(subject selection) is it too much for workload? (1 Viewer)

mzkashi

HSC
I'm concerned the subjects I pick will be too high of workload during y11, y12. anyone take these that can give some advice? what to expect and where is more important to study.
- english adv
- maths adv
- econ
- legal study (dropping)
- software eng
- enterprise comp
lol i am SO stressed for next year

dav53521

HSC
There will defiantly be a somewhat intense workload in year 12 as from the looks of it Software Engineering and Enterprise Computing will have major works. However, it is very feasible to complete both major works and do well but you'll need to learn how to manage your time well as major works cannot be left to the last minute and do typically take up a decent chunk of time.

While i'm not too sure what'll be taught in software engineering I would assume that learning the fundamentals of programming, OOP and how to debug will be very useful as it looks like those will be taught in the prelim years and having a grip on these concepts can be quite useful especially if your teacher doesn't teach this stuff properly.

sheppy123

HSC
These are great subjects just keep in mind that economics is a subject that A LOT of people want to drop after year 11. It's also pretty risky for you to choose something like legal studies to meet the 12 unit requirement (which you're already planning to drop?). Say you drop legal and then you end up hating economics, then you're screwed. I'd suggest replacing legal studies with something you may actually enjoy just so you have that 2 unit buffer going into year 11 and see which subjects you like and don't like.

mzkashi

HSC
These are great subjects just keep in mind that economics is a subject that A LOT of people want to drop after year 11. It's also pretty risky for you to choose something like legal studies to meet the 12 unit requirement (which you're already planning to drop?). Say you drop legal and then you end up hating economics, then you're screwed. I'd suggest replacing legal studies with something you may actually enjoy just so you have that 2 unit buffer going into year 11 and see which subjects you like and don't like.
yeah! for the past 3 years, I am taking commerce/finance electives, and enjoying them thus far. so I hope the knowledge will carry enough for me to feel less workload.
I considered a change in subjects as my school is VERY lenient, but I would agree that legal studies will not be the most enjoyable for me.

mzkashi

HSC
There will defiantly be a somewhat intense workload in year 12 as from the looks of it Software Engineering and Enterprise Computing will have major works. However, it is very feasible to complete both major works and do well but you'll need to learn how to manage your time well as major works cannot be left to the last minute and do typically take up a decent chunk of time.

While i'm not too sure what'll be taught in software engineering I would assume that learning the fundamentals of programming, OOP and how to debug will be very useful as it looks like those will be taught in the prelim years and having a grip on these concepts can be quite useful especially if your teacher doesn't teach this stuff properly.
you're correct, I just can't find details on ent computing major work
unfortunately, I have less access to teaching and will likely take distanced education course (depending on class numbers)
so it may become a problem. but nothing stops me from utilising google (lol)
I believe 2025 HSC will have the hardest time adjusting for seng/enterprise :( it's unfortunate

HSC
you're correct, I just can't find details on ent computing major work
unfortunately, I have less access to teaching and will likely take distanced education course (depending on class numbers)
so it may become a problem. but nothing stops me from utilising google (lol)
I believe 2025 HSC will have the hardest time adjusting for seng/enterprise :( it's unfortunate
If you're worried about the New Syllabi with Software and Enterprise, have you considered doing just one? That way you could potentially lower the stress in that regard.

ZakaryJayNicholls

HSC
Uni Grad
I'm concerned the subjects I pick will be too high of workload during y11, y12. anyone take these that can give some advice? what to expect and where is more important to study.
- english adv
- maths adv
- econ
- legal study (dropping)
- software eng
- enterprise comp
- english adv HARD
- maths adv HARD
- econ HARD
- legal study (dropping) HARD
- software eng LIKELY HARD
- enterprise comp LIKELY HARD

Hard subjects tend to require something in the order of ~1+ hour per day in order to do well, in general if you're aiming for band 5/6.

If you wish to do well without having to overexert yourself, it might be with swapping 2 or 3 of these subjects with easier subjects.

Consider instead:

- english adv HARD
- maths adv HARD
- econ HARD
- Business studies MEDIUM
- software eng LIKELY HARD
- Design Technology EASY

jilly12

HSC
- english adv
- maths adv
- econ
- legal study (dropping)
- software eng
- enterprise comp
chose software eng too, lets hope it isn't too stressful

HSC
I am also planning to do software engineering and enterprise computing, since im doing accelerated ipt its been recommended to me. Based on what I've been told, enterprise computing will be focused on data science, cyber security & network systems as well as coding. Software will be more about programming and stuff so you must have prior experience or do coding classes to keep up to date unlike enterprise which will have basic coding such as python. The main issue involved with these studies is that they're risky, no past papers to rely on or anything meaning if you have a bad teacher you won't get a great mark since these are kind of practical subjects, btw both subjects have major projects which will be around the same time so on top of that you shouldn't do other content heavy subjects such as legal (ns about eco) Only do these subjects if you want to go into something IT or engineering related, if not it'll be completely useless.
Why would you have to do enterprise next year if you are already accelerating IPT? Do you have to repeat the course?

HSC
no lol, they're completely different subjects and I'm pretty sure NESA has approved accelerated ipt students to do enterprise computing even though they will be a little similar. There is one crossover in yr12 which doesn't give a huge advantage + they probably want more students to do enterprise so I'm not really sure.
So are you dropping ACC IPT? Doing both Enterprise and IPT?

dav53521

HSC
Software will be more about programming and stuff so you must have prior experience or do coding classes to keep up to date unlike enterprise which will have basic coding such as python
Software expects student to know how to program in python, so I don't think enterprise computing will have more basic coding because it's in python.

