Subject Selections Yr11 (1 Viewer)

joe mama

HSC
Hi! I'm new here I was wondering if anyone could help me out with my subjects for next year.
So currently I'm in year 10, going to select my subjects soon.

Here is what I'm leaning towards:
Ext 1. Eng and Maths (6u)
Japanese Continuers (2u) --> memory based which is easy for me
Biology (2u) --> memory based which is easy for me

That leaves me with 2 units left, but I can't decide between chemistry or physics. Tbh I find both interesting and neither one of them seems easier than the other. I asked my senior friends for advice and told tell me that physics is more math based but only simple maths like formula rearranging and stuff, yet it's more difficult than chemistry- is this true? When I look at the chemistry textbooks for y11 though, it looks so difficult, a bit more than physics tbh. I would choose chemistry because everyone says chem is easier than phys but I have a gut feeling about picking physics idk why hahaha >.< but I'm afraid I'll set myself up for failure with my instincts. I'll get tutored for whichever science I end up picking though

So, what do you guys think? Chemistry or physics? Or should I trial both at the start of year 11 for a few weeks, giving me 14units (but I'm afraid this might be an overload of content & I don't even know if my school will allow it, I attend a selective school), and then I could drop the science that I dislike? (12 units)
Thank you!

ExtremelyBoredUser

Bored Uni Student
HSC
If you're planning of doing maths ext 2, physics might be better in terms of complementary subject rather than chem. There's a fair share of physics-ish topics within Mathematics Advanced+ courses. You will first encounter it in Maths Adv in the form of motion and then projectile motion in maths ext 1 and finally Mechanics which includes SHM, 3D Projectile Motion, Resisted Motion and more.

Physics gives you the opportunity to conceptualise these phenomenon early on with Kinematics and Dynamics and get used to using Newton's laws such as F=ma which you will use a lot in mechanics. This is really helpful because it saves the time required in learning the basic physics and gives you a better insight when doing questions such as drawing freebody diagrams. Physics is hard not for its maths but more of its combination of qualitative and quantitative analysis, I've enjoyed it a lot though and its a no brainer if you're going to do Ext 1 or 2 because you'd probably be capable to understand all the maths required meaning you'll have way easier time than those individuals who are coming in with subminimal math skills. You will be punished in some harder questions in dynamics early on if you're rusty on your algebra and trig (momentum, relative velocity airplane stuff etc) but other than that, the maths is pretty much year 10 level, it never progresses, you'll see the sigma and delta sign a bit but that wouldn't intimidate you.

Even then if you're not doing physics and doing maths ext 2 its not like you're at some huge disadvantage because you might not have a prior insight/understanding of the concepts because once again its more leaning towards the mathematical processes but that's the advantages I see, Physics overlaps here and there with your extension courses and you generally use the same learning approach for both subjects. Even then its not really an advantage, and you can't really apply the stuff from both courses into each other e.g suvat equations for solving motion questions in maths or differential equations in physics.

Physics is also normally assumed knowledge for engineering courses... so it might be good to consider that. Have you considered doing chem and physics together (instead of bio), they are a common combo because they pair well. But if it had to come down to one of the subjects, I would go physics because it certainly complements your math and sciences (from my experience). Both subjects are extremely interesting and I really regret not choosing chemistry over another subject, if you're doing bio just because you think it's easy and not for interest then you'll get quickly bored which won't enable you to go further.

Best luck for next year.

P.s i just saw that you meant 3U eng and Math but considering that you might lean towards MX2 throughout year 11, I'll leave the above for you so it can be in the back of your mind. Also take this with a grain of salt, let this just give you some ideas to think about when selecting your subjects - your best advisors are your teachers so consult with them.

Last edited:

idkkdi

HSC
Hi! I'm new here I was wondering if anyone could help me out with my subjects for next year.
So currently I'm in year 10, going to select my subjects soon.

