studying towards CA/CPA qualifications (1 Viewer)

hatty

Banned
hi all

if i was to do a course in accounting, but for some reason it did not have the professional accreditation of the ICAA or CPA, what steps can I take to actually get that qualification?

i'm refering to the bachelor of business and commerce at UWS. they say if i was to do this degree and majored in accounting, it wouldn't have the qualifications that a normal b. business (accounting) degree woulld have, even though we would be doing the same subjects/units, whatever.

so my question is, if i was to take the first degree (which isn't accredited with ca/cpa), what can i do after i graduate to get this professional recoginition?

ch3ers

Grizzly

euphoric
HSC
hatty said:
hi all

if i was to do a course in accounting, but for some reason it did not have the professional accreditation of the ICAA or CPA, what steps can I take to actually get that qualification?

i'm refering to the bachelor of business and commerce at UWS. they say if i was to do this degree and majored in accounting, it wouldn't have the qualifications that a normal b. business (accounting) degree woulld have, even though we would be doing the same subjects/units, whatever.

so my question is, if i was to take the first degree (which isn't accredited with ca/cpa), what can i do after i graduate to get this professional recoginition?

ch3ers

How to be a CPA

Frigid

LLB (Hons)
HSC
N/A
According to the 2004 list of accredited tertiary courses, the UWS Business degrees should allow you to enrol for the CA post-graduate qualification.

As in page 8 of that document, the courses that need to be undertaken are:

University of Western Sydney

BBus
BBusAdmin

200103 Accounting Reports and Decisions OR
200101 Accounting Information for Managers
200111 Financial Accounting Applications
200109 Corporate Accounting Systems
200112 Financial Accounting Issues
200102 Accounting Philosophies and Theories
200116 Management Accounting Fundamentals
200488 Corporate Financial Management
200107 Auditing Principles
200184 Introduction to Business Law
200183 Law of Business Organisations
200187 Taxation Law

BBus/LLB
200103 Accounting Reports and Decisions OR
200101 Accounting Information for Managers
200111 Financial Accounting Applications
200109 Corporate Accounting Systems
200112 Financial Accounting Issues
200102 Accounting Philosophies and Theories
200116 Management Accounting Fundamentals
200488 Corporate Financial Management
200107 Auditing Principles
200006 Introduction to Law
200011 Contracts Law
200018 Law of Associations
200019 Revenue Law

jlh

sooner or later...
HSC
yeah i was wondering this also...

i mean if he (assuming hatty is a guy) was do go b. business and commerce and did those accounting subjects, wouldn't that be enough to be a CPA? it is a business/commerce course as well...

theone123

blue essence
HSC
dont risk it.

"As you are doing non-accredited course, your best option would to have your degree assessed by CPA. This assessment costs $131.00 and is valid for 5
years. You will just need to download the above form, fill it in and post it back to us. But, should you apply for CPA membership within 5 years of the assessment being done. CPA will take $131.00 off your application fee."

klh

HSC
B B&C says majors!!!!
B B(Acct) has more units dedicated to accounting subjects while the B B&C has the main but not all of them. You could choose the extra ones as your electives to satisfy them anyway though.
One of the UWS lects told me that there are 13 ccompulsory units to do at uws to gain cpa whatever qualification which majors dont satisfy. However youcan do extra ones to gain accreditation but itll cost you more time/money so if you want the accrediation, stick with the B B(Acct) mate, since it takes less time compared to doing a B B&C and having to do extra units to mke up for it.

hatty

Banned
yeah, well the only reason why i want to do b and c, it so i can do 2 majors

thats all

but thanks for the information kind friends

klh

HSC
but you can do the B B(Accounting) course and major in whatever you want still works you know. That course gives you enough electives to major in something and you can gain cpa/ca accreditation, dummy.

Minai

Alumni
HSC
Uni Grad
mm...as long as you do all the required subjects, you are eligible regardless of the degree (technically)

hatty

Banned
klh said:
but you can do the B B(Accounting) course and major in whatever you want still works you know. That course gives you enough electives to major in something and you can gain cpa/ca accreditation, dummy.
so does that mean i can do tourism management? or HRM? as well as accounting

klh

HSC
the flexibility of UWS degrees allow oyu to do any major you like in any subject you prefer. ;)
the answer is yes, tourism, hrm....i think natstar is majoring in tourism and she is doing a marketing degree so thats proof.
hope this is good news for you.

amaccas

HSC
N/A
bump for this thread.

any tips on how to do well in taxation law? I'm doing it at UTS. Anyone else done it there. I'd appreciate any comments!

Kind regards
Amaccas

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)