Studying more than 14 credit points (1 Viewer)

dynasty

HSC
Has anyone taken 5 subjects in 1 semester before (i.e 15 credit points)?

For law, where do I have to take the 'application to undertake more than 14 credit points' to? and how easy/hard is it to get approved?

Thanks in advance!

misericordia

Confused Member
HSC
Uni Grad
im doing this next semester - i just took the form to academic adviser (there are 2 of them and which one you go to depends on your family name i think). i think if your gpa is above 3 and have good reason for overloading i dont think you should have any problem at all.

dynasty

HSC
ok thanks..what constitutes a good reason though?

and how long did it take for approval/or was it there and then?

misericordia

Confused Member
HSC
Uni Grad
for me i have to overload to finish my program on time and taking summer school is not an option because of timetable conflict between the summer school unit and one of my sem 1 units. so maybe something along those lines? dw they seemed pretty relaxed about it.

i got my application approved within 2 days - i wasn't notified by email or by phone but i went to the adviser's office in person the next day and found out that it got approved.

Atlas

HSC
N/A
misericordia's reason is good, you can also say that you need to do a unit as a prerequisite for another unit, or that you are planning to reduce the amount of time required to complete your program, or if the unit is only offered every 2 years - you can say that it isn't offered in the next year and you need to overload because you are passionate/interested in the unit etc.

The application should be fairly easy, I brought my application form along with a transcript and it was signed and approved instantly. Just make sure you fill out the form correctly, bring a transcript, and have a good reason that you are prepared to present verbally.

Overloading in law units can be tricky as the added weekly reading can become challenging. The key is to stay on top of things, figure out early on which topics are most important and to prioritise your effort/time, also look at the assessment structure - some units will allow you to focus on a few weeks' of readings rather than everything. Good luck

dynasty

HSC
Thanks Atlas! you always give such detailed and useful advice :)

I do have concerns about the effect that doing an extra subject might have on the results of my other units..so I am still deciding whether to push to graduate on time vs the possibly of a better GPA (esp 4th yr units)

Also thanks misericordia!

Atlas

HSC
N/A
Thanks Atlas! you always give such detailed and useful advice :)

I do have concerns about the effect that doing an extra subject might have on the results of my other units..so I am still deciding whether to push to graduate on time vs the possibly of a better GPA (esp 4th yr units)

Also thanks misericordia!
You can also do some law units in Session 3 if you want to graduate on time. Alternatively, ask around to find out which units are the "cruisiest" (i.e. the units where you only have to focus on your assessments without having to read a lot of matieral each week) - these units should be fairly easy to get a decent mark without too much weekly commitment.

misericordia

Confused Member
HSC
Uni Grad
i feel like ive done all the cruisiest electives out there... initially i was drawn to war law but found out it requires lot of weekly commitment. argh what happened to my days of just handing 2 essays per semester :(

Atlas

HSC
N/A
i feel like ive done all the cruisiest electives out there... initially i was drawn to war law but found out it requires lot of weekly commitment. argh what happened to my days of just handing 2 essays per semester :(
HAHAHAHA :D So true!!! It's such a shock to suddenly be asked to contribute something weekly.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)