Subject Selection Guide (1 Viewer)

bustinjustin

HSC
I realise that a thread about subject selection already exists but here is a more general guide...

1. CHOOSE A SUITABLE LEVEL OF...
MATHS
(Too) many students each year make misguided calculations (excuse the pun) on their mathematical abilities, more so than English. The day when myths about the great wonders the scaling in Extension Maths courses can do for one's marks cannot come any sooner.
Only select Ext 1 (and later, Ext 2) Maths if:

- You achieved a Band 5/6 and a mark of 80+ in Year 10 Advanced Maths (students at my school who scored less than 85% in Year 10 were strongly advised, nay even banned from extension maths and even the whole subject altogether)

- If you are of moderate ability (like myself) when it comes to maths and don't know , from personal experience it's best to start wit 2U Maths and stick with it (unless you really want to keep your options open). However,
3U Maths students finish most of the 2U course in Year 11. Whether this helps you or not is a different matter.

- Depending on your ability, generally 2U Maths has about an 1hour of homework after each lesson, 3U has about 3 hours (triple), 4U Maths well...let's just say many 4U students spend whole evenings on Maths
-Genera Maths is a hell of a lot easier than 2U Maths. The difficulty and workload increases exponentially with the Maths courses. General Maths is inadequate for uni preparation.
- All in all, only pick Maths (and Extension Maths) if you're performing well in it. If a certain uni course states that it is assumed knowledge and you're not really good at Maths(remember, prerequisties are long gone), then maybe its best to rethink your uni ambitions.

ENGLISH
- Unless you're scoring in the mid to low 70's or less in English, its best to opt for Advanced. Note that the Dux of Standard English in 2004 wasn't even awarded a Band 6 (I realise I'm perpetuating the whole 'dont do this because of scaling' idea, but this is a one off)
- Advanced is not all that difficult as its name may imply (though it's easier said than done).
- Extension English 2 is not as laborious as it's Mathematical equivalent...not until July and August anyway when the MW is due straight after the Trials.
- Often Extension English 2 is easier (and always a lot more enjoyable) than Ext1.
- Extension English 2 requires a lot of self-discipline and creative flair. A guy who came 3rd in Advanced was strictly advised against Ext 2 when he submitted a sample as his abilities as a composer weren't as good as his analytical skills. Some students who were famous for their science abilities were even dismissed for having a too 'technical' a writing style.

2. ABLE HUMANITIES STUDENTS SELECTING ONLY MATHS AND SCIENCE SUBJECTS
Another mistake many students make year after year. Before refusing to select any History or Social Science subjects in favour of more technical fields of study, please oh please consider your abilities in these areas (if you have them) as high marks in these subjects

2. TRY TO HAVE A MIXTURE OF SUBJECTS
There will be of course students who's subjects are all of the same type, like myself (I am doing humanities subjectsand only - 4U English, Modern History, Art, Geo...oh and er, 2U Maths). However:
- Try not to pick subjects that all require you to produce a major work. A general rule is to cap it at 2 Major Works. If not, your time management better be up to scratch in July and August of Year 12

ALSO
GEOGRAPHY
-Where there are SMALL CLASSES, seize the opportunity to study that subject. Small class of less than ten are often the case with languages, Art and Geography. It's almost like having a private tutor and the teacher can spend more time on each student.
- Geography is brilliant but underrated subject, a far cry from the Year 9/10 course.

HISTORY
- History can get boring and there is plenty of reading to do, but it's one of the few subjects that provide useful research skills for tertiary study. Ancient should be more interesting, Modern supposedly more useful at uni level (many topics are covered in several first year courses). It also provides great flexibility

LEGAL STUDIES
- Legal Studies is a great complement to History subjects. However you need not do Legal Studies to be a lawyer. It will 'acclimatise' you to the terminology but superior English skills are more important

ECO
- Before you do Economics, go through an economics textbook and think twice, even three times about it, especially if you're doing it because it supposedly sets you up for an eco/commerce degree and, subsequently, a rich career in business.
The general consensus amongst many students is that Eco is boring, tedious and laborious. Otherwise, cross your fingers for an incredible teacher. Not for the faint-hearted

LANGUAGES AND OPEN HIGH
-If you're passionate about it, pick a language if you can - even though it's a humanities subjects, there are usually no hefty essays to write or research projects to complete (unless you do extension), and the extra-curricular activities are great - you will however have your speaking exams during your trials
BUT
Often languages must be studied through distance education
If there is no class for your preferred language (as was the case with me and French) - think twice about the OPEN HIGH. Unless you have a really motivated companion, it can be very difficult to push yourself to keep up to date with the work in your 'study periods' rather than waste the time assigned and just bum around (I chose a Geo class over French by Distance - there's so much more support and it's easier and more enjoyable too).
Beg your friends to take up a language with you.

