• Want to take part in this year's BoS Trials event for Maths and/or Business Studies?
    Click here for details and register now!
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Studying a different prescribed text? (1 Viewer)

wuboy

HSC
Hi all,

I was just wondering if we are able to study another text different to our prescribed one from school. To contextualise you all, my school is doing Speeches for Module B: Critical Studies of Texts, and due to the uncertainty of whether they're going to nominate a speech in the HSC exam or not, I wanted to study a different prescribed text within the same module.

What will happen if I study, for example, one the prose fiction novels that are prescribed e.g. 'Jane Eyre' and answer the question relating to that text in the exam?

I know that all of the papers are transferred by bundles in relation to schools. And I know that my 'Jane Eyre' essay will be in the bundle of 'Speeches' essays when the HSC markers for Module B: Speeches receives it. What will happen when the marker comes across my 'Jane Eyre' essay? Do they transfer it to a HSC marker for 'Jane Eyre'? Or will they just see that my essay is not on Speeches and give me a 0?

FlameLash

HSC
The English syllabus requires that you study five types of prescribed text. These include a Shakespearean drama, prose fiction, drama or film, poetry and nonfiction or media or multimedia texts. Speeches fall into the latter category, and thus if you choose to study a text prescribed from one of the other categories, you would not be fulfilling the course requirements. As such, you would probably receive a zero for the section at the very least.

cem

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
Regarding the question of what would happen if the Jane Eyre essay reached a marker who was marking speeches:

The marker, whether still in a marking centre, or at home marking via a computer, would simply hand/send it to their SM for re-assignment. They wouldn't mark it at all.

It happens quite regularly.

As for meeting the requirements of the syllabus - I can't answer that as I am not an English teacher but ... if you don't meet the requirements by not answering a type of text what they will do is mark both the questions on one text type and give you the higher mark.

strawberrye

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
I think in general it is super risky and strongly unadvisable to choose another prescribed text because you will have wasted a lot of time at school studying a different text and unless you have gotten your work marked by a external HSC marker before, you wouldn't know how you will stack up against the rest of the HSC cohort.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)