"Studying Smarter"? (1 Viewer)

eyeseeyou

HSC
N/A
I have no idea haha. I'm not that close to him. But all I know is that he always sleeps for 2-3 hours every single day, whether it's exam time or not.
In the end he didn't get any band 6. Only 3 band 5, 2 band 4 and 1 band 3.
Lol milkytea99 how do you know this info though?

HSC
Uni Grad
Whereas, Emma who also wants to improve her math marks sets up a study schedule for the week with clear goals for her study. She studies in blocks and attempts specific questions. She only completes a few of the easy questions and once she is satisfied with her ability to answer those moves on to the harder questions. If a question is taking too long, she highlights it and makes a physical note to ask the teacher about it. When she makes a mistake and realises what it is, Emma adds it to her book of mistakes to be wary of during an exam. She also makes a list of what to remember for the test and once she feels herself tiring out either takes a break for the moment or for the day depending on the time.
This. If you're spending more than 30 minutes on one question, I suggest you skip it and ask someone else for help (could be a friend, your tutor, teacher, etc.). Cost benefit yo. Time is very limited you know.

lilcutetricker

HSC
Uni Grad
A lot of people above has pretty much said everything that needs to be done to 'study smarter' but i'll summarise my opinion of studying smarter.

- Understand what you're studying: There's no real point in skimming through your content every time you're studying and saying 'i know this - next' because you're wasting time and you're giving yourself false confidence. If you really want to test yourself i'd recommend looking for specific questions that really test you, that makes you think - i know this but to what extent?
- Ask for help - honestly, you're at school to learn - you're not expected to know everything. If you did know everything, you could just skip all the classes and take tests. Students often refuse to ask for help because they think their peers or teachers would think they're stupid or for whatever reason. Worst thing i did - look at the answers and tried to logically explain it to myself. Yes, it did help me understand concepts BUT my understanding wasn't the most clearest understanding because i just worked backwards. Big mistake. I lost like 1-2 marks in the 7 markers because a lot of my answers weren't succinct as they could be.
- Reflect upon your mistakes - when you get a difficult question incorrect: analyze the fuck out of it. Look at the dotpoints that it used, the concepts, etc. Often harder questions deepen your understanding and just reading the answer IMO doesn't help as much.
- Take breaks: HSC in retrospect didnt require that much work. I could've easily maintained a part/ full time job if i just managed my time since majority of it was just the stress and that mindset of 'shit if i don't study i'll get x and wont be able to achieve y'. As long as you know your content, there's nothing more you could do. Go in, kick ass and come out with results. In saying that, preliminaries are definitely the best time to figure all the exam techniques out.

End note: Enjoy the rest of your highschool experience. Definitely you'll enjoy uni more and 'real life' but high school is the only time you'll be able to be this close to anyone.

milkytea99

HSC
Cuz I heard this from other people in my year haha.

HSCReady

HSC
Hi! Well, to me, studying "smarter" isn't necessarily linked to studying less. I think it's just a matter of knowing where to focus your studying energy when it comes to how well you know the course content. If you are really struggling with s subject, then obviously more understanding of fundamental principles is needed, whereas if you're only somewhat lost, you might just need to revise some notes. If you know intuitively how well you would do in an exam situation present day, then you'll be able to gauge where you'd focus your study energy on. For me, I excelled in English, so I revised my essays a couple of times and left it at that. For 3 unit maths and physics however, I found the concepts hard to grasp, so I did 10 past papers for each in preparation for my HSC exam, and this increased my marks for these subjects from Trials enormously. It's all about being able to acknowledge where you need to focus your energy for studying.
Good luck with everything! :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)