Studying with/without music? (1 Viewer)

kendallkreene

HSC
Everyone says that it is better to study without music on because it helps you concentrate, but I get distracted easily by stuff that goes on in my mind so I find that music actually helps me concentrate because it blocks out all the scattered mental activity. Does anyone else feel this way or is it just me?

spaghettii

HSC
Uni Grad
Yeah I usually switch between music and no music depending on what work I'm doing, but generally I listen to music while working.

I've noticed I always get songs stuck in my head when doing exams so I've started listening to particular songs when studying so that when I'm in the exam I play the song in my head and associate it with whatever I was studying. It sometimes works haha

tazhossain99

HSC
My use of music whilst studying depended on what I was studying. For higher conceptual thinking subjects (e.g. Physics), music would be a no-no. For lower conceptual thinking subjects (e.g. English and Maths), music would be an option but preferably ignored (music may lead to procrastination). My advice for you would be to ensure that you appropriately decide when to listen to music as to maximise the effectiveness of your study in regards to your concentration. Personally, I would but in minimised quantities.

pikachu975

Premium Member
HSC
Mostly always did HW or studied with fast paced music e.g. modern songs, nightcore, dubstep sort of stuff, as I was always on low sleep so it was hard to concentrate!!

PikyoK

HSC
Yeah I usually switch between music and no music depending on what work I'm doing, but generally I listen to music while working.

I've noticed I always get songs stuck in my head when doing exams so I've started listening to particular songs when studying so that when I'm in the exam I play the song in my head and associate it with whatever I was studying. It sometimes works haha
Me too

frog1944

HSC
I personally listen to music when studying on quite a consistent basis. I find that it helps focus and concentrate my attention. However, the genre of music I listen to is movie scores/soundtracks, which are often orchestral or instrumental which I thoroughly enjoy, whilst the lack of words eliminates the collision between mental thought and the music (as when you think you think in words, which when listening to other words, for me at least, seems to be incompatible. Interestingly, for maths the effect of this seems to be quite dramatically reduced, but is still not ideal).

spaghettii

HSC
Uni Grad
genre of music is important as well.
Yeah definitely

I find that I usually listen to different genres depending on the topic, e.g. maths - trap, hard style; art - rock; legal studies - either trap or rock

Sp3ctre

HSC
Classical music helped me concentrate much more than usual, I find other genres distracting though

DontCallMeYoshiko

HSC
I've found that piano covers and ambient music has assisted me the most with studying

planetblue

HSC
It has to be kept quiet, and it has to be instrumental so the lyrics don't influence my writing or distract me. I'm alright with any music while doing maths though. Blast it. I jam out to freaking Hamilton the musical. My name is Alexander Hamilton.... and there's a million things I haven't done, but just you wait....

Message to Bears has some nice background study music. It can be sad or refreshing or intriguing and (nicely) influence your writing. I have three of their albums on my phone.
Ohhhh the mountains say, the mouuuuntains say....

strawberrye

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
I think studying with music can help to a certain extent, but closer to exam period, you need to try to do past exam papers under time limit with no music on. There is actual psychological studies that show that you perform the best in exams if you try to replicate exam conditions as closely as possible. What this means is if you are in actual exam with no music, but you are used to studying with music, your memory recall will be poorer compared to when you have practised with no music.

However, what I find is sometimes I listened to music enough times I can have this virtual tune in my head playing when I am doing the exam paper, it is sort of motivating particularly when you feel tired during the exam.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)