Subject help ! (1 Viewer)

sle3pe3bumz

glorious beacon of light
HSC
Okay I'm in quite a predicament. I do 3u maths, adv. english, chemistry, ipt, engineering and physics. Overall it's 13 units, a bit much for me imo.

I'm planning on dropping either engineering or physics, or even IPT if I have to (but really don't want to). Engineering and physics are very alike and I'm unsure of which is going to be harder and which will be more enjoyable.

Physics seems like one of those subjects which are really up there but also quite difficult. I know that if I do well in it I'll be fine, but I'm not even sure what I could get in the HSC.

Engineering. Well it's okay. Seems alright. But well, I'm not sure what's to come so yeah. Also, if anybody doing engineering this year could help, what are you studying in engineering right now? I feel like my class is falling behind for some reason so yeah.

Anybody with ANY advice at all, help? lol. I'm killing myself here. =/

davidbarnes

Trainee Mȯderatȯr
HSC
What career path you interested in? If it was me I'd drop IPT.

sle3pe3bumz

glorious beacon of light
HSC
well my options are: engineering, pharmacy or IT. along those lines .. so yeah. I mean they aren't all very similar but I'm interested in those fields.

and I'm gona confess I'm in IPT for the easy marks. I mean the HSC is just a game. Play it well and you'll win.

Kujah

HSC
N/A
Have you got your reports yet? They might help give an indication on whether or not you should drop one of those subjects. How are you coping at the moment? Is it the mainly the workload, effort or marks that you're considering dropping a subject?

Well if it was up to me, I might try those 13 units up until the half-yearlies and then make a decision :)

JJV

HSC
Well it depends wat uai u wanna get and the career ur interested in. I did 13 units and my reason for it was if i did bad in 1 or 2 subjects i still got other subjects to cover it up(=for uai case). Many people in my school who dropped the subjects were also usually bludging in their free p's, so if u think ure not like that kind of people or if u think ure really gonna fail badly in those subjects or if u think by dropping the subjects u can improve well in other subjects which ure still gonna do then go for it. My last advice is think properly before u do it bcoz once u drop something u cant pick it up anymore. So drop it if u think u won't regret it later. All the best =]

xclusv2bhung

sexier than neha x10000
HSC
sle3pe3bumz said:
well my options are: engineering, pharmacy or IT. along those lines .. so yeah. I mean they aren't all very similar but I'm interested in those fields.

and I'm gona confess I'm in IPT for the easy marks. I mean the HSC is just a game. Play it well and you'll win.
lols , if youre seriously considering pharmacy like i am , in all honesty , drop physics - cos if you hated it in year 12 , chances are youre not guna suddenly love it in year 12 :p [yeah ive got like this major thing against phys xD]

one of my friends does engo studies , and really likes it .. so yeah , i dont see anything wrong with it i guess.

but then , your career choices are pretty broad - most engo courses are pretty phys based , whereas pharm is more maths and chem based ... so yeah haha. see which one you truly wanna do , then drop the course you end up not liking :)

davidbarnes

Trainee Mȯderatȯr
HSC
Kep physics if you want to keep your options open.

sle3pe3bumz

glorious beacon of light
HSC
Ah thanks for the replies guys !

kujah ; got my report on friday. but im doing relatively the same in all subjects so yeah. =/ im coping okay. well kinda. i just want more time because i feel like it's gona make things easier for me so yeah. if i need to i guess i might keep them till the end of the term, but i really wish i could do it asap.

JJV ; im doing 13 units. if i drop one, ill still have another unit to back me up which i think is okay for me. so yeah. but i do think that most of the frees i get i will spend wisely. well most of them. ^^" im pretty sure i want to drop one. ultimately, it will just be a waste of time imo. what with the doing of assessments and stuff. not worth it.

xclusv ; lol. well i didn't exactly hate prelim physics. i understood it pretty easily and done quite minimal hw and still came out okay. ive got to agree that my choices are broad, but those are the things i'm into to yeah. =]

763259826t35647 ; lol.

davidbarnes ; hm, where would physics actually come in or help? engineering yes. anything else ?

lol'd.

HSC
well good luck with whatever you decide to do, are you considering just keeping 13 units for this term, seeing what the workload is like and seeing what each subject is like, so then in the hols you can decide what, if anything, to drop? That's what I'd do.

sle3pe3bumz

glorious beacon of light
HSC
763259826t35647 said:
well good luck with whatever you decide to do, are you considering just keeping 13 units for this term, seeing what the workload is like and seeing what each subject is like, so then in the hols you can decide what, if anything, to drop? That's what I'd do.
Yeah I'm guessing that I'll have to do that unfortunately. Ah I just don't want to waste time thats all. Ah I'll try make up my decision by the end of the term. No use studying for a subject in the 6 weeks holidays if I'm not gona do it is it?

Nosviper

HSC
I did IPT, Physics and Engineernig with 2 unit mathematics

Physics our whole class struggled in year 11 because our teacher was pathetic. Top mark was around 60%. In year 12 I decided to ignore our teacher and teach myself and it payed off well. Im aiming for a band 6 or high band 5 in physics when the marks are released in a few weeks. I found that physics and engineering really compliment each other thus aspects of each can be incorporated into one another. Especially in the motors, generators, semiconductor topics.

I enjoyed engineering but really dislike the examinations. You never get assessed on knowledged base work. Maybe a few questions. You are given a scenario, one that you have never learnt and have to apply your knowledge, sometimes they give you scenarios they you have no clue whats going on.

IPT was my easiest HSC subject and I topped the class and looking for a band 6. Taught it myself with no teacher because she was a bitch and didnt know anything.

THE RULE IS
* IF you enjoy the subject = interest = motivation = study hard = excel. Out of all 3 physics will help you the most if you manage a band 5 or 6 UAI wise

sle3pe3bumz

glorious beacon of light
HSC
Nosviper said:
I did IPT, Physics and Engineernig with 2 unit mathematics

Physics our whole class struggled in year 11 because our teacher was pathetic. Top mark was around 60%. In year 12 I decided to ignore our teacher and teach myself and it payed off well. Im aiming for a band 6 or high band 5 in physics when the marks are released in a few weeks. I found that physics and engineering really compliment each other thus aspects of each can be incorporated into one another. Especially in the motors, generators, semiconductor topics.

I enjoyed engineering but really dislike the examinations. You never get assessed on knowledged base work. Maybe a few questions. You are given a scenario, one that you have never learnt and have to apply your knowledge, sometimes they give you scenarios they you have no clue whats going on.

IPT was my easiest HSC subject and I topped the class and looking for a band 6. Taught it myself with no teacher because she was a bitch and didnt know anything.

THE RULE IS
* IF you enjoy the subject = interest = motivation = study hard = excel. Out of all 3 physics will help you the most if you manage a band 5 or 6 UAI wise
OMG ! your a girl and do those 3 subjects ! lol .. im so fascinated ! :)

That helped quite a bit. But I'm still unsure .. what if I'm unable to gain a band 5 or 6? what about a high band 4? lol. I mean I'm pretty good in physics in a sense. I'm pretty happy with my rank in the class and my teacher also tells us that we're a really smart class. But still, I'm unsure how we'll do in comparison to other people in the state.

Also with IPT, I can top it too. Easy band 6. But the thing is .. you don't exactly get an automatic 90 in your UAI as it depends on the state.

Looking at some stats, if I came top 25% in the state in physics, I'd get a higher UAI then coming in the top 10% in IPT. =/

Btw, I also hate engineering exams ! lol.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)