• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Subject drop - chem or eco? (1 Viewer)

buitifulpeople

HSC
Hey guys, so currently I'm doing

Adv English
3u Maths (picking up 4u)
Physics
Chemistry
Economics
Computing 1u (dropping)

I feel that conceptually, my weakest 2 subjects are eco and chem. For chem I'm ranking top 10 out of pure luck, and for eco I'm in top 30, but I've been procrastinating a bit for both. Also I'm really bad at eco research assignments.

I'm just wondering, do eco and chem get more interesting/easy in HSC? How much of the prelim content is relevant for HSC? And which one should I drop?

Last edited:
HSC
Hey guys, so currently I'm doing

Adv English
3u Maths (picking up 4u)
Physics
Chemistry
Economics
Computing 1u (dropping)

I feel that conceptually, my weakest 2 subjects are eco and chem. For chem I'm ranking top 10 out of pure luck, and for eco I'm in top 30, but I've been procrastinating a bit for both. Also I'm really bad at eco research assignments.

I'm just wondering, do eco and chem get more interesting/easy in HSC? And which one should I drop?
Chem gets interesting in year 12. You should drop the subject you are doing poorly in. IMO chem is better because it's not heavy content based like Eco. Plus, with chem (not advising you to) you can rote learn. However Eco requires you to understand fully in order to answer the question properly and correctly.

RivalryofTroll

Sleep Deprived Entity
HSC
Uni Grad
Chem gets interesting in year 12. You should drop the subject you are doing poorly in. IMO chem is better because it's not heavy content based like Eco. Plus, with chem (not advising you to) you can rote learn. However Eco requires you to understand fully in order to answer the question properly and correctly.
You can rote learn for Economics as well.

I'm sure Chemistry is still content heavy to an extent.

@OP:

HSC Economics does get interesting after Topic 1.

I suggest you keep both until the 1st or 2nd assessment for Year 12, then decide.

HSC
You can rote learn for Economics as well.

I'm sure Chemistry is still content heavy to an extent.

@OP:

HSC Economics does get interesting after Topic 1.

I suggest you keep both until the 1st or 2nd assessment for Year 12, then decide.
IMO economics is more content based in comparison to chemistry.

Both are interesting subjects though.

mreditor16

HSC
for reasons I don't want to go into, and this hurts me to say :(

drop eco, trust me.

iStudent

HSC
Eco. The essays are just annoying. Plus, writing these essays comes down to being able to guess them in the end. (so there's a bit of luck involved). That's what I think anyways. (maybe someone else can shed some light on essay writing)

mreditor16

HSC
Eco. The essays are just annoying. Plus, writing these essays comes down to being able to guess them in the end. (so there's a bit of luck involved). That's what I think anyways. (maybe someone else can shed some light on essay writing)
imo, that is all completely wrong. you can do very well without "guessing" the questions.

iStudent

HSC
imo, that is all completely wrong. you can do very well without "guessing" the questions.
But then you have to know all the statistics and trends and everything. Well I guess the exception is that you know your content REALLY well :/
I don't know, I guess different people have different study methods.

buitifulpeople

HSC
Thanks guys, I'll see how I go next term but I'm probably going to drop eco :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)