stupid PIP referencing (1 Viewer)

royaaran

HSC
hey im stuck on how to reference my PIP. I know how to use the harvard referencing but what do i do when my reference is a website? Should i just copy the link as it is..or should i place the name of the site and then add the link next to it?? im lost.........

And is it bad if most of my references are from the internet? I know its wise to use a variety of sources but at the moment, the net is overtaking :S

Kulazzi

HSC
Surname, initial (if there is a named author) (date -- if there is one) ‘Title of document’ (in italics or inverted commas), Address (e.g. URL) Access date in parentheses.

Site with no date
Just put (n.d.) [“no date”]:

example

Moon, J. (n.d.) ‘Choose-a-Urinal Challenge’, http://www.andonet.com/users/jtmoon/Flushed/toilet~1.html (Accessed
16 Jan. 1998).

Sites with no named author

This is very common. Put the site in alphabetical order under the title.

example

‘Men's Movement History’ (n.d.) http://www.vix.com/pub/men/history/rdoyle.html (accessed 7 December 1998)

Kulazzi

HSC
The internet is considered not to be a very reliable source. How much internet sources do you have as opposed to books, articles etc.?

If you have 8 internet sources, but only 5 books/articles/whatever, then I'll be worried.

Having books/articles dominating your resource list shows that you have at least gone through the effort. Try the State Library if you are desparate for some last minute resources. I have to warn you though, you cannot borrow books from there. You can only request [this is where you fill out a 'slip' with the title, author, ref number etc. after you have searched for the book] the item, and then after a while pick them up from the shelf [the kind librarians actually go and find it for you although there are some books that do not need requesting and are on the shelf on the lower floor], read/skim through it, write notes/photocopy [I think, form memory, it costed around 20c, not sure though], and then return it back in a different shelf. They also have lockers just outside the library to put your bag in [bags not allowed in the library] and if you are taking another textbook into the library, you have to fill in this form before, or when, you enter [this is to verify that it's yours and not the library's].

If you already know the process of the State Library, then you have just wasted about one minute reading my [very detailed] explanation :p

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)