stupid question: its vs. it's (1 Viewer)

HSC
hello all!
i know this is a stupid question, but it is a very common mistake ppl make. so when do we use "its" and "it's"?
is it: this is its cake
or
this is it's cake (as in this is Johnny's cake with the ' sign --omg i even forgot the name)

i asked ppl but they gave me conflicting answers. AIYA~!

i knew a while ago but forgot again!:D

still waiting

HSC
i think that its "it's" when its the hyphenated form of "it is" and u use this when its ownership...... i think...maybe.... i think ive just confused myself sorry that probably doesnt make sense.....

klaw

HSC
it's = it is
its = ownership

An apostrophe is needed to show ownership for other nouns (e.g. Kevin's hand or the mobile's features), but the word "it" is a special case, and does not abide by that rule.

P

pLuvia

the "apostrophe s" after a word usually means "word" is

i.e.
that's = that is
he's = he is

klaw

HSC
kadlil said:
the "apostrophe s" after a word usually means "word" is

i.e.
that's = that is
he's = he is
Yes, and it can usually also means ownership... but the word "it" is a special case and no apostrophe is used to show ownership.

P

pLuvia

klaw said:
Yes, and it can usually also means ownership... but the word "it" is a special case and no apostrophe is used to show ownership.
lol.. fine fine...~~

mishka

HSC
N/A
klaw said:
it's = it is
its = ownership

An apostrophe is needed to show ownership for other nouns (e.g. Kevin's hand or the mobile's features), but the word "it" is a special case, and does not abide by that rule.
top of the class!! :p

The amount of times we've had this drilled into us this year at uni is unbelievable!! I always knew the difference but it's surprising how many uni students do not.

PerfectByNature

I am Jack's wasted life
HSC
true... most peope dont know how to spell properly... but then, sometimes you just dont realise

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)