Subjects + electives to choose for Accounting and Finance major (1 Viewer)

RishBonjour

HSC
Need some help.
Which are the most relevant electives for both majors in first year?

sinawi

HSC
Don't the compulsory acc and fin units take up your first and second semester anyway?

sinawi

HSC
Picture 31.png

Just ignore the ANHS stuff - that should be the general gist of what you should be picking

RishBonjour

HSC
subs.JPG

thats mine. But I still have an elective to pick I think. Do you have the link for the list of electives sinaaawwiii? UNSW website is so much more accessible :(

australiandate

HSC
View attachment 27713

thats mine. But I still have an elective to pick I think. Do you have the link for the list of electives sinaaawwiii? UNSW website is so much more accessible :(
u dont need ECON1002 if your not going to major in Economics. I would add CLAW1001 which is NOT a requirement for your major in accounting but needed for your accreditation for your CA and CPA if you wish to be an accountant

RishBonjour

HSC
u dont need ECON1002 if your not going to major in Economics. I would add CLAW1001 which is NOT a requirement for your major in accounting but needed for your accreditation for your CA and CPA if you wish to be an accountant
so that subjected is REQUIRED for CA and CPA. Without it I won't be accepted? :/
I'll change to it tomorrow. thanks !

Last edited:

kelvin29

HSC
I think the 2013 handbook recommends to do ECON1002 for a finance major?

and also is CLAW1001/2 an easy subject/gpa booster?

RishBonjour

HSC
I think the 2013 handbook recommends to do ECON1002 for a finance major?

and also is CLAW1001/2 an easy subject/gpa booster?
When I went to enrollment day a USYD advisor told me to pick ECON1002. But its unnecessary so I'll probs drop it.

Just hoping they don't involve too many essays.

ilikecats

Meow meow meow meow meow?
HSC
Uni Grad
Check if any of the electives you plan to choose have pre-requisites also.

You don't want to be stuck with the ones you didn't want because ECON1002 turned out to be a pre-requisite for some strange reason...

VIPPER

Aiiiiiiiii
HSC
iirc buss1040 replaces the need to study econ1001+econ1002 (macro) for ca/cpa, but check with the CA/CPA accreditation requirements to be sure - not what some usyd person says.

nb: this is assuming you're a bcom student, not a beco.

Last edited:

RishBonjour

HSC
iirc buss1040 replaces the need to study econ1001+econ1002 (macro) for ca/cpa, but check with the CA/CPA accreditation requirements to be sure - not what some usyd person says.

nb: this is assuming you're a bcom student, not a beco.
yeah, B.comm student.
Also, anyone registered for the BUSS1900 test yet? I just found out now. I'll keep the subject regardless of a pass or fail.

kelvin29

HSC
It is strongly recommended that students who wish to complete a Finance major also complete BUSS1020 Quantitative Business Analysis (or ECMT1010 Business and Economic Statistics A), BUSS1040 Economics for Business Decision Making (or ECON1001 Introductory Microeconomics) and ECON1002 Introductory Macroeconomics in their first year of enrolment (subject to degree constraints) before attempting any FINC units of study.

http://sydney.edu.au/handbooks/business_school/subject_areas/finance.shtml

hmmm, this link says to complete ECON1002.....

can we start FINC2011 then in first year?

RishBonjour

HSC
It is strongly recommended that students who wish to complete a Finance major also complete BUSS1020 Quantitative Business Analysis (or ECMT1010 Business and Economic Statistics A), BUSS1040 Economics for Business Decision Making (or ECON1001 Introductory Microeconomics) and ECON1002 Introductory Macroeconomics in their first year of enrolment (subject to degree constraints) before attempting any FINC units of study.

http://sydney.edu.au/handbooks/business_school/subject_areas/finance.shtml

hmmm, this link says to complete ECON1002.....

can we start FINC2011 then in first year?
Nope we can't, its a "senior unit".

These are my current units, whats yours like?
UOS.JPG

kelvin29

HSC
Yeah mine is basically the same, except my buss1040 is in sem 2 and i don't have CLAW yet.

although i still need to pick an extra elective, preferably an easy/gpa booster one (not sure if CLAW is easy or not)....

and are you still going to pick macro (since its recommended for finance)?

and we cant choose any math units....:(

RishBonjour

HSC
Yeah mine is basically the same, except my buss1040 is in sem 2 and i don't have CLAW yet.

although i still need to pick an extra elective, preferably an easy/gpa booster one (not sure if CLAW is easy or not)....

and are you still going to pick macro (since its recommended for finance)?

and we cant choose any math units....:(
I was initially thinking of applying for comm/law (one of the primary reasons why I choose usyd comm over unsw). But I'm not quite sure yet. Yeah macro shouldn't be that hard? If that fails we can pick up some WAM boosters from art department or something.
CLAW is compulsory for CPA thing though. Although I don't have my mind set on that, i want to have my options open :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)