Stuffed up preferences (1 Viewer)

barnsey88

HSC
Can someone help me. I receieved an offer to Commerce at Macquarie, however i wanted to do UTS Business and that is the next preference after Macquarie Commerce. My UAI is 92.40, is there any way of getting into UTS Business?

Thanks

Odourless

HSC
Argonaut said:
The only thing you can do is to wait for the second round of offers and hope you get in. In the meantime, ACCEPT THE OFFER YOU HAVE BEEN GIVEN, then go onto your prefereces and re-arrange them so the course you now want is number 1. If the second round of offers comes out and there's nothing available and you haven't accepted, you'll lose the place and you'll have to wait until the final round, where there's justa handful of offers made. But if the second round of offers comes out and you've accepted, but you get another offer, you can always back out of the first.

Other than that, there's nothing you can do but wait and hope. BUT MAKE SURE YOU ACCEPT WHAT YOU HAVE, that way you're still guaranteed a place at uni.
So that wont screw up with our already accepted offer?

I'm in the same boat. I got given an offer to somewhere but now I realise that I would prefer a couple of the offers below that I think.

I just don't want to screw up anything in case I don't get in any of those in the second round. And If I do get those in the second round and change my mind again will I still keep my first round offer that I accepted?

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
Why did you put them ahead of your intended ones? Seriously?

theone123

blue essence
HSC
not worri asq..

there will be ppl who do well in HSC, but when it comes to the simplest things, they dont understand, lol

HSC
Then perhaps you should hold off from uni this year and apply next year, give you a chance to think about what you really want to do because theres no point in going through it all to do a course your only sort of sure about.

Tri

HSC
Hey guys I got a question... Does the letter H on your your offers letter mean you would have been accepted if not for the higher preference being chosen first?

gman03

HSC
Does people really understand what preferences means? or do they think that if they put 9 preferences and then they get an uai and then a magic cut-off number and think 'ohh geez my uai is higher than cut-off of every course on my list... I choose my ninth preference'?

The usual way to fix up stuff up preferences, as suggested by others is:
* rearrange your preference online for free
* wait for late round
* if no offer than transfer next year
* if not transfera again the year after

and so on.

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
UAC said:
The selection process

Applicants may include up to nine UAC course codes in order of preference on their UAC application. The applications for each UAC course code are ranked in order of merit, with the highest considered first.

Each applicant is considered in turn to see whether a place is available in the course listed as first preference (whether it is a Commonwealth-supported place (CSP) course or a domestic fee-paying (DFEE) course).

If no place remains available, the applicant is considered for his or her second preference and so on until an offer can be made or preferences are exhausted.

During the selection process in January, your Commonwealth-supported (CSP) and domestic fee-paying (DFEE) preferences are considered in the order in which you have listed them on your application.

Example: If you have included Commonwealth-supported (CSP) preferences on your application:
and you are eligible and competitive enough for the first CSP preference you have listed, you will be made an offer to that course and the rest of your CSP preferences will not be considered. If, however, you are not eligible for the first or second CSP preferences you have listed, but are eligible and competitive enough for your third CSP preference, you will be made an offer to your third CSP preference and the rest of your CSP preferences will not be considered.

If you have included domestic fee-paying (DFEE) preferences on your application:
and you are eligible and competitive enough for the first DFEE you have listed, you will be made an offer to that course and the rest of your DFEE preferences will not be considered. If, however, you are not eligible for the first or second DFEE preferences you have listed, but are eligible and competitive enough for your third DFEE, you will be made an offer to your third DFEE preference and the rest of your DFEE preferences will not be considered.

* This means, if you have both CSP and DFEE preferences, you may receive two offers in each of the Main, Late and Final offer rounds as follows: one offer to the highest CSP course for which you are eligible and competitive enough; and
* one offer to the highest DFEE course for which you are eligible and competitive enough.

If you do receive two offers, you can choose which one to accept.

^top
Are all preferences given equal consideration?

Yes. The selection process is based on the system that if you are not selected for your first preference, whether it is CSP or DFEE, you will be considered equally with all other eligible applicants for your second preference and so on.

Your chance of being selected for a particular course is not reduced because you placed a course as a lower order preference. No applicant will be selected for a course simply because she or he entered that course as a higher order preference.

Example: Applicant A does not qualify for an offer to courses listed as preferences 1, 2 or 3, and has course 116677 as preference 4. If applicant A is eligible and is more competitive than applicants B and C who have listed course 116677 as their first preference, then applicant A will receive an offer before applicants B and C.
Kids really don't read

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
Argonaut said:
Hey don't you get feelings of self-importance and contribution to society when you ehlp these poor people out?

Or are you every bit as jaded as I am?
Maybe if i was getting paid, but for the most part i wonder how these kids made it through the HSC and feel sorry for their souls when they hit uni :S

GoodToGo

HSC
N/A
AsyLum said:
Maybe if i was getting paid, but for the most part i wonder how these kids made it through the HSC and feel sorry for their souls when they hit uni :S
I used to get paid to do stuff like that for the PR department. I think Skittled works for PR now..

Well, I think mentoring can go someway to helping...though some people really can't be helped!

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
Yeah i do too :) (the PR stuff)

and yeah, do mentoring as well, want to do teaching because of how much fun it is, but yeah, its amazing how some people get passed the exams, the real world is going to be a shock once the spoon feeding has stopped

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)