• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Studying in NSW / Bond university? (2 Viewers)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Frigid

LLB (Hons)
HSC
N/A
slively03 said:
In fact, Bond's student population is 50/50. 50% international 50% Australian. Since this is half of their target market, full fee paying students are more aware of Bond University merely because it is better known there. For that reason it has more reputation than any other Australian University.
sorry, i'm very bad at following other people's arguments... allow me to paraphrase your syllogism more clearly:-

major premise: 50% of Bond's student population are international students

minor premise: International students are a better gauge of the reputation of a local university

conclusion: therefore, Bond has "more reputation than any other Australian University"

i don't think i need to point out the fallacies in your reasoning.
slively03 said:
if you work hard and get plenty of Ds and HDs I will get a job in a top law firm. According to this subforum, that advice seems questionable now.
yes, it's simple as 1-2-3.

in university if you work hard, you will get "plenty of Ds and HDs" and a job in a top law firm ^o)
slively03 said:
My main ratio decidendi is that i can do a degree in half the time, full fee meaning i'll pay the debt off faster and get double the experience. I also hold Bond in high regard, even though it is unknown, and because it is unknown and a full fee paying private university i can understand that people in sandstone universities may feel threatened.
how do "people in sandstone universities" feel "threatened" by your [potential] enrolment at Bond? Is it because you are going to graduate earlier than us with your highly-regarded full-fee law degree or is it because you'll get "double the experience"?

what makes you think we have a vested interest in your decision? i've made it clear from the start, do whatever you like. frankly, mate, we don't care.

never use the expression ratio decidendi out of context. you're not giving legal reasons for your decision; and you're certainly not a law student yet.

if at all.
slively03 said:
since I am a highschool student in WA, and NSW and Victorian law universities are the centre of the universe, yes?
we're not having a go at you because you're Western Australian (although I've got a grudge against Tim Winton for writing Cloudstreet).

but if you're going to be an obstinate cow, we cannot advise you. we cannot tell you that Bond is a crap university lest you refute us with your solid evidence from Bond University press releases and strong logical deduction.

i have enclosed a 2001 SMH article which you may find instructive. or not.

S

slively03

okay there is not a defect in my reasoning, perhaps you just don't understand what i'm saying here. Perhaps I wasn't clear so i'll try harder:

1. Bond is a full fee university. This means it is 'autonomous' in that it won't function if there are no students paying fees. Since 50% of the school is international, it is marketed overseas because it is a priority to get high fee paying international students there. The University won't function properly without their money.

2. Public universities do not rely on international students. They get funding from the government proportional to the students they enrol. Marketing themselves and establishing an international reputation is not a priority.

3. Therefore, Bond is better known internationally and provides opportunities for postgraduate at Duke or other schools abroad. Just because nobody in Australia has even heard of Bond, doesn't mean that international students want to go University of Melbourne.

S

slively03

People in Sandstone universities are threatened by Private Universities because:

1. They are new and have not existed as long as they have. They are smaller and therefore a smaller number of students get jobs in certain industries compared to them.
2. There is a common misconception that you can 'buy' a degree. This isn't true. I think anyone saying this just doesn't have the money to go to one of these institutions and feels that is justification to criticise them.
3. Bond University is different. And people don't like change. "You're not like me, you must be wrong".

That's it. I am saying no more. As i said, this discussion is finished.

Subforum ended. What a waste of time talking here has been.

S

slively03

oh and my last comment was tongue in cheek, but you didn't get that, yes?
Oh and cloudstreet is an internationally acclaimed box office breaking play and international bestselling book. So you could do better than Mr. Winton I suppose?

S

slively03

I retract my statement about it being a waste of time. I would like to thank everyone for their input but I think this is the wrong place to look for advice. Moderator, please close this thread.

I am walking away now.

MoonlightSonata

Retired
HSC
N/A
As I said, just because the truth isn't what you want to hear doesn't make it any less accurate. I think Frigid's comments here sum it up best:
Frigid said:
dude, you asked us for our opinion of Bond. we gave it to you. then you choose to refute us with various sources. what's your point? [...]

if you're going to be an obstinate cow, we cannot advise you. we cannot tell you that Bond is a crap university lest you refute us with your solid evidence from Bond University press releases and strong logical deduction.
I'll close this thread but leave it here in case other people end up seeking similar advice.

Best of luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)