Subject selections for year 11 (1 Viewer)

greeneggsandlamb

HSC
I'm currently choosing subjects for year 11, and subsequently year 12. If I need an atar of 90+ to get into Psychology, are psychology, philosophy, general maths, english lit studies, and art for 1 semester good choices? or should I swap philosophy and art (both semester subjects) for biology (which will be a full year) or another science bc it'll scale better?

jimmysmith560

Le Phénix Trilingue
HSC
Uni Grad
As far as I am aware, a high ATAR is possible with any subject combination in the SACE just as it is in the HSC. Based on this, as long as you perform favourably across your subjects throughout Stage 1 and Stage 2, you will be able to achieve your ATAR goal. This also means that you should primarily consider subjects that you are interested in (including any relevance to your studies beyond the SACE) and strongly believe that you can perform well in, as opposed to solely considering high-scaling subjects. You are considering Psychology which, while not treated as a prerequisite or assumed knowledge for psychology degrees at South Australian universities, is a relevant subject. If you are contemplating a natural science subject (such as Biology), you should consider whether you are interested in its content. You may also wish to consider your performance if you have previously studied biology as an indication of your performance potential in SACE Biology.

With your current subject combination, it seems that you can attain a 90+ ATAR with A- grades across your subjects. The same is true with Biology, although you may be able to achieve a 90+ ATAR with a B in Biology. Of course, you should do your utmost to perform at the highest possible standard, regardless of the subjects that you end up taking.

I hope this helps! 😄

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)