ZakaryJayNicholls

HSC
Uni Grad
from the forms handed out on my school it says Seng "students will be exposed to a variety of programming languages, including Python, C, C#, C++, JavaScript and so on." For enterprise it's aimed to cater all students, so you will be guided through everything including python which is probably the only coding language that'll be learnt, since it's more about data visualisation and cybersecurity. Obvs both will be hard, but I do think software engineering will be a lot more difficult.
SENG is primarily focused on the coding and implementation - starting to learn the details of becoming a professional software developer, Enterprise (which also could have been called Business Analytics or Data Science) is focused on the bits of computing/management used in businesses - this course will be aimed at students perusing careers as IT professionals or Business Analysts.

LookingGood2

HSC
from the forms handed out on my school it says Seng "students will be exposed to a variety of programming languages, including Python, C, C#, C++, JavaScript and so on." For enterprise it's aimed to cater all students, so you will be guided through everything including python which is probably the only coding language that'll be learnt, since it's more about data visualisation and cybersecurity. Obvs both will be hard, but I do think software engineering will be a lot more difficult.
IPT has been easier than SDD, but too early to say if the new Software Engineering will be more difficult than new Enterprise Computing. I'd guess at the moment, NESA would've made them similarly challenging.

Have you looked at the NESA Course Specification for Software Engineering. Python programming is on the last page of that. There are no other programming languages mentioned in the course specification. However, for the Year 12, there's 30 hours of programming for the web. Highly likely Javascript could be part of it, along with HTML and CSS.

Can't see the value of C, C#, and C++ being taught to students as that's too many programming language to get any real depth with. Unless there's expectation about contrasting programming languages, but in my cursory glance I hadn't seen any mention about any need for that it in the Course Specification.

Last edited:

LookingGood2

HSC
SENG is primarily focused on the coding and implementation - starting to learn the details of becoming a professional software developer, Enterprise (which also could have been called Business Analytics or Data Science) is focused on the bits of computing/management used in businesses - this course will be aimed at students perusing careers as IT professionals or Business Analysts.
Good points about how each of the courses have content focused on particular parths in IT. However, I doubt either course by themselves is enough to become either a professional software developer or professional data or business analyst right after HSC. I'd expect students on the path to seek a career in either would at least need to do some TAFE units like at Cert IV in Information Technology. The TAFE courses are focused on skills directly applicable to the employment market.

In my experience, with doing a beginning six-month/two-term SQL course at TAFE is that the the six month course seems far greater than done for either of Enterprise Computing or Software Engineering relative to the course specifications for the two subjects. And there's then a further SQL course I could do as well, as well as Industry/vendor certification with my interest to get into the field as either a junior Data Analyst or junior DBA.

And around about 2026 I might look to tutor in the subjects - Enterprise and Software.

Last edited:

LookingGood2

HSC
Software expects student to know how to program in python, so I don't think enterprise computing will have more basic coding because it's in python.
Python is much nicer/easy programming language good for NESA to mention it explicitly in the Course specfication, rather than letting school randomnly figure out what a good programming language is.

The NESA Enterprise Computing course specification has no mention about programming at all. There is meant to be 30 hours (indicative) for Data Science for Year 12 Enterprise Computing, but I expect that would be involving Microsoft Excel (as a spreadsheet) and SQL rather any work with Python.

In the job market through, any person working as a Data Analyst in the Data Science field wouldn't be much in demand if they didn't know enough Python to work with data.

LookingGood2

HSC
It's not on the course specification but it says it on the information outline sheets given out from my school. I’m pretty sure if my school is doing it then other schools most likely will be doing it… (my school isn’t that great) My teacher said that in a meeting between a few NSW TAS teachers, they tested and evaluated a bunch of programs they found suitable for yr12 students. Since it’s a new course I’m pretty sure it will be tested on the class of ‘25, depending on the outcomes other years below might/might not do the same coding languages. I think they will teach C, C#, python, html and java can’t know for certain till next year though.
It's scary to think they'd expose students to all of C, C#, and Java, as well as Python, HTML (with CSS). C# and Java to do in depth other than the basic language constructs will take a while... I've read somewhere a while ago, that automation/robotics can be done with C#, but it'd be more of waste to teach yet another language when it could be Python.

I feel your school is experimenting, and teachers are still in the old course/SDD mindset.

Victoria have similar structured VCE/Year 12 courses to the new Enterprise Computing and Software Engineering, for about three years, but their/VCE course didn't spell out about Python in the Course specification (for Software Engineering). Wonder if the NSW teachers, were like groping in the dark, trying to pick up on ideas from the VCE course. The VCE courses also had a common Year 11 (Applied Computing), and only then split into two streams for Year 12 as Data Analytics and Software Development. And of course the VCE students after the common Year 11 of Applied Computing could still do both streams for VCE.

Regardless, you'll find out in next year, and 2025 how it really is, and your school still has one whole year (all of 2024) to plan out and prepare for the Year 12 course in 2025. Like to hear at the time, and after HSC how it was for you.

Last edited:
Reactions: oml

dav53521

HSC
I think they might be using Java/C# to protentially better show some OOP concepts as Python's oop can be an absolute nightmare to work with at times. Also as those langauges do require you to declare types at variable/method initialisation it could also help with teaching the differences between data types.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)