• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

subject selection 2024 (hsc 2026) (1 Viewer)

momothemonkey

HSC
hey guys im a current y10 student who is a bit conflicted on what subjects i should take for y11 and 12. i currently go to a high ranking selective school and have had straight As for all my subjects from y7-10.

my options are:

ext1 eng
advanced math
legal studies (accelerated hsc 2025)
japanese continuers
modern history
chemistry

(most likely)

OR

ext1 eng
advanced math
legal
biology
modern history
chemistry

OR

ext1 eng
ext1 math
chem
modern
legal

OR

ext1 eng
advanced math
chem
physics
accelerated legal
modern history

if i end up doing 13 units for y11 including japanese then i may drop it and take ext2 english but i have to see how im going with english and japanese once i reach year12. also, math is my weakest subject (i still get As but (depending on the test) they can be barely As). my strongest sciences is chemistry however im basing my knowledge/skill in physics purely based off of y9 marks as we havent done a y10 physics test yet. i'm aiming for an atar of ideally 98-99.95 but ik this is very hard to achieve.

any advice would be greatly appreciated!! (my subject selection form is due 01/07 so an extra thank you to anyone who replies before this time)
tysm yall and enjoy the rest of your day/night :)

mato915

HSC
I think finding out which subjects you are passionate at should matter, as the subjects you love and are passionate are typically those you excel in.

Scaling matters as well of course, but considering you are getting straight A's in your subjects I think you should be fine.

Also see what kind of options - like career options, prerequisites, assumed knowledge are needed for individual degrees which you have interests in/ want to pursue.

Consider what your strengths and weaknesses are, if you are less maths-oriented, then consider how maths advanced may/ may not count towards your designated 10 units, and perhaps think of do you need backup units.

considering you are accelerating legal studies, if you are interested in a more law/ business/ writing-based career, and also in conjunction with english extension, consider what unis, and what specific degree to choose from if any, and perhaps figure it from there.

personally i dont do biology but I have heard that its much more recall and short answers than calculations in physics; chemistry is kind of a mix of both.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)