• Best of luck to the class of 2024 for their HSC exams. You got this!
    Let us know your thoughts on the HSC exams here
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Studying for gen. maths (1 Viewer)

greycats

Mister Monday
HSC
Just wondering how everyone else does it, I do those annoying review set things at the end of each chapter, doesn't seem to help that much.
Anyone got a better way which doesn't involve a tutor ;D?

PC

HSC
N/A
Question after question after question. Do every question in your textbook and make sure you understand how they're all done.

Then do more questions. Ask your teacher for extra work.

Seriously. The more questions you do, the better you get.

caseylee

HSC
hey. I just got my maths half yearly exam back and i got 15%!!! i practiced for three weeks doing the Question after question after question thing and it did not work! i feel so dumb im going bad in all my subjects

goosiegoo

HSC
I do my chapter reviews... but thats only because all i need to do is refresh my memory - i know all of the stuff anyway (i did advanced in year 10 and alot of it is basically the same, so its all in my head i just have to remember it). If there is anything i don't know particularly well i do some of the questions from that exercise... or just read the examples and do some myself.
However, for the trial and hsc i intend to do more than that, probably reviews and practice exams from heaps of text books, and the chapters/exercises of the parts i'm not as good at.

cl3nta

HSC
ok even though I do 3u maths - studying for maths is pretty universal :p Basically you need to have a clear idea of the concept in your head and then be able to apply it. So... refresh the concept if you're hazy on it and then go straight to questions. Where to get questions from I hear you say :p well the gen maths section has HEAPS. Also school text book + any text books you could borrow off your teacher + stuff like excell books. If you then run out of questions, try the library! but believe me you really only need your school textbook + maybe one more textbook + past papers (from this site and boardofstudies for the HSC ones)
hope that helps. goodluck :)

greycats

Mister Monday
HSC
mm clear concept is what i'm missing for more or less everything bar plus minus divide and subtraction ;p
i think i'll do some past papers as well as these review questions at each set after copying out all the formulaes and examples i'll need *groan*

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)