Subject Selection HELP!!!! (1 Viewer)

EggplantLord

HSC
I am currently in yr10 and i recently submitted my subject selections for next year. Of the subjects i chose 3 are modern history, chemistry and economics. However for some reason i just get this feeling that i should have chosen legal studies and i really don't want to one day regret making the wrong decision. In science i am generally going well for science especially with regards to chemistry, however i am just not completely committed/interested in it. With regards to modern history i am interested in history and would be fine with it as a subject. Finally, for economics i am generally strong with regards to commerce in my school and thus i chose economics. Yet for some reason, i just can't forget about legal studies for some reason and i just get this gut feeling to go with it. However, despite people constantly telling me scaling isn't what the HSC is all about and i need to chose the subjects i want, i just don't know if it's too late to change and pick up legal studies, which is leading to me panicking pretty badly. If i was to choose legal studies i would have to drop one subject, i would like to do chemistry and economics as they have high scaling and i am ok with doing both subjects, and i would also like to do modern history as i am interested in it. Could i please have some advice on as to what to do?

Thank you in advance

AppleTea

HSC
Don't base your choices simply on scaling, If you do poor in a subject scaling won't really help you there. However you shouldn't be panicking you can still continue with your choices and if any are too hard maybe switch to legal studies. Some boys in my year changed at the end of term 1 and were able to catch up with the syllabus fairly easy.

andrew12678

HSC
Although you should pick subjects that you excel in, you should always keep scaling in mind especially if you areequally good at two subjects and intend to choose one over the other

blackbird_14

HSC
As apple tea said above, choose whatever you like. I can tell you now- if you don't apply yourself to chemistry, esp. Moles, you won't be able to do about half the course. Even though chemistry is one of the higher scaling subjects of the HSC, if you don't do well in it, scaling will have no effect.

Although schools ask for subject selections to be done by set date, you can change your subject choices anytime before the end of year 10. Thank god that what it's like at my school cause I swapped ancient history to geography and I haven't regretted a thing.

So if you decide chemistry isn't for you, then change to legal.

Fiction

HSC
I would pick up Legal. As someone who was denied the opportunity to do a subject that I really enjoyed in junior school (history), I would highly recommend you to pick legal studies. Speaking from personal experience, you really do better in classes which you do enjoy.

Besides, if you do badly in a subject, no amount of scaling will bring it up. Think about it, you are spending at least 200+ hours on any one subject - and that's only at school, over your senior years. Add in the hours for independent studying and the number really speaks for itself. There's also something wrong with being not committed to any subject - that's really not the attitude you should be looking at if you want to do well (assuming you are).

So, if you do pick legal, I would drop chemistry tbh. Although prelim chemistry is nothing like HSC - HSC is more rote while Prelim is more conceptual base, HSC chemistry does draw on prelim. And if you're not committed to learning it, then that may affect your overall mark.

Btw, eggplant and apple?:p That's so cute haha

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)