- PD is a lot more theoretical than one might assume it to be.

VISUAL ARTS
- Visual Arts is one of the most fulfilling subjects you can study - try not to let myths about low-scaling get you down. Just to be safe, do 12 units if doing VA then. Though the months of July and August are incredibly stressful for Art students, you've earned 75% of your marks come the end of trials when the works are due...

Any other comments feel free to post

Last edited:
P

pLuvia

bustinjustin said:
I realise that a thread about subject selection already exists but here is a more general guide...

1. CHOOSE A SUITABLE LEVEL OF...
MATHS
(Too) many students each year make misguided calculations (excuse the pun) on their mathematical abilities, more so than English. The day when myths about the great wonders the scaling in Extension Maths courses can do for one's marks cannot come any sooner.
Only select Ext 1 (and later, Ext 2) Maths if:

- You achieved a Band 5/6 and a mark of 80+ in Year 10 Advanced Maths (students at my school who scored less than 85% in Year 10 were strongly advised, nay even banned from extension maths and even the whole subject altogether)

- If you are of moderate ability (like myself) when it comes to maths and don't know , from personal experience it's best to start wit 2U Maths and stick with it (unless you really want to keep your options open). However,
3U Maths students finish most of the 2U course in Year 11. Whether this helps you or not is a different matter.

- Depending on your ability, generally 2U Maths has about an 1hour of homework after each lesson, 3U has about 3 hours (triple), 4U Maths well...let's just say many 4U students spend whole evenings on Maths
-Genera Maths is a hell of a lot easier than 2U Maths. The difficulty and workload increases exponentially with the Maths courses. General Maths is inadequate for uni preparation.
- All in all, only pick Maths (and Extension Maths) if you're performing well in it. If a certain uni course states that it is assumed knowledge and you're not really good at Maths(remember, prerequisties are long gone), then maybe its best to rethink your uni ambitions.

ENGLISH
- Unless you're scoring in the mid to low 70's or less in English, its best to opt for Advanced. Note that the Dux of Standard English in 2004 wasn't even awarded a Band 6 (I realise I'm perpetuating the whole 'dont do this because of scaling' idea, but this is a one off)
- Advanced is not all that difficult as its name may imply (though it's easier said than done).
- Extension English 2 is not as laborious as it's Mathematical equivalent...not until July and August anyway when the MW is due straight after the Trials.
- Often Extension English 2 is easier (and always a lot more enjoyable) than Ext1.
- Extension English 2 requires a lot of self-discipline and creative flair. A guy who came 3rd in Advanced was strictly advised against Ext 2 when he submitted a sample as his abilities as a composer weren't as good as his analytical skills. Some students who were famous for their science abilities were even dismissed for having a too 'technical' a writing style.

2. ABLE HUMANITIES STUDENTS SELECTING ONLY MATHS AND SCIENCE SUBJECTS
Another mistake many students make year after year. Before refusing to select any History or Social Science subjects in favour of more technical fields of study, please oh please consider your abilities in these areas (if you have them) as high marks in these subjects

2. TRY TO HAVE A MIXTURE OF SUBJECTS
There will be of course students who's subjects are all of the same type, like myself (I am doing humanities subjectsand only - 4U English, Modern History, Art, Geo...oh and er, 2U Maths). However:
- Try not to pick subjects that all require you to produce a major work. A general rule is to cap it at 2 Major Works. If not, your time management better be up to scratch in July and August of Year 12

ALSO
GEOGRAPHY
-Where there are SMALL CLASSES, seize the opportunity to study that subject. Small class of less than ten are often the case with languages, Art and Geography. It's almost like having a private tutor and the teacher can spend more time on each student.
- Geography is brilliant but underrated subject, a far cry from the Year 9/10 course.

