• Best of luck to the class of 2024 for their HSC exams. You got this!
    Let us know your thoughts on the HSC exams here
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Studying-How? (1 Viewer)

Wohzazz

HSC
Half yearlies coming up, and i don't know how to start.

for maths do people start from past papers, then work on exercise (particularly on weak spots) or the other way round, tonnes of exercise and see if u can do past papers (i use to do this but i quite time consuming)

for sciences, i suppose read your summaries and do some calculations and question from text book and specimen papers?

for english, do i prepare essays for adaption, or notes, or what? do i practice doing one? how about if i know the essay question, how do i memorise? write it out, read it many times?

*girl04*

hey every1, how r u?
HSC
N/A
Originally posted by Wohzazz
Half yearlies coming up, and i don't know how to start.

for maths do people start from past papers, then work on exercise (particularly on weak spots) or the other way round, tonnes of exercise and see if u can do past papers (i use to do this but i quite time consuming)

for sciences, i suppose read your summaries and do some calculations and question from text book and specimen papers?

for english, do i prepare essays for adaption, or notes, or what? do i practice doing one? how about if i know the essay question, how do i memorise? write it out, read it many times?
maths the 2nd way if u wanted to. i just memorise foumlas coz there is so many dont actually practise
english: i used to do practise essays but these days u get not good marks for regurgitating them coz u really need to answer question you get on the day

neo o

it's coming to me...
HSC
For english -

it depends on the type of task you get from the school. If it is a pre-advised question, obvioulsy write an entire Essay and memorise it, give it to your teacher a few times till you have it perfect then the night before or 2 nights before write it out about 5 times or till its memorised. (NB : you should be trying to write 1200-1400+ words in 40 minutes)

If its a pre-advised text type, with a selection of options ie : interview, letter, feature article etc

1. Understand all the possible text types and how to write one, so im talking tense, addressing the audience etc

2. Write a generic essay out that could be applied to any text type minus the conclusion and introduction.

3. Give the essay to your teacher get her to mark it a few times etc then memorise.

4. In the test create an intro and conclusion that is suited to the question ie : throw some keywords from the question into your introduction. Considering the module we are doing now, if they give you a generic question, transformation is a great word heh.

Gluck

neo o

it's coming to me...
HSC
For sciences, since they have such great syllabus's go to boardofstudies and grab the syllabus. Then answer EVERY dot point your being tested on in your notes. I got lucky and found a summary from 2 years before:)

Learn the work then do some specimen papers to check how well you know it.

Bio at my school is retarded though. Out of 20% this assessment is worth, we get a theory test worth 3% and prac/skills worth 17% with the same deal happening last term sigh. Considering all we do in class is theory (and all im good at is theory:<) prac is a waste of time...

cro_angel

<3<3<3
HSC
with maths i did revision sheets then realised what i suck at.. and do chapter reviews and exercises till i get it
i have an english prepared essay :( not motivated to do it

~dEjA vOuX~

Home Brand
HSC
Yeah, for maths its better to work on the past papers, and then do exercises when you have determined your weak spots.

redslert

yes, my actual brain
HSC
for maths i just use the by-topic phoneix (sp?) book

for other subjects (IPT, religion), i summerized every chapter that's going to be in the exam...lol that's because i was lazy during the term and didn't do any work before that

for physic (science subjects), just summerised your work according to the dot points in the syllubus!

for english, i wrote and memorized essays

KeypadSDM

B4nn3d
HSC
Maths - Past papers, only past papers, and definately only past papers. Not only are they exam type questions, they ACTUALLY WERE EXAMINED.

Calculon

Mohammed was a paedophile
HSC
N/A
Write an essay that will fit a broad range of questions

Constip8edSkunk

Joga Bonito
HSC
Sciences, summarise notes from a variety of sources according to the syllabus(this is to help in organise and remember the knowledge and concepts, not actually memorising paragraphs for each pt. the key here is to gather as many sources as u can as this will give u a more complete picture).

while you still need to memorise all you can for each point this will be alot easier if you can understand the underlying concepts(even if they re outside syllabus...occasionally) linking the pts together. try to relate the points to eachother, rather than memorise set notes for each pt.

HSC
summarise summaries!
esp for business...eco (learning concepts are more important), sciences

for bus and eco, find updated materials, recents events..etc

abdooooo!!!

Banned
ya summaries... don't bother learning and understanding anything for hsc success.
Originally posted by KeypadSDM
Maths - Past papers, only past papers, and definately only past papers. Not only are they exam type questions, they ACTUALLY WERE EXAMINED.
so the chances of them being examined again in the future are greatly lowered.

abdooooo!!!

Banned
Originally posted by Constip8edSkunk
while you still need to memorise all you can for each point this will be alot easier if you can understand the underlying concepts(even if they re outside syllabus...occasionally) linking the pts together. try to relate the points to eachother, rather than memorise set notes for each pt.
you have to do that if you want good marks... the marking guidelines of a question almost always includes stuff from different dot points on the topic.

redslert

yes, my actual brain
HSC
Originally posted by abdooooo!!!
so the chances of them being examined again in the future are greatly lowered.
no but you would know how to do similar questions
it's a fact that teachers are lazy and all they do is change the numbers around

Wohzazz

HSC
i find that generic essay are sometime not very good to memorise because some questions makes you focus on specific aspects of the modules and some don't. Also the question direct what focus is placed on.
If you have a 1100 word prepared generic essay, what are you going to do in an exam if the question particular targets one aspect of the module?

redslert

yes, my actual brain
HSC
that's why u make the essays are board as possible....but once your in the exam you can manipulate it to the question

it every english text ideas can usually be developed from a lot of different angles

Wohzazz

HSC
Being broad can sometimes result in vagueness, unless you a capable english student

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)