subject selection for year 11 2014 (1 Viewer)

MKhalid

HSC
Hey guys,
i was just wondering if the subjects i have selected for next year (yr 11) would get me a good atar. They are more than 12 units but ofcourse i will drop some of them in yr 12. i am also confused which one to choose: ancient history or business studies
these are the subjects i have selected:
extension 1 maths
extension 1 english (engish is my strength)
chemistry
biology
1 unit studies of religion
legal studies
ancient history or business studies
i may be dropping from studies of religion to catholic studies

any help would be much appreciated [/FONT]

shak99

HSC
Uni Grad
Hey guys,
i was just wondering if the subjects i have selected for next year (yr 11) would get me a good atar. They are more than 12 units but ofcourse i will drop some of them in yr 12. i am also confused which one to choose: ancient history or business studies
these are the subjects i have selected:
extension 1 maths
extension 1 english (engish is my strength)
chemistry
biology
1 unit studies of religion
legal studies
ancient history or business studies
i may be dropping from studies of religion to catholic studies
[/FONT]
Your subjects are fine, as long as you study consistently..there's no reason why you can't achieve a good Atar

As for your choice between ancient history and business studies, do the subject that you are more interested in.

Last edited:

nojess

HSC
wait that's like 15 units.. you're insane.

LoveHateSchool

Retired Sept '14
HSC
Uni Grad
wait that's like 15 units.. you're insane.
I'm always an advocate of keeping units very open at the start of prelim, you can always drop a subject in the first several weeks of yr 11 :D Totally different unit advice in yr 12 where the MAX I'd recommend someone doing is 13, anymore and you are cutting yourself fine. (I often find 11-12 to suit a large amount of HSC candidature)

I did a lot of your subs, Adv Eng, 2u maths, bio and chem so any Qs for them shoot me that way. For Ancient and Business, why the toss up between the two? What are the pros and cons of each? (Cause yes they are both humanities but are quite different imho)

SuchSmallHands

HSC
I'm always an advocate of keeping units very open at the start of prelim, you can always drop a subject in the first several weeks of yr 11 :D Totally different unit advice in yr 12 where the MAX I'd recommend someone doing is 13, anymore and you are cutting yourself fine. (I often find 11-12 to suit a large amount of HSC candidature)

I did a lot of your subs, Adv Eng, 2u maths, bio and chem so any Qs for them shoot me that way. For Ancient and Business, why the toss up between the two? What are the pros and cons of each? (Cause yes they are both humanities but are quite different imho)
+1, start year 11 with as many units as possible

Hila

HSC
I also did 15 units throughout year 11 that I was completely certain I'd keep in year 12 (then stress happened and I dropped down to 11). Your subjects look good to me, as long as you like them and are happy with them. Seriously. Pick subjects you enjoy! If you don't enjoy science or something don't take it because you think it scales well, subjects get harder in year 12 and it helps to like a subject as it keeps you motivated. Regarding Ancient or business... Hmm, that's really up to you. You said your strength is English which would help you in both subjects as they're both essay-based. If you find history interesting pick ancient but if you think you'd do better in business and find that more interesting, pick that.

I'm biased because I do ancient but from what I hear business is alot like legal (which i do). I personally find subjects like legal and business very memory-based. There's alot of concepts you need to memorize and remember. Saying that, obviously you need to memorize things in Ancient as well but I personally find Ancient more interesting and feel more like I'm learning, whilst when I do legal I find that I'm more focused on purely memorizing. But remember everyone is different!! That's just me, plus I don't do business. I suggest you talk to students who do both and see which one they prefer to help you make your decision.

OMGITzJustin

HSC
N/A
dont do anymore than the minimum... especially in year 11, its just wasted effort

jazzawhat

HSC
I would suggest not dropping to Catholic Studies. It's not a board developed course and does not contribute to your atar. Studies of religion scales quite well so if you can handle it definitely keep it :)

LoveHateSchool

Retired Sept '14
HSC
Uni Grad
dont do anymore than the minimum... especially in year 11, its just wasted effort
No, because having more of a base in yr 11 means you have greater flexibility to pick the best subject/amount of units of Yr 12. Not wasted effort, because subjects differ a lot from Yr 10, plus you can have that comparison of performance without it affecting your yr 12 marks at all because the marks are completely independent :D

chardy2651

HSC
Choose business preety interesting alot of memorizing and alot of fun activities along the way more useful in life and career options it brings more options and paths at UNi not a hard subject choose what your interested though which will keep u more motivated to study and what your interested in and think of ideas what u wanto do after school?

jamesischool

Forum Lurker
HSC
Uni Grad
^
15 units is so much, year 11 is your last real freedom year you don't want to be cluttered with so many units and exams.
as to which subjects to pick to get a good atar, pick what you're good at - not what you think scales well. don't pick up mx2 just because it scales well if you're not cut out for it.
personally i would recommend doing 13 units but hey it's up to you. and you can always just pick ancient then swap to business if you don't like it or vice versa so your choices aren't really that important :)

HSC
do business, 10x easier than ancient, and you can get good marks even if you bullshit in the exam. In ancient you have to remember way more than business including primary AND secondary sources as well as way more shit, and business is also easier because the questions are based on common-sense, as long as you have basic knowledge of your case study (such as Woolworths, Qantas, etc).....then you can fly through it. As long as you remember the syllabus which is easy. Also you are good at english, and that will help you bs :p
(You still have to study though, just not as much as ancient)

SuchSmallHands

HSC
Actually, if one of your units is Catholic Studies you should be fine. My school won't let me (apparently if your the top of SORII you can't drop to Catholic Studies before even finishing prelim) but I'm considering doing it next year and if they don't let me whining to the board. It's basically not a unit, it's more like a free period in which there's usually a movie playing in the background (current year 12 is knitting blankets for African children in Catholic at the minute haha). You should be fine, that was a good decision.

thought-process

HSC
I can't believe schools let people do 15 units in their Preliminary year, my school limits it at 12 for both Prelim and HSC....

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)