Studying maths? (1 Viewer)

Integrity_x

HSC
Hey there,

I just wanted to ask for a little bit of advice regarding studying maths. I have major exams coming up in two weeks, and I haven't started studying yet. The whole math book is going to be assessed, and I just wanted to know what would probably be the most effective studying mechanism? I've heard of redoing the math book, albeit about 5 questions per exercise or doing past papers. But I really don't know where to get started, because it looks so overwhelming. I've also most probably forgotten specific methods and formulas that need to be memorised. So what would be the best method of studying maths two weeks before an exam?

Thank you for your time.

HSC
You have two whole weeks to study maths! What I recommend you do is read through all the exercises first and make sure you understand each. Write out all the formulas and an example question in a study book or whatever you use. You should do each chapter review in your maths book and if you have time also do some individual questions from the exercise (Usually the last 2 or 3 because they are generally the hardest). If you completely understand a whole exercise because it's really easy don't worry about it and continue to work through the book.

Last edited:

MiseryParade

HSC
Past papers or excerpts from past CSSA exams on the topics you're being tested on. I wouldn't bother with redoing exercises unless you're failing miserably at that topic.

Sy123

This too shall pass
HSC
CSSA Papers are easy for maths, try Independent papers if you can get your hands on some

Wonder

HSC
I'd start with chapter reviews first, because they cover everything from the chapter, unlike past papers, which might not. While doing the chapter reviews, write down any formulas you've forgotten. Memorise them, then hit past papers.

tOnnyAyye

HSC
Uni Grad
Thought it is kinda of late, it would be okay if I share my tips to you for the HSC in general.

1) Break your study maths down into 3 sections (similar to cambridge maths style). Foundation(Get to know the concept with basic questions), Development(Standard questions from textbook), HSC standard(This section involves doing questions from past papers).

2) Create a formula sheet, that way you won't have to flick through your textbook to find the formula you need.

3) Try to study a bit ahead of class, unless you want to keep the content a surprise. You won't feel stressed or overwhelmed with the concepts in class when you have already seen it. I have taken this to a full advantage to a point where I finished all hsc topics in january, which gives me HEAPS of time to do past papers.

4) Which leads me to my next point, do as much past papers as you can. You'll get a feel of what the exam will be like and also avoiding easy questions from the textbook which is unlikely to be tested in the actual HSC exam. I have done 74 papers since the start of year 12, including HSC papers(1992-2011) and trial papers. But it depends on how much you want to do well in maths.

5) ask your teacher or friends. Without them, learning would not be interesting at all, instead it will be a living hell. My teacher provides me with trial papers and I complete them and ask him to mark. To be more strict on myself, I ask him "what do I need to get 4 marks?", because Trials tend be harder than the hsc. Having friends to study makes the learning process enjoyable. I have a friend who struggles with Maths, yet I helped him so that he doesn't have to be stressed.

Hope that helps. :)

someth1ng

Retired Nov '14
HSC
Uni Grad
Independent, Sydney Grammar, Sydney Boys and James Ruse often make decent exams, in my opinion. I thought Independent 2012 was harder than HSC in 4U.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)