Subject Selection Help (URGENT) (1 Viewer)

hsienerddd345

HSC
I know people always say "scaling doesn't matter" but honestly looking at my choices I'm kinda having second thoughts.

So far I have decided on:

Advanced English

Studies of Religion 2

Mathematics Standard 2

Ancient History

Legal Studies

Society & Culture

Could I even get past 90 with these subjects?? I was planning on either keeping these units til year 12 or dropping Society and Culture after year 11 (because I want to do extension history).

I want to study law after high school but I'm scared my ATAR is gonna be 70 or 80 (maybe even 40). I'm especially worried about Standard 2 Maths and Society & Culture which don't scale too well along with Ancient History and Legal Studies. I'm also just worried that even if I do well my ATAR will still be crap. I have the passion and interest for these subjects but kind of question whether my efforts will be enough in the end. All my friends have subjects that scale very well - 3 unit maths, sciences (bio and chem), extension english (kinda failed maths and science) while I have just done humanities subjects. The best scaling subjects out of all my choices are probably SOR2 and Advanced English.

Do you think its possible to do well with a majority of your units being HSIE subjects?

idkkdi

HSC
I know people always say "scaling doesn't matter" but honestly looking at my choices I'm kinda having second thoughts.

Advanced English

Studies of Religion 2

Mathematics Standard 2

Ancient History

Legal Studies

Society & Culture

Could I even get past 90 with these subjects?? I was planning on either keeping these units til year 12 or dropping Society and Culture after year 11 (because I want to do extension history).

I want to study law after high school but I'm scared my ATAR is gonna be 70 or 80 (maybe even 40). I'm especially worried about Standard 2 Maths and Society & Culture which don't scale too well along with Ancient History and Legal Studies. I'm also just worried that even if I do well my ATAR will still be crap. I have the passion and interest for these subjects but kind of question whether my efforts will be enough in the end. All my friends have subjects that scale very well - 3 unit maths, sciences (bio and chem), extension english (kinda failed maths and science) while I have just done humanities subjects. The best scaling subjects out of all my choices are probably SOR2 and Advanced English.

Do you think its possible to do well with a majority of your units being HSIE subjects?
100 in each subject gets you a 99.95.
90 in each subject gets you a 94.60.
85 in each subject gets you a 86.25.
80 in each subject gets you a 76.15.

Note, these are the HSC marks. The raw marks in the external exams for these HSC marks, rawmarks.info

More on the scaling, aligning and moderating process can be found on this forum or elsewhere, I am not bothered to explain it.

AKONS

HSC
G'day hsienerddd345

I perfectly understand your worries about scaling. When I was choosing my subjects I had the same thoughts, especially since I chose a low scaling subject like business studies.

I'm going to be completely honest, scaling can influence what ATAR you get. But that doesn't mean you should just choose subjects that scale the highest. If you do well in a subject with low scaling it's better than doing very poorly in a subject that is high scaling. By choosing the subjects you like the most or that you are the best at, you will likely enjoy them more and usually you tend to do better in them which can benefit your ATAR more than just choosing a high scaling subject.

TLDR Choose the subjects you do well in and that play to your strengths or even the subjects you love the most as you will be more inclined to study for them (while making your prelim and hsc more enjoyable).

Best of Luck mate! Hope this helps :)

Velocifire

Critical Hit
HSC
100 in each subject gets you a 99.95.
90 in each subject gets you a 94.60.
85 in each subject gets you a 86.25.
80 in each subject gets you a 76.15.

Note, these are the HSC marks. The raw marks in the external exams for these HSC marks, rawmarks.info

More on the scaling, aligning and moderating process can be found on this forum or elsewhere, I am not bothered to explain it.
i put 85 for all my subjects on ninja (42 for any ext), they said I would get 90.80

Last edited:

yanujw

HSC
I think a bigger concern than the scaling is the fact that you chose maths standard. Bear in mind that many unis and degrees will require a minimum of maths advanced, and so if you've been thinking about possible careers or degrees in the future, be aware of what level of maths is necessary (I recommend taking a higher level, since you can always drop down)

hsienerddd345

HSC
I think a bigger concern than the scaling is the fact that you chose maths standard. Bear in mind that many unis and degrees will require a minimum of maths advanced, and so if you've been thinking about possible careers or degrees in the future, be aware of what level of maths is necessary (I recommend taking a higher level, since you can always drop down)
The problem is in my school (probably in most schools) they don't just let you do advanced maths because you want to do it. I had this letter sent home about what level of religion, english and maths the school recommends. Lone and behold I was recommended to do Standard 2 Maths.

