Stupidist Thing You have known someone do to a computer (1 Viewer)

asscookie

dork.
HSC
My uncle had a computer laying on its side with the casing off. My cousins and I were running about the house playing hide and seek, and I managed to step *on* the motherboard. Needless to say, I broke it and I got into a lot of trouble (this was a few years ago...).

sladehk

le random
HSC
When I was small, I accidentically killed my dad's notebook by playing with the power switch (this was quite a few years ago when a 400mHz was the best on the market)

HSC
The dumbest things I've ever seen people do with a computer have pretty much all happened while I was back at school (Am I sensing a pattern here?).

1) Placed a large, strong magnet taken from a fridge, directly on a CRT monitor, watched the pretty swirly patterns and gone "oooh", then taken it off and wondered why the monitor didn't return to normal.

2) Talked a metric fuckload of shit about how the "Y2K Bug (OMG)!" was the cause of a problem causing a machine to reboot endlessly, when in fact some exceptionally funny individual had put a goto start at the end of the autoexec.bat.

3) A ("computer skilled") teacher insisting that the reason a computer was bluescreening was because of the monitor cable being loose. Thus, whenever someone ran //con/con and bluescreened their computer (Win 98), he'd come over and jiggle the monitor cable, get sick of it, reboot the computer, then repeat the entire process as they did it again.

4) The same teacher's Dealing with a crash procedure involved first of all the normal alt+ctrl+del, then ctrl+esc, then, the best part, extending his index finger and running it repeatedly down the left hand side of the keyboard, pressing esc, tilde, tab, caps lock, shift, and ctrl, over, and over, and over, and over. After trying this for a while, the teacher would get bored and reboot the computer via the reset button. (This is all despite the student involved insisting that they've already tried and that it's definitely frozen completely).

And in the interests of fairness, one of the dumb things which I've done :)

Working inside a case, listening to music playing from another machine with headphones on. I was disconnecting drives, moving them around, etc. Anyway, I went to plug the power for an HDD back in and just couldn't seem to line it up quite right. It seemed like it was in the right spot but it just wouldn't connect properly. I suddenly realise I've got an intense pain in my left arm, which feels like nothing I've ever felt before. I stop, take off the headphones, and realise that the other computer is *actually* still turned on and running, and that I've just zapped myself. Not that drastic, but certainly not something I'm going to try again anytime soon. Incidentally, and thankfully, the drive itself, nor the computer were damaged :)

Last edited:

sladehk

le random
HSC
Lol! (3) actually happened at my primary school!

Korn

King of the Universe
HSC
Poking the shit out of a LCD monitor at school

Arvin Sloane

We are not amused.
HSC
Back in the Windows 98 days I tried to copy my windows folder from my C:\ drive to my D:\ drive. I then deleted the windows folder of the C:\ drive.

Ah, to be young and stupid again.

+Po1ntDeXt3r+

HSC
magnets from TVs and microwaves.. apparently can..

but they are big.. ..

i heard u can properly destory a HDD with a microwave.. .. i think destroy the microwave too..
but then there goes all the incriminating evidence

HSC
jm1234567890 said:
that's impossible!!!!

you need a really strong magnet to damage a harddrive
To clarify, when I posted I was referring to an absolutely massive magnet, a component taken from inside the fridge, rather than one which was stuck to the door. I know you're not referring to me in this post, but upon re-reading my post I realise it's a bit vague :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)