HISTORY
- History can get boring and there is plenty of reading to do, but it's one of the few subjects that provide useful research skills for tertiary study. Ancient should be more interesting, Modern supposedly more useful at uni level (many topics are covered in several first year courses). It also provides great flexibility

LEGAL STUDIES
- Legal Studies is a great complement to History subjects. However you need not do Legal Studies to be a lawyer. It will 'acclimatise' you to the terminology but superior English skills are more important

ECO
- Before you do Economics, go through an economics textbook and think twice, even three times about it, especially if you're doing it because it supposedly sets you up for an eco/commerce degree and, subsequently, a rich career in business.
The general consensus amongst many students is that Eco is boring, tedious and laborious. Otherwise, cross your fingers for an incredible teacher. Not for the faint-hearted

LANGUAGES AND OPEN HIGH
-If you're passionate about it, pick a language if you can - even though it's a humanities subjects, there are usually no hefty essays to write or research projects to complete (unless you do extension), and the extra-curricular activities are great - you will however have your speaking exams during your trials
BUT
Often languages must be studied through distance education
If there is no class for your preferred language (as was the case with me and French) - think twice about the OPEN HIGH. Unless you have a really motivated companion, it can be very difficult to push yourself to keep up to date with the work in your 'study periods' rather than waste the time assigned and just bum around (I chose a Geo class over French by Distance - there's so much more support and it's easier and more enjoyable too).
Beg your friends to take up a language with you.

- PD is a lot more theoretical than one might assume it to be.

VISUAL ARTS
- Visual Arts is one of the most fulfilling subjects you can study - try not to let myths about low-scaling get you down. Just to be safe, do 12 units if doing VA then. Though the months of July and August are incredibly stressful for Art students, you've earned 75% of your marks come the end of trials when the works are due...

Any other comments feel free to post

ur school must be really slack not to let ppl do maths,, hahah... we never based SC results on our recommendation of maths...

gordo

Resident Jew
HSC
the sc maths was total bs
it should never be used as a guide

although in saying that, if u managed to do crap in sc maths you should never be doing hsc maths

smileybubbles

Untitled
HSC
bustinjustin said:

LEGAL STUDIES
Firstly, as a student that has dropped from 2U Mathematics to General, I'd like to say that General isn't as easy as it seems...Yeh ok it may be area and volume and simpler concepts, but the questions are more wordy and thus more tricky than those in 2U. General maths is not inadequate for uni preparation...If the prerequisite states 'any 2 units of mathematics', this includes general. Plus, there are bridging courses that can be taken to solve this problem.

Secondly, I totally agree with you about legal studies. As well as teaching you legal jargon, legal studies gives an insight into being an active citizen.

^CoSMic DoRiS^^

makes the woosh noises
HSC
i completely agree about the english thing, do advanced unless you're really genuinely crap at english, it's more fun and not that hard, really. i wish i did ext.2 but ext.1 is really good as well :D

the maths comments though...i would say (although it has already been stated that the SC is a crappy indicator of ability) that you should reconsider extension if you didnt get a band six. because really, the SC maths exam was quite easy, and if you cant get a band 6 in that, then perhaps extension maths isnt for you? i got 83 for SC maths and am now doing general maths which, by the way isnt inadequate for uni, it just depends what course you want to do.
i agree with what you said about rethinking uni choices in terms of maths ability though...i'll never understand why some people punish themselves in high school trying to do subjects they are bad at/hate/both for the sake of getting into a uni course that will encompass even more of those things because "that's what i want to do as a career". really, why would you want to become a scientist if you hate science? why be an architect or engineer if you cant stand maths? silly people.
and yes, small classes = good :D :D

drewgcn

postpantsism
HSC
^CoSMic DoRiS^^ said:
i agree with what you said about rethinking uni choices in terms of maths ability though...i'll never understand why some people punish themselves in high school trying to do subjects they are bad at/hate/both for the sake of getting into a uni course that will encompass even more of those things because "that's what i want to do as a career". really, why would you want to become a scientist if you hate science? why be an architect or engineer if you cant stand maths? silly people.
and yes, small classes = good :D :D
Because often in those courses, you only have to endure maths for 1/1.5 years, and then thats it.
An engineer who came back to our school told us that you need good maths to pass the first year of uni, since it gets difficult if you're not at least decent at 3U. Then he said how important it was for him to learn it, since he now uses maths purely to add up his paycheck at the end of each week.
Similar for my parents.

