• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

studying/revising 3u maths and preparing for tests (1 Viewer)

complex

HSC
first post in ages but anyway, i got accelerated at the start of term 2 into the 3u maths class (from year 10 advanced) iv been doing pretty ok so far without any study at all but i have my yearlies comming up for 2/3u in like 2/3 weeks.

how do you guys doing 3u study? do you just get home sit down and do some problems out of the cambridge book or does your teacher give you sheets etc...

what i do now is i try and sit down for at least an hour a night and work on some problems that relate to what were doing in class.

also - iv been doing some practice 2u exams and im not doing so good, i keep making silly mistakes... every paper i make a few silly mistakes, how do you guys sit the papers? any tips? do you have a certain mindset when you are working on a problem, please dont be afraid to go into details ^^

either way, can anyone recommend me a review book for 3u? currently i just do problems out of cambridge (it takes me like an hour to do 5 problems -_-;;)

ps : if anyone has any notes on anything in the 3u prelim course, any notes at ALL, doesnt matter if there really dodge, can you either attach it to the thread or drop me a pm? please? :D

SoulSearcher

Entangled in the fabric of space-time ...
HSC
Well before, when I was studying for extension 1 maths, I would be doing questions out of as many textbooks as I could find, on topics that I knew I had trouble with. You are going on the right treack, just continue studying and doing questions.

Well, I come into an exam just thinking about anything other than maths, I find that if I think about maths too much before an exam, I'm going to be fucked in that exam :p But you would have to find a mindset that works best for you.

Hmm, well there is a book called Understanding Year 11 Maths, Extension 1 (2 and 3 Unit Course) that works well as a review guide. You could get that if you want, otherwise just continue doing questions on the topic.

airie

airie <3 avatars :)
HSC
I read the textbook and jot down the points that are completely new to me or those that I need to look over more, and concentrate on those. And put more of an emphasis on techniques rather than trying to memorise solutions to routine examples.

As of stupid mistakes in exams...I keep making them for some reason too :mad1: I do try not to...just keep telling myself to read the questions properly and answer them :p In the 2u exam last week for example, I nearly stared my eyes out scrutinising the test paper should I make any mistakes. Not sure if that helped though :rolleyes:

kathrynso

HSC
What i'm doing now, since i've got my prelims next week, I go over the topic that i'm not as good at (functions...and perms/combs)

Making stupid mistakes is very common (looks at assignment sheets) My advice is to regularly do questions that you keep making the mistakes in and vary the questions.

I wish you luck in your exams! =)

zizou10-5

HSC
dis is what i used to do but stopped, i use to be like a top student but casme down to lowest 10 lol, cos i got lazy hehe.
I use to always do past exams, teachers do class tests ons pecifci tests do those, if u relaise ur weak in that topic revise the theory, the teacher gave u and also do from abook, n i use to doo all the questions in every exercises, almost all. Den do all the past papers when u r competent in every topic.
I'm starting to try to do hthis, hopefully it works

Riviet

HSC
N/A
Other than past papers, which is still one of the best ways for preparation, I would recommend looking at the most recent past exams you've sat, identifying the area(s) that you are weak on, and doing practice questions on that topic area.

Also when doing past papers, try to do them within the time limit, ie set yourself the amount of time you'd get so it'll be just like exam conditions. Work on your speed + accuracy as well as minimising silly mistakes.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)