Yes I'd like to do advanced maths but I think its too late for me now even if I did really well in my semester 2 exams. My curriculum co-ordinator was literally like: after MONTHS of deciding these "recommendations" were what we thought truly reflected your aptitude for certain subjects (based the decisions off of 7-10 reports, NAPLAN, all well testing etc) so I guess you could say I'm kinda forked. If I was able to do advanced maths I definitely would have chosen it but sadly my crappy report and mediocre NAPLAN results have ruined that opportunity. Not only that it's practically IMPOSSIBLE to move up so I'm not even gonna let that idea cross my mind. I know there is sorta no hope for me getting into advanced maths so at the moment I'll just have to work with what I've got.

hsienerddd345

HSC
The problem is in my school (probably in many schools) they don't just let you do advanced maths because you want to do it. I had this letter sent home about what level of religion, english and maths the school recommends. Lone and behold I was recommended to do Standard 2 Maths.

Yes I'd like to do advanced maths but I think its too late for me now even if I did really well in my semester 2 exams. My curriculum co-ordinator was literally like: after MONTHS of deciding these "recommendations" were what we thought truly reflected your aptitude for certain subjects (based the decisions off of 7-10 reports, NAPLAN, all well testing etc) so I guess you could say I'm kinda forked. If I was able to do advanced maths I definitely would have chosen it but sadly my crappy report and mediocre NAPLAN results have ruined that opportunity. Not only that it's practically IMPOSSIBLE to move up so I'm not even gonna let that idea cross my mind. I know there is sorta no hope for me getting into advanced maths so at the moment I'll just have to work with what I've got.
The problem is in my school (probably in most schools) they don't just let you do advanced maths because you want to do it. I had this letter sent home about what level of religion, english and maths the school recommends. Lone and behold I was recommended to do Standard 2 Maths.

Yes I could literally beg the Curriculum or Maths Co-ordinator to let me do advanced maths or "prove" myself but I don't think they'll ever change their minds. What's done is done and so now I kind of don't have a choice. I can't just tell them: Hey you know I failed my past exams because I chose not to study but I promise to work extra hard next year! OR I can improve just give me a chance!

That just won't cut it. I think the most I can do now is to just deal with the consequences of my laziness + do really well in standard & pray for the best because there is no turning back time now.

Last edited:

hsienerddd345

HSC
But on a serious note I'm looking to do an Arts/Law Degree. Would that need advanced maths??

quickoats

HSC
But on a serious note I'm looking to do an Arts/Law Degree. Would that need advanced maths??
It depends on what major you want to do in your arts degree. If it's either economics or econometrics, you'd need advanced maths, but otherwise, you should be fine without it.

hsienerddd345

HSC
It depends on what major you want to do in your arts degree. If it's either economics or econometrics, you'd need advanced maths, but otherwise, you should be fine without it.
Well I guess I'm fine then since I don't want to do economics or econometrics...looking to do culture studies or criminology or even anthropology.

ADHERETOLOGIC

HSC
You can get past 90 but since you don't have any ext. subjects, there's nothing that'll boost you up too far, but as long as you get good results you can get over 90.

hsienerddd345

HSC

Advanced English

Studies of Religion 2

Mathematics Standard 2

Ancient History

Legal Studies

Society & Culture

Actually changed my subjects to:

Advanced English

Studies of Religion 2

Advanced Mathematics (School is still deciding whether I am able to do this subject and am praying that I can do it)

Economics

Legal Studies

Ancient History

I think I am much more happier and satisfied with my subjects now. What do you guys think?

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)