Subject Selections - Legal Studies or PDHPE or Economics (1 Viewer)

frankie98

HSC
I am in year 10 at the moment, and we are choosing our subjects for year 11 and 12 this week. My ATAR aim is 92+
I have decieded on the following subjects:

Mathematics
Mathematics ex 1
Adv English
Biology
SOR 1

....and 2 of the following....

Legal Studies OR Pdhpe OR Economics

I don't like PE or PASS now and I don't mind commerce but I am the kind of person to work hard in every subject no matter how much I hate it. At my schoool an average of 5/30 students gets a band six result in PDHPE and Legal Studies each year, but there has not been a single band six result in economics over the past 10 years.

Am I better off doing well in PDHPE and Legal, or doing average/standard in Economics?
Which subject/s are the least boring?

Thankyou so much in advance, I really really appreciate it!

RivalryofTroll

Sleep Deprived Entity
HSC
Uni Grad
Priorities when looking at subjects for selection:
1. Interest - this is the most important consideration. However, if you like all subjects equally then you look at priority 2.
2. Strength - if you happen to be equally strong at all the subjects, then you should look at priority 3.
3. Scaling/Aligning - for the sake of ATAR maximisation.
4. Relevance to future university degree?

Previous results by the school shouldn't affect your decision tbh. You could end up being the first band 6 for Economics in your school for the first time in over a decade.

You can get 92+ ATAR with any of those subjects so priority 3 shouldn't be too much of a factor.

Examine

same
HSC
If you actually are interested in the legal system and different avenues of law (family, consumers, human rights, etc) then pick Legal Studies. It's an easy subject to get a band 6 in since the exam is quite limited in terms of what they can ask (for example for multiple choice it's limited to crime/HR).

Economics is a pretty content heavy subject so if you go into it with the mentality to slack off you'll be crushed. However a lot of people do find it to be an interesting subject and you actually do gain a general understanding about how Australia's economy works as well as the global economy.

Idk much about PE

HSC
All 3 are heavy content based subjects. Choose wisely and pick the subject you like

Smooth Operator

HSC
Speaking from current experience Legal is gr9.
Economics is gr9.

That being said the degree of difficulty is a bit higher for economics. I find both subjects great in their own rights and I honestly could not tell you which one is better.
If nobody has ever received a band 6 for economics in 10 years at your school and you want one then obviously you'll really want to supplement your class notes greatly with your own on the syllabus dot points to achieve well, and get your script writing good from the start.
Basically pick the one you're interested in the most. Legal is generally considered easier to get a band 6 in than economics.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)