Studying Education at Macquarie (1 Viewer)

*rUsTy*

HSC
Hey everyone. I'm currently exploring my options for next year. My situation is that I completed my HSC in 2007 and decided to go to Macleay College to do a Diploma in Journalism. I then decided to take the opportunity to do the Bachelor of Arts is came paired with from Southern Cross University this year.

I've started to re-think my career options and have been looking at doing Secondary teaching (English more specifically). I noticed Macquarie has a nice range of courses. So I'm essentially asking 2 questions:

1. What is Macquarie like as a whole and in regards to the Education courses?
2. What would be my best option for someone like me? The Bachelor of Education (Secondary) or the Graduate Diploma in Education?

Oh also, why are their degrees so short in comparison to USYD or UNSW for example? Would this ultimately affect your employment opportunities and salary?

Cheers!

Last edited:

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
Macquarie has a very good Education program from what I understand, it's been around for a while and one of our stronger sectors (notably Early Childhood). However, since every education course must prescribe to a set of expectations and limitations set forth by the NSW Teacher's Federation for accreditation, there isn't going to be much difference in terms of the course content or teaching. What differs will be the subjects which they allow you to 'major/minor' in. (ie, UNSW don't have a strong focus on Humanities/Arts, but MQ does etc).

As for your second question, this will depend on how much of your BArts subjects can be counted to being 'English' and whether you'll need to do any subjects in English to make up for it. Transcript + Course Outlines will be useful here.

The B Education/Grad Dip Ed is mainly for those who've done a previous degree in a teaching major/minor (ie, B Arts English Lit would feasibly mean that you've done enough units to satisfy an English teaching Major and therefore only need the Teaching-specific subjects).

If you don't satisfy these, then you'll most likely have to do a B Arts Dip Ed or if you're keen enough, do the additional subjects Non-Award while doing the Grad Dip Ed.

http://www.educ.mq.edu.au/downloads/2009 TEP Student Guide Secondary.pdf
http://www.educ.mq.edu.au/downloads/FAQs - Intending Secondary Teachers.pdf

NSW Teachers Federation - I'm capped but there should be something there which outlines the specific requirements

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)