• Best of luck to the class of 2024 for their HSC exams. You got this!
    Let us know your thoughts on the HSC exams here
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Studying-How? (1 Viewer)

G

Gavvvvvin

Our chemistry teacher told us that all the questions for our half yearly are gonna be taken directly from past papers. Damn bitch is too lazy to make up her own questions!

redslert

yes, my actual brain
HSC
Originally posted by Wohzazz
Being broad can sometimes result in vagueness, unless you a capable english student
lol your making a circular argument......i give up

Ziusudra

Be My Only Angel
My advice is to do everything that will be covered in the exam, and practise writing in a limited time frame, just so you won't be in a rush and practise writing dot points in 10 mins.

Leng

With sciences, dotpoints, dotpoints, dotpoints! They are the most well-done syllabuses I've come across and the best thing is the amount of stuff that's been taken out of them. Many of the textbooks haven't cut out the excess so make sure you know your syllabus and don't waste time learning anything you don't need to know. If you know your syllabus, you can also make sure your teacher covers everything they're supposed to - on the whole, they do a good job of that but sometimes they can overlook things. After you do your dotpoints, do your past papers. A lot. A lot a lot.

With maths, past papers, past papers, past papers! Same with software design (ugh, how I detested that subject with its endless rubbish on social and ethical issues). Do them. Mark them. Memorize how they did the questions in the answers. Close the answers. Do the papers again. Mark them. Compare your new answer to the model answer. Close the answers. Do the papers again. When you've done every paper from the last 10 years about 10 times, you should be okay.

Now English. English is a pain in the butt, because it's all a load of nothing. I have yet to learn one constructive thing in 2/3U English. Write your essay, give it to your teacher and pass it back and forth until they're satisfied. Now see if you can con another English teacher (preferably one who's actually marked the 2/3U HSC before) into looking at it. Pass it back and forth until they're satisfied with it. Practise writing out your essay before the exam to see how long it takes you. It's no good having 2500 words for Area of Study when you can only write 1400 in 45 mins. Some good ways of memorizing essays are writing them out repeatedly (ouch!), reading them repeatedly (boring!) or the one that works best for me, read it out aloud like a speech just before you go to sleep. Then when you wake up, read it out again and make sure it's the first thing you do. Works like a charm. The more nights/days you do it, the more it'll stick in your head. This probably would work for any subject that requires long essay writing.

Oh, and learn your formats. It's no good having prepared an essay and then get asked to write the same stuff, only in the format or a speech or a feature article. Unless you're given the question (which at my school, we are for our half yearlys), don't memorize it word for word, just memorize your key points so you can adapt it at need.

Hope that helps you.

PS: Read your assessment sheet and look up the outcomes they've listed on it. Even if you don't get the exact question, you can usually figure out what they're gonna do.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)