Subject CHoices... (1 Viewer)

ShirLz

well i'm applyin to a law/economics degree at unsw or usyd for next yr - and i also don't have any maths - i did general in yr 11- and totally killed it - but when i picked up ext.2 in yr 12 - i dropped maths entirely --> it hasn't affected my economics marks, bcoz as long as u understand the theory, u'll be fine. also, the english focus means that u'll be better equipped to understand the logic of the economic arguments...

Downside [:p ] - trust me when i say u'll reach a point where the englishness will get to u..all i do are english based subjects, includin m.history n ext.2 english n economics, legal n business studies - all u ever seem to do is write essays n essays n essays

in terms of uni: i really want to do an economics degree because i really like economics...but i may have to do a bridgin course in maths - if u want to do it, its do-able - just depends on how badly u wanna do it.. oh and also, usyd has a new economics degree w/ a humanties rather than maths focus its called bachelor of economics [social sciences] n is also available n combination w/ law --> so dats another option...

oh n if u're doin all those extension stuff, then u may have a prob w/ coinciding assessments n major works being due at the same time --> how well u do depends on your commitment to your subjects

In terms of UAI: while u may get scaled on the basis of the difficulty of your subjects, you'd have to do really well in all of them [all 10units] to get a UAI - it is possible for someone who does standard english n get in the 0.3% of the state to b scaled as much as s/one who does ext2 -
don't try n cheat the system by pickin diffult subjects - choose sthg u're good at n enjoy, n sthg u think relates well to your future plans -

oh, n don't get caught up in the HSC stress syndrome - its also your last yr of high school - take time to smell da flowers - have fun N good luck!!!!
:D :D :D

bilal

yeh.. and dont do physix and chem, without any maths either...

well. chem.. u can prolly manage..
but physix.. nup

Dario

HSC
I don't believe it is necessary to do Extension 1 Mathematics to be able to do well in Physics. 2U Mathematics is just fine, if you can understand almost everything in that course. Extension 1 and Extension 2 just make topic areas like projectile motion harder.

Minai

Alumni
HSC
Uni Grad
I agree...projectile motion in physics is actually easier to do/understand than in Extension 1 Maths...so its kinda invalid to say "I'm doing 3U and coz of that, projectiles in physics is easy"

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)