Trebla

Administrator
Administrator
HSC
Why the hell did you have to revive a four month old thread?

Anyway, my advice is:
CHOOSE THE SUBJECTS THAT YOU WANT - It doesn't matter what reason you choose it for, whether it would be scaling or you're good at it, just pick it. Don't listen to anyone who tells you what subjects YOU should to do. It is your career, your HSC and no one should be taking a slice out of your HSC. Should you pick the wrong subjects, then it would be your own fault and you will learn the lessons of your decision making for the future. If you pick what you think is right for you, then you would be likely to have the motivation to do well in it anyway. No one should influence your life decisions and this is no exception. People change. If someone is shit at junior Maths or English, it doesn't mean that they'll stay that way forever. People do change! So if you choose what you like, but you're really crap at its junior equivalent, then chances are you could well improve if you really like the course and have the motivation to do it.
Bottom line - DON'T LISTEN TO WHAT ANYONE SAYS, DO WHAT YOU THINK IS SUITABLE FOR YOU!!!

One of the reasons, I hate my school so much is that they have the power to tell you what subjects you should or shouldn't do. If a teacher tells someone they are not suited to a subject, then they cannot do that course no matter how much they like it. Teachers having control over which subjects you can or can't do is such BS, since everyone's opinion is very subjective.
Anyway, here is a rough idea of their selection criteria at my school:
ENGLISH
- If you absolutely love english to bits and you would like an english-based career then you could do Advanced. This is provided that you have evidence of participation in English co-curricular activities (e.g. debating, writing competition, reader's club etc) to show that you're interested. Also, you're report must be well above the grade average (i.e. top 30-40%) (That's a toughie for only 2 units of English).
- If you can get into Advanced, then it is completely your choice if you wish to do English Extension 1.
- To get into English Extension 2, you have to be the top in English Extension 1.
- If you hate english, okay with english, or if you don't plan to have an english-based career then do Standard.
- You may wish to do Fundamentals of English, if you do Standard.

MATHEMATICS
- If you did Standard Mathematics in Year 10, then you can only do General Mathematics or no maths at all. You have to be exceptionally good to get into 2 unit Maths.
- If you did Intermediate Mathematics in Year 10, then you can either do General Mathematics or 2 unit Mathematics. You have to be exceptionally good to get into Extension 1.
- If you did Advanced Mathematics in Year 10, then you can either do 2 unit Mathematics or Extension 1 Mathematics, provided that you get either A, B or C in your half yearly report (This is so easy to get into. More than half of the entire grade does Extension 1 Mathematics because our school loves Maths! You'd practically have to fail Maths to not get into Extension 1).
- To get into Mathematics Extension 2, you have to at least be above the grade average in Mathematics Extension 1.

For all the other subjects, it's all up to you.

Riviet

HSC
N/A
I agree with the exponential amount of homework with maths. If you do 2 unit, it's about 1-2 hours a night, 3 unit will probably be 2-3 or so hours, and 4 unit will be 3-5 hours at least. You have to work consistently and do all your homework and keep up with the course.

Trebla

Administrator
Administrator
HSC
Are you serious? 3-5 hours of Maths per night at least?
I'm only spending 2 hours AT MOST on 3/4 unit Maths per night; maybe because it will get harder by the time the course progresses.
It really depends on the person. If the person is quick at Maths, then it should take no more than 2-3 hours a night. If the person is slow, then it may take up to 5 hours depending on the nature of the exercises.

