Subject Selections (1 Viewer)

Tamlin

HSC
Hey guys!
Like many of my Year 10 cohort, I'm one of those students who is currently within a dilemma about my subject selections. I've got a few options and I would appreciate it to hear your opinions!

These are the subjects I've locked in for now:
  1. 3 unit English
  2. 3 unit Maths ( considering taking Maths Extension 2 )
  3. Chemistry
  4. Biology

However, I am in need of a third subject and my choices are:
  • Legal Studies
  • Ancient History
  • Economics

I find legal studies & ancient history more appealing than economics. However, most parents are against legal studies as it's considered a slightly risky subject (not to mention the massive amount of memorising I've heard is required). I've also heard that in ancient history, it is insanely difficult to score well and a LOT of work and effort will be needed. I'm the type of student who doesn't have any defined strengths or weaknesses either so I'm on the fence for this.

As for taking economics, both my parents HIGHLY recommend it as they are both economic majors. I don't hate economics but I don't love it either. Would I just be better off listening to my parents?

And my final question...

Does it matter whether the teacher for biology is good or not?

Within my school, my teacher for biology isn't the best and most of my cohort agree with that. However, I've heard that biology is the easiest out of all the sciences so does it really matter if the teacher is decent? I wouldn't say they're the worst teacher but they really aren't up to most of our standards.

Thank you sm! :angel:

Godard

HSC
Hi,

I have studied economics, but not the other two subjects (I have heard from friends that legal studies there is quite a bit of content - cases, legal principles, etc). I personally found economics to be quite interesting as it gives you a better understanding of business and the financial world around you.

Have you had a chance to look at what the economics syllabus covers? If you have any questions about studying economics for HSC, I'd be happy to answer them. :)

fan96

617 pages
HSC
Uni Grad
Your parents could probably provide a lot of help to you if you do Economics but ultimately they aren't the ones sitting the HSC - you are.

Pick the subject you're most interested in. Don't worry about how much work you might need to do because your enjoyment of a subject can massively shift your perception of its workload. The easiest subject can become a nightmare to someone who hates it and conversely, even four units of Maths can seem like two if you enjoy the subject.

And remember that your first four subjects gives you 10 units already so if you don't like it you can just drop it in year 12. But do you really not have any other choices than those three that you might consider? Does your school offer Physics, for example?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)