Here is what I'm leaning towards:
Ext 1. Eng and Maths (6u)
Japanese Continuers (2u) --> memory based which is easy for me
Biology (2u) --> memory based which is easy for me

That leaves me with 2 units left, but I can't decide between chemistry or physics. Tbh I find both interesting and neither one of them seems easier than the other. I asked my senior friends for advice and told tell me that physics is more math based but only simple maths like formula rearranging and stuff, yet it's more difficult than chemistry- is this true? When I look at the chemistry textbooks for y11 though, it looks so difficult, a bit more than physics tbh. I would choose chemistry because everyone says chem is easier than phys but I have a gut feeling about picking physics idk why hahaha >.< but I'm afraid I'll set myself up for failure with my instincts. I'll get tutored for whichever science I end up picking though

So, what do you guys think? Chemistry or physics? Or should I trial both at the start of year 11 for a few weeks, giving me 14units (but I'm afraid this might be an overload of content & I don't even know if my school will allow it, I attend a selective school), and then I could drop the science that I dislike? (12 units)
Thank you!
chems more memorisation than phys imo.

yanujw

HSC
If you looked at chemistry vs physics yourself and feel more comfortable doing physics, go for it. People saying that chemistry is better for x, or physics is better if y are generalising for people that are undecided, but it looks like phys is what stands out to you, so you should pick that.

joe mama

HSC
If you're planning of doing maths ext 2, physics might be better in terms of complementary subject rather than chem. There's a fair share of physics-ish topics within Mathematics Advanced+ courses. You will first encounter it in Maths Adv in the form of motion and then projectile motion in maths ext 1 and finally Mechanics which includes SHM, 3D Projectile Motion, Resisted Motion and more.

Physics gives you the opportunity to conceptualise these phenomenon early on with Kinematics and Dynamics and get used to using Newton's laws such as F=ma which you will use a lot in mechanics. This is really helpful because it saves the time required in learning the basic physics and gives you a better insight when doing questions such as drawing freebody diagrams. Physics is hard not for its maths but more of its combination of qualitative and quantitative analysis, I've enjoyed it a lot though and its a no brainer if you're going to do Ext 1 or 2 because you'd probably be capable to understand all the maths required meaning you'll have way easier time than those individuals who are coming in with subminimal math skills. You will be punished in some harder questions in dynamics early on if you're rusty on your algebra and trig (momentum, relative velocity airplane stuff etc) but other than that, the maths is pretty much year 10 level, it never progresses, you'll see the sigma and delta sign a bit but that wouldn't intimidate you.

Even then if you're not doing physics and doing maths ext 2 its not like you're at some huge disadvantage because you might not have a prior insight/understanding of the concepts because once again its more leaning towards the mathematical processes but that's the advantages I see, Physics overlaps here and there with your extension courses and you generally use the same learning approach for both subjects. Even then its not really an advantage, and you can't really apply the stuff from both courses into each other e.g suvat equations for solving motion questions in maths or differential equations in physics.

Physics is also normally assumed knowledge for engineering courses... so it might be good to consider that. Have you considered doing chem and physics together (instead of bio), they are a common combo because they pair well. But if it had to come down to one of the subjects, I would go physics because it certainly complements your math and sciences (from my experience). Both subjects are extremely interesting and I really regret not choosing chemistry over another subject, if you're doing bio just because you think it's easy and not for interest then you'll get quickly bored which won't enable you to go further.

Best luck for next year.

P.s i just saw that you meant 3U eng and Math but considering that you might lean towards MX2 throughout year 11, I'll leave the above for you so it can be in the back of your mind. Also take this with a grain of salt, let this just give you some ideas to think about when selecting your subjects - your best advisors are your teachers so consult with them.
ahhh! TYSM for the advice :) I will keep the correlation between ext 2 maths and physics in mind, although I dont think that my maths capability will exceed ext 1 maths hahaha
My ideal course would be in the medicine industry like a radiologist, physio, optometrist etc, and most of them are flexible with any of the three sciences as assumed knowledge
And thank you for wishing me luck for next year :D

joe mama

HSC
chems more memorisation than phys imo.
Ahhh I feel like that would be the case by looking at past papers online
But apparently in physics there are a lot more complex ideas to wrap your mind around, that's what scares me about physics

joe mama

HSC
If you looked at chemistry vs physics yourself and feel more comfortable doing physics, go for it. People saying that chemistry is better for x, or physics is better if y are generalising for people that are undecided, but it looks like phys is what stands out to you, so you should pick that.
okay! thank you so much you're right :inlove:
uhhhhh I really hope I don't set myself up for failure by picking that though hahahhaha

