Subject Choice Advice (1 Viewer)

GiveMeTheATAR

HSC
Hello everyone,
I am in a bit of a situation. I am currently in Year 10 and I am about to make my final decision regarding subject choices for Year 11 and 12. My situation is that I need to study Maths Ext. 1 to do the Uni course that I want to do, except my teacher has recommended that I do Mathematics (2U) and not Ext. 1. I am a generally good Maths 5.3 student. Most of my test results are 87% or above. Should I choose Ext. 1? Or alternatively move a few subjects around and just go with Mathematics? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks!
-GMTA

si2136

HSC
N/A
Do 3U. But what course do you want to do?

Drongoski

HSC
N/A
Since you are capable of handling 3U, I cannot understand your teacher's recommendation to do only 2u. Unless you cannot find a spot for 3U in a very competitive cohort, I cannot understand why you'd be offered such an advice.

Have you any idea why you'd be so advised?

So I think you should do 3U. If later on you should ever find you do not like your 3U, you can always drop it. But if you do 2U only, it'd be difficult to move up to 3U. Besides if the course you hope to pursue requires 3U, then all the more you must insist on doing it. I'm really curious to know why you'd be deterred from doing 3U.

Last edited:

kashkow

HSC
Hello everyone,
I am in a bit of a situation. I am currently in Year 10 and I am about to make my final decision regarding subject choices for Year 11 and 12. My situation is that I need to study Maths Ext. 1 to do the Uni course that I want to do, except my teacher has recommended that I do Mathematics (2U) and not Ext. 1. I am a generally good Maths 5.3 student. Most of my test results are 87% or above. Should I choose Ext. 1? Or alternatively move a few subjects around and just go with Mathematics? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks!
-GMTA
It's not that hard. I got like 50% in my term 1 assessment in year 10 and I do extension 1 and am alright with 3U. Also you can drop down from 3U but I don't think you could go up from 2U. I feel like if I did just 2U it'd be so easy and I'd smash it...

Sxerks3

HSC
Well, you're receiving pretty good results for someone who was recommended for 2u. I suggest you move to Extension; you can always move down if you feel it's too hard

calamebe

HSC
Yeah I agree with everyone else, 3U is the way to go man.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)