subject selection advice (1 Viewer)

HSC
Hi, i have to choose my year 11 subjects.
so far i have come up with the following,

Maths 2U
Maths Extension 1
Information & Processes Technology
Economics
Business Studies

I am still undecided as to do Chemistry or physics. Which one would suit the other choices and be better scaled?

Also, I want to know the difference beetween English Standard and English Advanced. Is it true that you cant get about 89% in Standard, why is that? I am doing OK (around 75%) in English this year.

Also, is it a good idea to do both Business and Economics together? I am interested in both subjects.

Finally, are the above choices good and are good for getting a high UAI?

yosemite sam

HSC
shawty-snappin said:

Maths 2U
Maths Extension 1
Economics
Business Studies

I am still undecided as to do Chemistry or physics. Which one would suit the other choices and be better scaled?
Scaling shouldnt really be something you take into consideration when choosing subjects. If you do well in a subject, your marks will reflect this better than scaling will.
Also, I want to know the difference beetween English Standard and English Advanced. Is it true that you cant get about 89% in Standard, why is that? I am doing OK (around 75%) in English this year.
English Advanced is basically a more advanced course that requires more thought and effort in topics - further analysis etc. The workloads/number of topics etc is basically the same but Advanced is more demanding. It is possible to get band six in standard, apparently its hard to do, but a mark above 90 is a band 6...so if you get above 90 - youve got a band six.

Also, is it a good idea to do both Business and Economics together? I am interested in both subjects.
It probably is a good idea if youre interested in both as theyd have a lot of common knowledge between them that would be of benefit to you. There's no rules about which subjects you should choose... but what youre interested in should take precedent over what you think will scale better or what other people say you should do.
Anything can get you a good UAI as long as you work hard and get the marks you want/need for that UAI

HSC
Since I'm not from NSW, I can't give specific information on scaling, so if assumptions I make are inaccurate, please feel free to correct me.

If you are interested in all of the subjects you have listed, then they are the best combination to choose from. I'm sure that many people successfully do Business Studies and Economics, so if you are truly interested then I'm sure you will be ok.

As I said, I'm not from NSW so I can't give accurate info on English Adv vs Standard English.

I assume that chemistry and physics both have similar scaling (at least they do in WA), so that shouldn't be an issue. I'm not sure if the fact that they 'suit' your other subjects should be a deciding issue, although if your quite strong with maths then physics might be the way to go.

But, as a whole, I can't stress enough how little scaling should influence your overall decisions. You have to enjoy each subject in order to do well, and doing well is the best way for scaling to help you. So, overall, make sure that you choose subjects you like, subjects that you're capable of, subjects that will meet any uni prereqs.

I hope that helps, sorry I couldn't be more NSW specific, but I'm sure that you will make the right decisions for you.

HSC
shawty-snappin said:

Maths 2U
Maths Extension 1
Economics
Business Studies

* you're good at maths (if you're dong 3u anyway) perhaps physics might be more to your liking? chem and physics scale quite similar and quite well if you go well in them.

* you've got decent marks in english. do advanced.

* you're interested in busi and eco do both.

* don't worry about scaling, just do what you are good at and what you're interested in.

* yes they are good choices to get a high UAI

good luck :)

jemsta

I sit here alone
HSC
yeah you shouldnt choose subjects which has better scaling...you should choose them as to whether or not they interest you...if they do then by all means pick them, but both of them scale pretty good.

and no its not true that you cant get 89% in std english, although its very difficult to get a band in std english (only a handful got them last year, although the amount of people that get band 6 is slowly increasing)

any choices are good for getting a good UAI, whether or not they scale good or not...depends how much effort and how well you do in those subjects thats going to be the deciding factor.

cs01001

HSC
Getting a Band 6 is NEAR impossible, it's very difficult though. UAC documents reveal only <1% of the total candidature gets it, which is around 20-30 people in the whole state.

HSC
can someone tell me why its hard to get a band 6 in standard english? isn't it really because the majority of the stronger english students do advanced?

Grim.Reaper

Banned
HSC
N/A
watatank said:
can someone tell me why its hard to get a band 6 in standard english? isn't it really because the majority of the stronger english students do advanced?
There is an outcome in the English Advanced syllabus that is not present In the English General syllabus, which makes it difficult for those who do General to achieve a band 6.

HSC
ok thanks everyone for the help. much appreciated
now ive decided to do chemistry, but now i am wondering whether I should also do physics instead of business studies?
As compared to Business Studies, is the workload and diffculty more in physics? Also in Business studies, is it a lot of content that you have to learn, and is the content relatively easy?
What is the difference in scaling of BS and Physics?
Would you recommend doing Chemistry/Physics as a combination vs Business/Economics?

aussiechica7

HSC
if u r considering medicine at all, make sure u take chem. it's a prereq at almost every undergrad uni. it's an interesting course in itself, anyway.

Last edited:

rusticmetal

HSC
business is memory and question structuring, economics is a lot of stats and trends.

SoulSearcher

Entangled in the fabric of space-time ...
HSC
I would tell you to decide your courses based on where your interests lie, not because of scaling or the format of the exams etc. If you are interested in the subject, you are more likely to be motivated to do the work and do well in it, so that's just my little bit of advice to you and anyone else having a subject dilemma :)

cs01001

HSC
Check out a thread called 'eco vs bus' or something like that in the Economics forum.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)