Subjects for Year 11+12 - HELP! (1 Viewer)

princessvioleta

HSC
Hey guys,
I have subject selection coming up and I was wondering if these subjects are a good choice/combo:

Advanced English
English Extension 1
Information Processes Technology
Legal Studies
Economics
Maths (2 Unit)
Ancient History

I also have a few questions...

1) What is IPT like? I hear it's quite boring with lots of theory, but I'm quite good with computers, so should I do it?

2) I hate maths, but I'm probably good enough to do 3 unit. Is it much different to 5.3 maths, and would you recommend it for someone who doesn't like maths, but could probably score well in it?

3) Is 13 units too much for the HSC? I plan to drop one 2 unit subject and pick up Extension 2 english and Extension History. What are those two subjects like?

4) I want to do a commerce law degree. Are there any good subjects that I should be choosing for this degree?

Thanks for all your help! =]

Existential

HSC
N/A
1) I've heard IPT is pathetic theory.

2) If you don't like maths (and want to do a maths subject), ask yourself "what maths would a dislike less? advanced or general" i personally would faint from boredom in a general maths class, but i would also faint from brain explosion in extension. that is why i do Mathematics.

3) If you can manage English and History well, go for it. Otherwise, steer clear of extensions like I have.

4) Your subjects look pretty well suited to this degree.

kcqn93

HSC
There is quite a big difference from shitty year 10 maths compared to MX1

and for History Extension, if you have the passion and interest for history you'll love it.

noreun

HSC
Extension math is completely different to 5.3.
It would probably help if you liked maths and did 3U. You'd have to think about whether you would spend your time doing well in something that you hate, or spend it doing something that you enjoy which might have a greater connection with a commerce law degree than 3U math.

13 units is a fair amount to have in the HSC. Most people go in with around 10 or 11 units.

English extension is different to year 10 english. The levels between being an excellent english student in year 10 and being in extension english is significant. I learned that the hard way.
Not sure, if it's the same for other schools, but in mine, english ext. prelim is a whole module of romance genre and in year 12, it's crime genre.
History extension is pretty much historiography. Like analysing sources and whatnot.

Kalium_19

HSC
Iv'e heard that what you do in 5.3 maths in year 10 is the entire Mathematics course up to term 3, so if you can do well in year 10 you could probably manage Mathematics. As for extension 1, I wouldn't do it unless a) you really need it or b) you're really good at it and it could possibly make your ATAR higher.

klaris

HSC
Consider modern history instead of ancient if you're looking at law/similar careers.

english extension will help you greatly with your analytical skills and will also help with advanced english. it's a lot of work outside of class but most definitely worth it.

english extension two; you choose your own topic/theme etc., and write a short story/poetry/film-media on your chosen topic. i've heard extremely good things about it.

economics is good but you must be a good student and alert to grasp the concepts. i'd recommend it for what you're planning on doing. both legal studies and modern history go fantasically with economics.

remember, your decision is most likely going to change dramatically over the next two years so have a hard think of what you like and what you excel at before choosing subjects. NEVER, EVER, EVER choose a subject for scaling or "because i have to"

hope this helps

Tofuu

HSC
Consider modern history instead of ancient if you're looking at law/similar careers.

english extension will help you greatly with your analytical skills and will also help with advanced english. it's a lot of work outside of class but most definitely worth it.

english extension two; you choose your own topic/theme etc., and write a short story/poetry/film-media on your chosen topic. i've heard extremely good things about it.

economics is good but you must be a good student and alert to grasp the concepts. i'd recommend it for what you're planning on doing. both legal studies and modern history go fantasically with economics.

remember, your decision is most likely going to change dramatically over the next two years so have a hard think of what you like and what you excel at before choosing subjects. NEVER, EVER, EVER choose a subject for scaling or "because i have to"

hope this helps
maybe MX2 is an exception (only if you will put a decent amount of effort in or you're a math freak)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)