Subject Selection CONFLICT (1 Viewer)

patrick1997

HSC
Hello guys, i've spent several days and i'm seriously torn about subject selection. I'm not exactly one of those 'bright' students, i'm not one of those kids who already know what 'career' they are doing either. I'm not taking Mathematics next year and i'm not too keen on Science. Essay writing is honestly not my forte and it's not because i don't know how to write.. It's just that i don't know how to structure them very well and i always ALWAYS seem to write so subjectively.. So far this is what my selections look like.. I'd like if you helped me and give me your honest opinions on these subjects.

Adv English [I can always drop down to Standard in Year 12 but i'd like to give it a try, since i've had my fair share of good moments w/ English]
Biology [I've always been interested and i'm all down to receive a more in-depth understanding]
Modern History [I've always been interested in History as well, i received a D on my report though :6 the reason for this huge downfall is because of that terrible unfinished essay i wrote]
Society & Culture [Another subject i am quite interested in but again it's essay oriented]

For the last two subjects, this where i am absolutely lost and i really don't know what to do :s i'm seriously acting like a child and i'm basically jumping upon each subject and coming up with crazy solutions that i will do this but at the next minute i say no and i just ugh please help :))

I'm either doing ...
Drama [ I did Visual Art for Years 9-10 and honestly it is my weakest subject, but as a person, i am generally creative and artistic and i believe that Drama is a much different medium for me to take on as a subject where i can get the creative juices flowing]
Chemistry [ I don't even know why i'm considering it??? I was quite interested but i've heard it's quite hard and for my level i don't think i would ever understand it, but this year's Chemistry was interesting but the fact that i have a terrible teacher probably counts as why i didnt do as well in exams ]
Legal Studies [ At first, i was pretty sure i was gonna take Legal Studies but i'm already doing 3 subjects that rely on so much essay writing eg. SoC PIP and generally History essays.. so i guess you could say that i was discouraged by the idea of writing even more essays]
French Beginners [ I did German for Years 9-10 and i didn't do as well because i was at that 'rebellious and lazy' stage of my life but i believe i can tackle re-starting a whole new different language]
Information Processes Technology [ another possibility and i'm interested to pursue something around this industry]
PDHPE [ I have come to understand that this is not PE at all and it's a subject about the human body and being healthy & i really want to get into the health industry??? like i've always been that type of person who likes to heal and support? I'd probably want to be a nurse when i grow up ]
Hospitality [ The only problem i have with this subject is that it is a non-ATAR course ??]
Business Studies [Yet again you can add this subject to my list of essay nightmares but im interested in how business works ]
Community and Family Studies [ My interest is quite piqued]

Well that's it i guess... I have to choose 2 and my deadline is in 2-3 days... I know it's silly but i've spent so many countless nights with what i want to do and i just want to do it right this time because i really don't want to make mistakes. I can never control the future but i can always clear up my path to a good one :p

As i said.. generally my only problem truly is essay writing but i like the essay writing guides in BOS... i've been taking notes :)

michelleeeee

HSC
There is quite a substantial amount if essay writing in modern just to warn you.
Try chemistry out, especially of you have no other subjects you want. You do quite a lot of practicals which I find fun, it's not too heavy on the maths like a lot of people assume. We have a few girls doing no maths and chem and still going fine. Plus with chem there are no essays

shak99

HSC
Uni Grad
Business Studies can't be classified as an essay nightmare. It's one of the easiest HSC subjects available...if your interested in businesses.

If your not a strong science student and you're not really motivated to put in the extra effort, don't pick Chemistry (i'm assuming you'll be aiming for a band 5/6)

patrick1997

HSC
I guess using the word 'nightmare' is a bit of an overreaction. I know i said i was not too keen about Science but as a child i was extremely interested, however, it's still one of those subjects that are still on my 'hmmm..." list

patrick1997

HSC
The practical work is probably one of the reasons why i'm considering it but yes it's not essay oriented, however, i believe it's all about understanding concepts and terms and memorising them at the same time. I decided that i am not doing Legal studies lol too much writing for this guy :)

simplyinsanity

HSC
From what you've posted here, I think you should try drama or hospitality. By the way, non-atar course is not a problem - it means you don't even have to sit a HSC exam! I definitely would not recommend legal studies for you because it is 50+ % essay and the short-response questions are basically mini essays. Good luck choosing!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)