my mark.
Hey me too i dunno wat it is with ppl lyk us but 4 sum strange & odd reason ... IT WORKS ... but not 4 every1??? i think
ah well it works 4 me!!!

A l

HSC
N/A
In my opinion, I think some people have a natural ability to concentrate during study and others don't. Those who can, usually get obsessed because they feel the urge to finish any study properly and hence really concentrate on the content of their study. Without having to refer to genetics and Biology-related complications, just study in an isolated room, with NO COMPUTER in front of you, (which often serves as a distraction) and take a 5 minute break every 30 minutes or every hour. Once you finished study, reward yourself with something you favour (e.g. food and sleep). I know it sounds like animal taming, but it worked for me.

Tegz

HSC
try teaching ur fam friends teddie bears.. whoever .. it really helps u collect ur thoughts n get a better understanding

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)