Studying two degrees at once? (1 Viewer)

JasmineNuytre

I AM ACTUALLY BIGPOLE
HSC
Is it possible to study two degrees at once and two different Universities?

My friend does a degree at USyd but also wants to take up a degree at UWS, he might do that UWS degree part time if it gets too much. He is applying through UAC.

Would they tell him he isn't allowed? or is it no problem? has anyone ever done so?

hotdimsim

HSC
you arent allowed to do it. you can only be studying at one uni at a time.

JasmineNuytre

I AM ACTUALLY BIGPOLE
HSC
you arent allowed to do it. you can only be studying at one uni at a time.
Though a lot of people do cross institution, they aren't studying at one uni in that sense.

What would be problem with studying two degrees at once? who "disallows" it?

Templar

P vs NP
HSC
What would be problem with studying two degrees at once? who "disallows" it?
Timetabling and funding issues, for starters. They are governed by the resolutions of the university, so in short the senate disallows it.

decypher

HSC
I met a guy that was doing IT and Medical Science concurrently. It wasn't a double degree (at least that's what he said and I couldn't be arsed to find out if it was true). However both degrees were at the same uni.

baby_femme

HSC
Is it possible to study two degrees at once and two different Universities?

My friend does a degree at USyd but also wants to take up a degree at UWS, he might do that UWS degree part time if it gets too much. He is applying through UAC.

Would they tell him he isn't allowed? or is it no problem? has anyone ever done so?
i think you can take two degrees at once in different schools, but of course you can't take a full load on 2 majors, 'coz that would't be possible, you might as well killing yourself by doing so...you should let both institutions know about it, or your friend may also take 2 majors at the same time, so less conflict there is... Some institutions won't credit some subjects taken from other schools... So beware of that... It's better if you would ask the admin of the Universities your friend's intersted with...-

Moldy81

UWS Course Info
HSC
Studying at two different Universities is not ‘disallowed’ as such, but there are some restrictions / conditions. I would check out www.goingtouni.gov.au and the hecs help booklet.

Oxbridge

HSC
N/A
It certainly isn't disallowed! I am doing a double degree at one University and a single one at another. Whilst I have deferred one component of the double degree (Law- for obvious reasons), I undertook 7 subjects the other semester and 8 this semester. It just requires commitment, and a good set of legs (or roller skates).:haha:

The problem arises with HECS, you are allowed 7 years of full-time study. Undertaking 8 subjects next semester will, in effect, mean that my semester will be a whole year (according to HECS). However, once you have chewed through HECS you can begin to chew into the FEE-HELP so I am told (to a max of about $40k I am told). This just means that you are paying FULL FEE for your remaining courses, instead of a govt. contribution. This fee however is 'deferred', much the same at HECS is dependent on how much you earn. Although, I am told that if you move overseas your fees do not get taken out of your earnings (for obvious reasons- you won't be lodging tax returns in Australia).

Doomah

HSC
what the hell is getting a degree at UNSW and then another at UWS going to prove? and your friend can keep dreaming, the travel alone would eat up any life he would want......

he may aswell do a double degree at UNSW or overlad and do 5 subjects.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)