Studying @ UNSW – a guide from a student (1 Viewer)

missanonymous7

Secretive Member
HSC
Re: Textbooks / Handbooks / Student Fees

Textbook question - what's a 'wiley plus card'? If I buy a second-hand textbook, does it come with this card or not? And is it worth it?

Last edited:

Bourne05

HSC

I was just wondering exactly the same question.

2008 UAI: 96.35
B. Science (Advanced) UNSW

m3_evo8

HSC

Hi, I'm doing higher maths 1141, and we were prescribed the Calculus one & several variables + WileyPLUS 10th edition... I was thinking of buying a second hand 9th edition of the book.. So would there be much difference between the two editions? or should I just wait until I start attending lectures and then decide?? Plz reply.... Thanks.... :)

Otacon2009

HSC
Sorry I've droned on about this in the past, however I'm transferring degrees and need to get this question about UNSW off my chest.

I'm doing an Undergrad degree at CDU (In Darwin, NT). I'm about to wrap up my third semester and have applied to UNSW through the UAC. What I want to know is if UNSW has a certain standard for undergraduate transfers. I'm doing a Bachelor of Creative Arts and Industries (Communications) so I'm doing subjects such as Public Relations, Marketing, Multimedia etc. Grades haven't been terrible, but haven't been spectacular either. Looking at the UAI/ATAR requirements, the courses I've nominated in preferences are in the 70's.

So, would I get accepted no questions asked providing I don't slip below 50% and get a F in a subject or is it expected to get something Credit and above?

moll.

Learn to science.
HSC

With regards to textbooks, I thought the following might be welcome:

I would recommend getting all the prescribed/mandatory textbooks, as the course is often taught straight out of there, with a few minor adjustments. There's normally also a few recommended/voluntary textbooks for each course. Most students don't bother with these, but if you get halfway through the course and find yourself struggling with the content they're normally a good place for help.
Wait until you know exactly which textbook you need. There's a website where you can type in your course and it will tell you what textbooks are prescribed, which are recommended and how much they sell for at the UNSW bookshop. I can't remember what the website is, but look it up on the "A to Z Guide" on UNSW site.
I would recommend getting them all within the first two weeks of the semester. O-Week would probably be the best time, although it's mostly only first-years who go that week.
Now, NEVER buy your textbooks first-hand, unless it's a new edition or they've just changed book. In the first few weeks of the semester there will be a whole pile of little notices on various billboards around campus (you'll now which ones because there'll be a small crowd of people in front of them with their phones out) advertising textbooks for sale. However, that way can be tedious, and because of the high volume of traffic, the sellers have often promised it to someone else by the time you call them.
I would instead recommend textbookexchange.com.au. You can search for the exact textbook you need, compare prices and email/SMS the seller instantly. You also don't have to be a member to use it, and not many first-years know about it, so you don't have much competition.

dawdlex3

HSC

Enter your course codes (format: ABCD1234) at the UNSW Bookshop Textlist search to see what textbooks you need for 2010 Semester 1:

Textlist

Sokolov

HSC
N/A

A WileyPLUS card comes with textbooks that are published by the company Wiley.
For those who are going to purchase Calculus One and Several Variables for example, the WileyPLUS card has a number that grants you access to online supplementary material to the textbook such as further examples and questions, doesn't count towards your grade.

I personally didn't use WileyPLUS much, as if 100 questions per topic in the MATH1131 and MATH1231 tutorial booklets weren't enough already.

glimmerless

HSC

Just a question regarding textbook editions...

So lets say it says this.

Edition: 2E08

What does that mean exactly? Does it mean it is the 8th edition?

PendleburyBrown

HSC
Chem1011 Textbook

Chem1011 Textbook

Chemistry 6e 2010 Blackman
IBSN 9780470810866
Brand New. No Markings. $100. Will suit any first year university chemistry subject.

If interested please contact myself John @ jpendleburybrown@gmail.com

Thanx

Last edited:

Mature Lamb

wats goin on
HSC
Uni Grad
Not sure if this BoSer is still active. If I were to update this guide, would a mod be able to edit it?

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
Sure, I think they'd welcome it. Probably bug one of the more active ones and they'll probably be happy to help.

Hey, ML - this remind you of anything?

- What’s a UNSW?
UNSW stands for the University of New South Wales.
hehehehe

Rekkusu

Currently: Away
HSC

Having gone through undergrad and post-grad. I'd recommend to all university newbies not to buy prescribed textbooks immediately.

It's better to wait 1-2 weeks into the course, see if the lecturer actually says that you'll need to answer questions from that textbook, or read prescribed sections.

Apart from math statistics, I don't ever recall having to read from a textbook.

All lecturers base their exam questions on their own lectures, tutorials and if you're science/med based Laboratory stuff.
Some people have fallen into the trap of memorising things from prescribed textbooks, when in fact examinable material is from the lecture (which sometimes MAY be different to the textbook!)

And when I mean may, its almost always the case. Lecturers don't bother updating their notes. I can bet you the course you're doing now, probably is using the same lec notes when I was in UNSW.

If you really need to buy textbooks and can afford the wait, bookdepository is the CHEAPEST place to buy new books. Or if you want second hand, textbookexchange is good. Some people even sell on BoS, I bought some stuff off here from previous unsw students as well.

Last edited:

LightXT

HSC
Uni Grad
Just a small note: 391 and 392 buses also go to the Eastgardens Westfield from the university side of the road on Anzac Parade.

EpicHero

HSC
Hey, I was wondering what transport would be like for getting to and from the university if I had night classes (after 5:30pm)?

fizzbylightning

HSC
Uni Grad
If you mean from central station to uni, i think the uni's express services terminate by that time (the latest service leaving central at around 2.30pm). You would catch an M50 that runs every 15/20 minutes I believe or the public services like 393/395. You should be fine getting back to central as 891/895s run until 9.20pm. These services are quite frequent, even late at night.

http://www.facilities.unsw.edu.au/getting-uni/buses-trains-ferries

obliviousninja

(╯°□°)╯━︵ ┻━┻ - - - -
HSC
Uni Grad
The guide is good and all, but there's just a generic list of what UNSW offers, but don't other unis like USYD offer the same thing...is there a significant point of differentiation?

fizzbylightning

HSC
Uni Grad
If you are deciding between USYD and UNSW Commerce, make sure you've done your research on the program structures that each uni offers. If there is still no point of difference there, then it is up to you to talk to commerce students of both unis, go to each uni and see which campus you personally prefer in terms of campus life, utilities/services, support, etc. because you will surely find differences there.

Squar3root

realest nigga
HSC
Uni Grad
are the buses ment to be free? It said in the UNSW pamphlet that 1.7k free buses run every week

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)