Studying for Maths (1 Viewer)

princesskt

HSC
Shrikar said:
Why does it seem like when you thought you did well in an exam, you end up doing crap, is it because of you are over confident etc.? well, what ever it is, it sucks balls, also i am sure many people will agree with me here, Why after so much study does the exam mark end up being crap? It really is a moral destroyer!! I and everyone else who has encountered this problem need help, come trail time we don't have time to worry about such things, we need to get it sorted out now so we can achieve a mark that is true to our ability, so can anyone out there just give us a push in the right direction?
i KNOW the feeling.. through out year 11 after the exams.. i felt like i had done well, i thought they were easy.. well u no, pretty yea.. but then i get the marks back and they were crap as!!

Riviet

HSC
N/A
Shrikar said:
Why does it seem like when you thought you did well in an exam, you end up doing crap, is it because of you are over confident etc.? well, what ever it is, it sucks balls, also i am sure many people will agree with me here, Why after so much study does the exam mark end up being crap? It really is a moral destroyer!! I and everyone else who has encountered this problem need help, come trail time we don't have time to worry about such things, we need to get it sorted out now so we can achieve a mark that is true to our ability, so can anyone out there just give us a push in the right direction?
It's likely to be silly mistakes. You may have attempted most to nearly all the questions (feeling confident as a result) but the silly mistakes let you down. To improve on this, be more careful in your working, set things out clearly, try not to skip steps in lines of working and check your working as you write.

Shrikar

MλĐ€ IŇ ĮŃĐĨλ
HSC
Uni Grad
Riviet said:
It's likely to be silly mistakes. You may have attempted most to nearly all the questions (feeling confident as a result) but the silly mistakes let you down. To improve on this, be more careful in your working, set things out clearly, try not to skip steps in lines of working and check your working as you write.
Alright, thanks for that Riviet.

dr baby beanie

*is so happeeeeee!!!*
HSC
1. Learn the basics and then learn expand and mnaipulate them.
2. Do the question out of a text book and generally the harder ones towards the end will more likely be the exam ones, then compare them to past papers.
3. Learn other methods for doing the same question, if possible, because it will reinforce what you've learnt so you don't keep doing them 'easy way' (also you may find the other way much better-when you've learnt it properly)
4. Read the question carefully.
5. Silly mistakes omgosh yearly, panick, really hard, polynomials, 4/1 =1, 2/1 =1 *woops* try and think clearly if you can. I hope I never make that one again.

Wow I should really start taking my own advice.

SoulSearcher

Entangled in the fabric of space-time ...
HSC
I think you should ;)

Adding to the above list:
6. Don't panic during an exam. If you get stuck on a question, take a minute to look through it again, then if you can't do it, move on. This will ensure that you get more marks by doing questions you know how to do, and may even allow you the time to get back to the question and finish it off.

dr baby beanie

*is so happeeeeee!!!*
HSC
Adding to SS :) ^^
7. Mark that you haven't done the question so you know you have to come back to it.
8. Go throught the entire exam when you first get it (even if you don't get reading time). It's really easy to miss the back page.
9. In an exam number your booklets, and try to keep them in order *woops again*
10. Very importantly LEARN FROM YOUR MISTAKES, whether doing something silly doing a question out of the text book, or something stupid in the exam. You really don't want to make the same mistake twice especially in the HSC.

More advice I should take myself :D

enwiabe

Banned
HSC
Well, for Maths Methods in the VCE I did 118 practice exams. That worked for me.

Shrikar

MλĐ€ IŇ ĮŃĐĨλ
HSC
Uni Grad
This is all good advice, soak it all in guys. By the way beanie you got the words for your custom title off Carpathian's "Holding Hands is for girls" didn't you. I love that song.

Shrikar

MλĐ€ IŇ ĮŃĐĨλ
HSC
Uni Grad
This site, and Boardstudies.nsw.edu.au I think thats it.

P

pLuvia

Have you tried the resource section or buy the MANSW maths past paper books

a.durbidge267

HSC
hey guys thanks heaps pLuvia where can u get those books from
cheers xo.xo

P

pLuvia

Try asking your teacher when you start school again or try dymmocks or those leading bookstores

dr baby beanie

*is so happeeeeee!!!*
HSC
Shrikar said:
This is all good advice, soak it all in guys. By the way beanie you got the words for your custom title off Carpathian's "Holding Hands is for girls" didn't you. I love that song.
Lolz, no I didn't, it's actually a "FaLl OuT bOy" song, :) And ur also the second to pick at my custom caption! :D

Can someone please list sources of past papers if possible, (with solutions) I only know of
1. Success One
2. Coroneos
3. and the ones from: The Mathematics Association of NSW

4. Board of Studies (but these are solutionless)

dr baby beanie

*is so happeeeeee!!!*
HSC
Shrikar said:
By the way beanie you got the words for your custom title off Carpathian's "Holding Hands is for girls" didn't you. I love that song.
Now that I think about it, they probs stole it from somewhere, so nicely spotted! :D

^emmie^

HSC
do u summarise each topic with like all formulas and methods casue thats what i do and find it helpful to read just before tests etc as its short and easier to remember

Riviet

HSC
N/A
^emmie^ said:
do u summarise each topic with like all formulas and methods casue thats what i do and find it helpful to read just before tests etc as its short and easier to remember
Everyone has their different ways and it's probably best to do what you find most helpful for you. :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)