Riviet

HSC
N/A
Trebla said:
Are you serious? 3-5 hours of Maths per night at least?
I'm only spending 2 hours AT MOST on 3/4 unit Maths per night; maybe because it will get harder by the time the course progresses.
It really depends on the person. If the person is quick at Maths, then it should take no more than 2-3 hours a night. If the person is slow, then it may take up to 5 hours depending on the nature of the exercises.
Rofl, well i soughta exageratetd the 5 hour bit, probably 3 hours is more realistic. I spend about 2-3 hours per night not because i'm quick, i just understand the complex numbers topic pretty well and i'm doing as much as i can in that amount of time. Later on it'll probably be at least 3 hours, as the topics get much more intensive and time consuming. I hope i can survive it... :rolleyes:

klaw

HSC
how do you get motivated to do 2-3 hrs of ANY subject? atm, I couldn't even be bothered to do hw

drewgcn

postpantsism
HSC
Woah, thats gotta be a little exaggerated.
I didn't do ext1 maths homework last year, and I wouldnt recommend that to anyone unless you like failing.
Doing around 5 hours a week now though, which has to be sufficient (Of course you'd up that with past papers when exams come round, but how many people do you think do 3 hours a night?)

YBK

w00t! custom status!! :D
HSC
lol, wtf

3 - 5 hrs maths per night?
and 1 hr for 2 unit.. errr!!!!

our teacher said 20 minutes per unit minimum.. which equates to 1 hour 20 minutes for 4 unit maths... Currently i'm doing around 1 hour or less per night ... will start 4 unit next week.. i'd say.. maybe 2 hours per night.

5 hrs is crazy! You wont have time for anything else!

And the getting above 85% for SC is BS! It was an easy test, but without practice it's easy to get an 84 *like me lol* That by no means says if you are good at maths or not! What if you were a guy who bludged all through years 7-10 and still managed to be in the advanced class, you surely are capable to do whatever maths you like! All it takes is consistant work!!!

SC = lame
even if you get band 6 for maths in that it still is not an indicator of how good you are since it is soooo easy to achieve that mark if you do a couple of past papers... oh yeah, and since when does multi choice come for maths... there was like 50.. omg, it was like a mindmaze.. i almost threw up at how messed up it was.. lol!

P

pLuvia

I do about 5 - 8 hours a week on maths including 4unit and 3unit

Riviet

HSC
N/A
kadlil said:
I do about 5 - 8 hours a week on maths including 4unit and 3unit
Hehe, same here. :D
klaw said:
how do you get motivated to do 2-3 hrs of ANY subject? atm, I couldn't even be bothered to do hw
I enjoy the subject, therefore i am willing to spend as much time as i need on it :p

klaw

HSC
YBK said:
lol, wtf

3 - 5 hrs maths per night?
and 1 hr for 2 unit.. errr!!!!

our teacher said 20 minutes per unit minimum.. which equates to 1 hour 20 minutes for 4 unit maths... Currently i'm doing around 1 hour or less per night ... will start 4 unit next week.. i'd say.. maybe 2 hours per night.

5 hrs is crazy! You wont have time for anything else!

And the getting above 85% for SC is BS! It was an easy test, but without practice it's easy to get an 84 *like me lol* That by no means says if you are good at maths or not! What if you were a guy who bludged all through years 7-10 and still managed to be in the advanced class, you surely are capable to do whatever maths you like! All it takes is consistant work!!!

SC = lame
even if you get band 6 for maths in that it still is not an indicator of how good you are since it is soooo easy to achieve that mark if you do a couple of past papers... oh yeah, and since when does multi choice come for maths... there was like 50.. omg, it was like a mindmaze.. i almost threw up at how messed up it was.. lol!
hahahaha I got band 5 for maths in SC... you know why? coz of those BS multiple choice Qs. Choose 2 or more answers wtf... whoever wrote the exam should be shot. Thinking it was ordinary multiple choice I went and selected one answer for all of them. Didn't bother reading the instructions as I thought they were gonna be a waste of time (which most instructions in exams are, ESPECIALLY multiple choice). Lost 10 marks for those stupid multi choice Qs GRRRRRR GRRRRRRRRRRRR GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR

mitsui

мιтэuι
HSC
lolz. now that is funni >o<
alli remmbered was sleeping during all the exams =\

hmm i am totally devoted to maths now. no time for other subjects
(not that i spend more than 2hrs on study each nite. =P_)

drewgcn

postpantsism
HSC
YBK, whenever I see you, it reminds me of that thing they have on all zippers, YKK.

Anyway, thats pretty crazy that you got 84 for SC and now are of ext2 standard.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)