ExtremelyBoredUser

Bored Uni Student
HSC
ahhh! TYSM for the advice :) I will keep the correlation between ext 2 maths and physics in mind, although I dont think that my maths capability will exceed ext 1 maths hahaha
My ideal course would be in the medicine industry like a radiologist, physio, optometrist etc, and most of them are flexible with any of the three sciences as assumed knowledge
And thank you for wishing me luck for next year :D
I never in a million years thought I would do maths ext 2 let alone maths advanced haha I was going to do standard, but after studying maths more conceptually I was able to save more time and improve my skills more faster. Trust me, if you're a hard worker, anything is possible. I've felt MX2 rewards your determination in maths and in that sense its the most satisfying, it might be a little too early to consider the course but you'll get a good understanding if its right for you or not throughout the year. Don't rule it out so early, you'll find in some topics you do in your prelim course that link to some ext 2 content and you can use that to go even further with your understanding.

Please don't pick physics or chemistry from these posts alone, get some consultation from your teachers and many other sources to make an informed decision. I suggest studying a bit of the content beforehand to get a taste for the content for both physics and chem, and the one you enjoy the most you can choose. I'm just giving a REALLY broad overview and my opinion and I don't want it to be a deciding factor, let these reasons just be something to think of.

And for the physics concepts, if you set yourself thinking its going to be extremely hard or impossible, you won't go far. Physics is definitely challenging but in another sense its really rewarding - the topics you go through are mostly interesting and there are many resources online and opportunities to go beyond the scope. Don't be intimidated into not choosing subjects, rather not choose it if you prefer X over Y. And on a final note, MX1+ and physics will be extremely challenging if you try purely memorising the content than really having a deep understanding - physics and maths reward more conceptual learning than pure memorisation, you can see this in the trend of questions in past papers.

Last edited:

joe mama

HSC
I never in a million years thought I would do maths ext 2 let alone maths advanced haha I was going to do standard, but after studying maths more conceptually I was able to save more time and improve my skills more faster. Trust me, if you're a hard worker, anything is possible. I've felt MX2 rewards your determination in maths and in that sense its the most satisfying, it might be a little too early to consider the course but you'll get a good understanding if its right for you or not throughout the year. Don't rule it out so early, you'll find in some topics you do in your prelim course that link to some ext 2 content and you can use that to go even further with your understanding.

Please don't pick physics or chemistry from these posts alone, get some consultation from your teachers and many other sources to make an informed decision. I suggest studying a bit of the content beforehand to get a taste for the content for both physics and chem, and the one you enjoy the most you can choose. I'm just giving a REALLY broad overview and my opinion and I don't want it to be a deciding factor, let these reasons just be something to think of.

And for the physics concepts, if you set yourself thinking its going to be extremely hard or impossible, you won't go far. Physics is definitely challenging but in another sense its really rewarding - the topics you go through are mostly interesting and there are many resources online and opportunities to go beyond the scope. Don't be intimidated into not choosing subjects, rather not choose it if you prefer X over Y. And on a final note, MX1+ and physics will be extremely challenging if you try purely memorising the content than really having a deep understanding - physics and maths reward more conceptual learning than pure memorisation, you can see this in the trend of questions in past papers.
Woahhh I have a bit of hope for ext2 maths now
From year 7-9 I was absolutely terrible at maths with like 50-60% averages but I mean hey this year I’ve been improving and my most recent math exam I scored 96% :D hopefully I’ll be like you and end up doing extension 2 maths because I really really love maths!
and of course, I will take your replies as general advice
I’m going to give conceptual learning a go from now on!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)