Subject Selection (1 Viewer)

Japadict

HSC
Hi everyone. I wasn't sure exactly where to put this, but subce it is somewhat to do with this section, I put it here.

Next week in my school we are choosing subjects to be done in year 11. I'm very confused though I have been thinking about for a few months now. I already do an accelerated course in IPT so I'm doing Year 11 IPT in Year 10.

A couple of things to consider:
- I'm considering dropping IPT based on my results from the mid course exams.
- I am aiming for a course in Commerce at University of Sydney which generally requires 95-97 UAI.

Now, I've worked out most of what I want to do, but I want to see if anyone has anything to say about it. These are my current planned choice in subjects:

English (Advanced) - 2U
Mathematics (Advanced) - 2U
Mathematics Extension 1 - 1U
Physics - 2U
Chemistry - 2U
IPT - 2U
For a total of 11 units.

If I decide to drop IPT I am going to do Business Studies.

I know I've pretty much worked everything out here, but I have a few requests/questions.

First off I would like to ask if anyone sees anything wrong with this plan. Secondly, since I equally don't mind doing most of these subjects, I am curious as to the scaling each subject has. Finally, any extra input which can help my situation which I have not asked for would be appreciated.

Thanks lots for your time, you guys are great.

Last edited:

Japadict

HSC
Even if I get really good in it?

edit: Oops didnt see f3nr15's post. Could you possibly give me an idea how well I would need to do?

Since Mathematics is worth 2 units I'll edit my first post. Now another question is to ask if doing IPT next year as well as doing Business studies for a total of 13 units is going to make it easier to get the UAI I require or would you recommend I simply go for 11 units and try my hardest.

Last edited:
HSC
"mathematics" is worth two units, extension one maths is worth one unit but its sometimes called three unit math.

scaling doesn't matter if you go well in any subject.

if you want to do commerce at uni, why not pick up economics or business studies, while you still can?

Japadict

HSC
watatank said:
if you want to do commerce at uni, why not pick up economics or business studies, while you still can?
What do you mean 'while you still can'? I suppose it will be a better decision to pick up the 13 units and drop 2 of them if the pressures too hard.

HSC
Japadict said:
Even if I get really good in it?

edit: Oops didnt see f3nr15's post. Could you possibly give me an idea how well I would need to do?

Since Mathematics is worth 2 units I'll edit my first post. Now another question is to ask if doing IPT next year as well as doing Business studies for a total of 13 units is going to make it easier to get the UAI I require or would you recommend I simply go for 11 units and try my hardest.
look seriously if youre having as much doubts about ipt as you seem to have right now, just drop it now. don't worry about scaling, if you go well it doesn't matter. btw in ipt im guessing you need about 75+, perhaps 80+ to not be affected by scaling. also i recommend you pick up business studies since you want to do commerce in uni. and keep ipt, if you find it too hard you can drop it later.

HSC
Japadict said:
What do you mean 'while you still can'? I suppose it will be a better decision to pick up the 13 units and drop 2 of them if the pressures too hard.
while you still can..as in before you start year 11. if you dont pick it, you may be halfway through year 11, sitting in the classroom wondering to yourself why you didn't pick up business studies!

Japadict

HSC
Ok... one more question, thanks for the advice so far. UAI is calculated based on the rank in the state, right? So just by scoring 90% in the IPT exam would not necessarily mean I get 90 UAI in IPT? Or would I only have to score less than 90%. Thanks again for the advice, pretty much worked it out now except that final missing piece.

watatank said:
while you still can..as in before you start year 11. if you dont pick it, you may be halfway through year 11, sitting in the classroom wondering to yourself why you didn't pick up business studies!
Ah okay well now I'm most likely picking up Business Studies too then.

HSC
eh wat?

uai IS a rank. your overall performance in the hsc. your hsc mark in each subject is half school marks half exam mark. if you get 90% in ipt you will get somewhere around 90 for that subject.

best advice i can give you is pick what you are interested and what your strengths are. if you are going for 95 or so you must be pretty smart, so just go well in everything and the rest will take care of itself :).

Japadict

HSC
watatank said:
best advice i can give you is pick what you are interested and what your strengths are. if you are going for 95 or so you must be pretty smart, so just go well in everything and the rest will take care of itself :).
My dilemna here is that most things I apply myself in I tend to get over 90% in, and I don't really enjoy any subject XD.

Well thanks for everything, I'm no longer confused and can feel confident choosing those subjects next year :D

Japadict

HSC
Okay, another question. After reading a 2006 UAI booklet online, I'm under the impression that UAI is based on your percentile ranking. Therefore, the common misconception is that doing Standard English rather than Advanced can boost your UAI because you are beating all the people who can't do well. Why is this a common misconception - I don't understand why this isn't true?

williamc

HSC
Japadict said:
Okay, another question. After reading a 2006 UAI booklet online, I'm under the impression that UAI is based on your percentile ranking. Therefore, the common misconception is that doing Standard English rather than Advanced can boost your UAI because you are beating all the people who can't do well. Why is this a common misconception - I don't understand why this isn't true?
There isnt a misconception that by doing standard english, your better off. All the smart or more capable students do advanced usually becuase they are told to, and think it is a higher scaling subject, when in reality it scales the same. So therefore if you are a good enough student you would be able to get 95+ in standard. Although, most uni's need or assume advanced english as a minimum.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)