Stupid question time: Whats a trade union? (1 Viewer)

saves.the.day

HSC
Going through some past papers and I found this question "Explain the role of trade unions in the current wage determination system"

I don't know what trade unions are so I can't really answer that question.

The closest thing I think it could mean is like labour unions so my answer would go something like

"The current wage determination system depends on enterprise bargaining and minimum award wages set by the ACTU. The role of trade unions is to negotiate wage rises collectivley using certified agreements (CA) ... blah blah" then talk about the process.

I dont know if thats what the answer I should put because I dont know what a trade union is. First time I heard of that. Any helps appreciated.

-Lester

meh

a trade union is a group formed by workers to reduce the power of employers. They bargain collectively for wage rises or better working conditions and thing like that -like the teacher's trade union - if you're in a public school, chances are your teacher belongs to one

their power has been reduced in the system due to enterprise bargaining - employees can INDIVIDUALY bargain with their employers. However, they still strike and are generaly a nuicance to this day - they usualy like march on NSW parliament for minimum wage rises and crap like that. The main point to mention is that their power and influence has been reduced due to the deregulation of the labour market and the abandoment of the Accord

hope this helped, good luck

Anna

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)